Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
triniti
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation Bluetooth and DUN on 8800 Problem

Please Login to Remove!

Maybe I put this in the wrong place before.

I have scoured this newsgroup and the entire web for about 3 days trying to figure out why I can't wirelessly access the web using Bluetooth on my 8800. I have tried everything and it just won't work. Bluetooth sync and tethering via USB work perfectly fine though. When I look at the BT specs in the BB it says that DUN is supported but I simply can't get it to work. In the Bluetooth Device manager it doesn't even list DUN in the list of Services in the Properties area. No BT DUN connections are listed in the Dial-Up tab either.

I am using BB Desktop Manager 4.2.18, BB OS 4.2.1.90 and have a ThinkPad R60 with integrated Bluetooth (ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate). I have updated the BT software and firmware to the latest versions available on Lenovo's site. Yet and still I still have 2 items in my Device Manager with an exclamation mark. They are called 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device'. I am assuming that one of these are for the DUN, but I'm not sure. I have scoured by notebook and the net to try and find drivers for these things and can't find any anywhere.

Could someone please point me in the right direction with this thing I would really like to get this working with no wires and is actually one of the reasons I left the 8700C.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
antineutrino

Model: 8100
PIN: 23DF669E
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had a similar problem with my pearl:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...explained.html

Try to get it paired first, then start up the Desktop Manager and try to make it connect via Bluetooth. Once it's connected with the desktop manager, you will be able to see the "DUN" in the Windows Bluetooth properties.

I heard that some people were not able to hook it up with the desktop manager (the bluetooth option was grayed out.) So far, the only explanation I have seen on this issue was that RIM's software (desktop manager) does not yet work with your bluetooth stack drivers.

Anywho, let us know..
Old 04-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
triniti

I did exactly as you said and it still won't work for some reason. The DUN option never appears in the Bluetooth Device Settings area of my ThinkPad OR in the Device Properties area of the 8800 BUT does show up in the Bluetooth Options menu of the 8800. It seems as if there must be some sort of driver issue leaving DUN out on my TP or something. I would really like to know where to look and how to resolve it.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
antineutrino

Model: 8100
PIN: 23DF669E

Quote:
Originally Posted by triniti View Post
I did exactly as you said and it still won't work for some reason. The DUN option never appears in the Bluetooth Device Settings area of my ThinkPad OR in the Device Properties area of the 8800 BUT does show up in the Bluetooth Options menu of the 8800. It seems as if there must be some sort of driver issue leaving DUN out on my TP or something. I would really like to know where to look and how to resolve it.
It is a driver issue. Dig around and find out what kind of stack your BT adapter uses and see if you can experiment with other drivers (if any.) And... always make sure you upgrade to the latest possible rim software as they might include your wireless adapter in their newest release.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
triniti

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by antineutrino View Post
It is a driver issue. Dig around and find out what kind of stack your BT adapter uses and see if you can experiment with other drivers (if any.) And... always make sure you upgrade to the latest possible rim software as they might include your wireless adapter in their newest release.
Anyone seen a workaround for this issue yet? I still can't get it to work and I have the Dobson OS and latest Blackberry Desktop in place. Drivers are updated on the ThinkPad also.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
atmfrank

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Default BT driver incompatabilities

Unfortunately this problem points an issue with competing bluetooth technologies. Without going into the details I just want to share with you my observations with 8100 and 8800 BB's work with 4 different BT stack providers: Microsoft (XP stack), Linksys (modified Widcomm), Widcomm 5.0.1 and Toshiba 5.1.

The only working and repeatable DUN connection for the 8100/8800 I ever got to work was an IBM R51 laptop with a Linksys BT100 USB and the native Linksys. The BB Desktop Manager (latest version) *never* registers a BT connection, regardless of laptop/BT USB used. OBEX still doesn't work even with the Linksys.

My frustration is very high in particular with Dell (D630/D620/D610 laptops) and built-in Toshiba BT module. Nothing works here, the Dell stack (4.2), the latest Toshiba stack (5.1) both will not work, worse yet, the module cannot be disabled so that I could use any USB dongle with Widcomm drivers.

Hours after hours spent with less than desirable results. My IT department supports about 50 BB users in the company (7100/8700/8100/8800). Travelers will continue to use USB cables for DUN.

I am giving up on BT and BB. I read somewhere that Vista drivers might fix things for good, but I have no patience left.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
mikeyharm

Model: 8310
PIN: 242D9376
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmfrank View Post
Unfortunately this problem points an issue with competing bluetooth technologies. Without going into the details I just want to share with you my observations with 8100 and 8800 BB's work with 4 different BT stack providers: Microsoft (XP stack), Linksys (modified Widcomm), Widcomm 5.0.1 and Toshiba 5.1.

