Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
NorthernJoe

Model: B9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Default Service Data Plan?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I recently got a new sim. It is 3G and it is a blackberry sim. The sim includes unlimited internet, so here's my problem.

Upon putting my sim in and doing your average stuff, I wanted to download the facebook app. Then a notice came up stating "Your service data plan does not support this application, please contact your service provider to upgrade this."

I have de-installed and re-installed but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this, and how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance, Joe.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Service Data Plan?

There's no such thing as a "BlackBerry" SIM. The SIM comes from your service provider, and must have the BlackBerry Data Plan on your account.

Unlimited internet is not always = BlackBerry Data Plan.

Call your O2 customer service and confirm you have the actual BlackBerry data plan or plug-in.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
NorthernJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
There's no such thing as a "BlackBerry" SIM. The SIM comes from your service provider, and must have the BlackBerry Data Plan on your account.

Unlimited internet is not always = BlackBerry Data Plan.

Call your O2 customer service and confirm you have the actual BlackBerry data plan or plug-in.
Thanks for your reply.

When purchasing the phone (very good, btw) I was told by an 02 colleague that to pay monthly I would need this 'Blackberry sim'.

I shall give it a try, cheers.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Also, from what MidnightDraven has posted, it seems UK carriers even subdivide the blackberry services. So FYI don't assume anything and have the carrier explain exactly what you are paying for and what you are getting.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
NorthernJoe

I have contacted 02 and they were very good. They went away and said they had added the blackberry tariff to my phone.

I then go to facebook app and it still comes up with the same message.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It may take some time (minutes to hours to 24hrs) for the plan to be activated on the handset. But see How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ and resend service books. Then try again.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
NorthernJoe

Okay I've spent too much time on fiddling with this. How often do updates for facebook come out? I've downloaded it but now it's not on my downloads or applications.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernJoe View Post
I've downloaded it but now it's not on my downloads or applications.
Facebook requires the BlackBerry Data Plan. Are you certain that it is provisioned to your account yet?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
NorthernJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Facebook requires the BlackBerry Data Plan. Are you certain that it is provisioned to your account yet?
She said it the tariff is implemented with immediate effect. I can only assume the service is immediately in place.

Edit: Plus I got a confirmation text through saying I had received facebook until the 30th December etc. I really hope it's just that it has not arrived yet because this is beyond a joke.

Last edited by NorthernJoe; 11-30-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Joe, there are two things, and I'm not sure which one you are having the problem with.

First, there is the blackberry data service. That could have been activated almost immediately. When it happened, or when it happens, you will have the service books pushed to the device. You will also see GPRS or EDGE in all caps, or 3G with the blackberry logo next to it, indicating you are connected to the RIM/BlackBerry network. If you see GSM or gprs or edge or just 3G without the logo or 3g, then you are not connected to the RIM/BlackbBerry network.

If you are not connected to the RIM/BlackBerry network, do a battery pull with the power on for at least 30 seconds. You may need to resend service books (see above).

The other issue is the facebook app. I don't know anything about it or how it works, but we need to be clear about whether you are troubleshooting the data service in general, or the app.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
NorthernJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Joe, there are two things, and I'm not sure which one you are having the problem with.

First, there is the blackberry data service. That could have been activated almost immediately. When it happened, or when it happens, you will have the service books pushed to the device. You will also see GPRS or EDGE in all caps, or 3G with the blackberry logo next to it, indicating you are connected to the RIM/BlackBerry network. If you see GSM or gprs or edge or just 3G without the logo or 3g, then you are not connected to the RIM/BlackbBerry network.

If you are not connected to the RIM/BlackBerry network, do a battery pull with the power on for at least 30 seconds. You may need to resend service books (see above).

The other issue is the facebook app. I don't know anything about it or how it works, but we need to be clear about whether you are troubleshooting the data service in general, or the app.
Thanks for your time and your response is helpful.

Could you explain a battery pull? Do I just pull the battery out whilst the power is on, leave for 30 seconds?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Yes, with the power on, remove the battery. Wait at least 30 seconds. Replace the battery and wait for the device to boot.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
NorthernJoe

Quote:
Yes, with the power on, remove the battery. Wait at least 30 seconds. Replace the battery and wait for the device to boot.
I have done this and now re-installing the app. Do you think after re-installation I should send the service books?

Last edited by NorthernJoe; 11-30-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If the blackberry data plan is active and you are connected to the RIM network, you will not need to resend service books. If you are not connected after the battery pull, then see the article and follow the instructions to resend the service books.

By the way, from your first post, I gather you have an icon for the download link for the facebook app on your device, that is what you clicked, and you got the error because you did not have data service. If you now click the icon and the app downloads and installs, then all is well.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
NorthernJoe

Still not managed to get the thing working. Been busy after this post.

I have four service books and no option to resend, I've logged onto 02 which offers no advice.

I guess it will be a case of taking it back, disappointing.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Try this. Find the "manage internet email" icon. It may be in a "setup" folder, or look around 'til you find it.

Find the icon, click it, the press the blackberry button to open the menu, and click "service books". Then click the button, "send service books".

What happens? What do you see?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
NorthernJoe

Quote:
Try this. Find the "manage internet email" icon. It may be in a "setup" folder, or look around 'til you find it.

Find the icon, click it, the press the blackberry button to open the menu, and click "service books". Then click the button, "send service books".

What happens? What do you see?
It talks about Blackberry Enterprise activation. Something completely foreign to me. It's all about linking emails together etc. The rest of the setup wizards seem pretty irrelevant.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You still don't have a blackberry data plan (or BIS), or so it seems. If you did you would have seen an option to setup an internet email address, or however it would have been called. That fact that you only see the enterprise option tells us that.

I think you next step is back to O2 to ask what's going on.

I feel your frustration.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-03-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Once you have BIS, you should receive a message along the lines of "You have now been activated on the wireless network".

If you haven't received this, [and the enterprise option being the only one present] you don't have BIS yet, and O2 either haven't set it up, or haven't set it up correctly.

Call O2, try get someone from technical not customer service and explain.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
NorthernJoe

I rang 02 and the representative I spoke to added the tariff, but not the blackberry services.

The sim provisioned within half an hour and all the apps began to work.

Advice to anyone in my position, if you ever come across this problem, do not bother fiddling with your blackberry. Contact 02 and they will fix. But try not to do it through the computer, usually they pass the book and palm you off, whereas the phone is clear and quick.

Thanks to all of the above for the advice, too. Much appreciated.
Closed Thread