The only working and repeatable DUN connection for the 8100/8800 I ever got to work was an IBM R51 laptop with a Linksys BT100 USB and the native Linksys. The BB Desktop Manager (latest version) *never* registers a BT connection, regardless of laptop/BT USB used. OBEX still doesn't work even with the Linksys.

My frustration is very high in particular with Dell (D630/D620/D610 laptops) and built-in Toshiba BT module. Nothing works here, the Dell stack (4.2), the latest Toshiba stack (5.1) both will not work, worse yet, the module cannot be disabled so that I could use any USB dongle with Widcomm drivers.

Hours after hours spent with less than desirable results. My IT department supports about 50 BB users in the company (7100/8700/8100/8800). Travelers will continue to use USB cables for DUN.

I am giving up on BT and BB. I read somewhere that Vista drivers might fix things for good, but I have no patience left.
The scoop on the drivers is kind of a complicated story, but here's how I understand it, and this has been my experience as well:

- The Vista/XP Built-in Bluetooth stack only supports several profiles, like HID (Mouse and Keyboards, etc), Wireless Bypass (RIM Sync), and PAN Networking (Windows Internet Sharing). There is no support in the Vista/XP native stack for DUN thanks to Microsoft's total conversion of their mobile devices to PAN/ICS networking. (When will apple allow MacOS to run on PCs? - I can't wait!)

- RIM only supports the above Microsoft stack for sync (thanks RIM! Only about 25% of BT dongles run on this driver, so there's obviously no support for other non-MS supported devices when you want to sync with Desktop Manager.

- The other drivers, such as WIDCOMM or Broadcom, or BlueSoleil (most drivers are based on one of those three) work great with Dial-up Networking, but since RIM only supports the MS stack in Desktop Manager, none of them work with Syncing to Desktop Manager.

- The interesting thing is that some devices (including my IOGear dongle) work with both the MS and WIDCOMM (or other) drivers, so you have a choice to make - Do you want to Sync wirelessly, or tether.

I came to these conclusions after buying and trying both a WIDCOMM-based (IOGear) device, and a BlueSoleil (RadioShack) adapter, and both yielded the same exact experience. I subsequently returned the BlueSoleil device, as having two was a waste, and RadioShack took it back for a full refund (it was also the more expensive of the two...)

I ended up installing the WIDCOMM driver that came with my device, and using it to Tether, which is more annoying to do with a huge USB cable, which isn't as hard to manage for the occasional sync operation.

I guess it just depends on your preference and which operation is a priority. Hope all of this information helps!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
ag9v

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

I was having similar problems accessing DUN in my Bluetooth Devices in XP SP2.

I found this fix in a Microsoft newsgroup:

Quote:
Here's the fix:
Open up Services (Start->Run->services.msc)
Open up the "Bluetooth Support Service"
In the "Log On" Tab change it to logon as "Local System account" (I had
it set at "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" before)
Leave the checkbox unchecked
Click OK

Don't just restart the service, but restart the computer.
Now I'm having problems getting the VZ Access software to stay connected to my T41p Thinkpad, but at least I was able to figure out the DUN problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
xelencin

Model: None
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag9v View Post
I was having similar problems accessing DUN in my Bluetooth Devices in XP SP2.

I found this fix in a Microsoft newsgroup:

Now I'm having problems getting the VZ Access software to stay connected to my T41p Thinkpad, but at least I was able to figure out the DUN problem.

This didn't fix my issue. I have a HP tx 1000 with a HP / Broadcom Bluetooth stack.

Vista detects the 2 unknown bluetooth devices which no drivers are available for and DUN doesn't show as an option on the PC though it does on the phone.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
xelencin

Model: None
Carrier: None

Dev-Toast » Blog Archive » Uncrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM

For anyone having the issue where DUN does not show as an option and Vista is asking to install 2 bluetooth devices it doesn't have drivers for, the link above will resolve this issue.

It's an issue with both Vista's (Microsoft) Bluetooth Stack and BlackBerry devices. The Vista Bluetooth stack does not support DUN, only PAN (Personal Area Network), and the BlackBerry is the opposite only supporting DUN and not PAN.

A majority of manufacturers are now using the Vista Bluetooth stack over the OEM stack for the Bluetooth chipset.

It's an issue on Microsofts side for cutting DUN support, and an issue on RIM's side for not supporting PAN.
Closed Thread