BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
sapphriegroup

Model: 7230
Default Blackberry without BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have just received a blackberry from someone who no longer uses it (they've upgraded) & put a new SIM into it.

My question is, what is the scope for me being able to use the email functionality without Blackberry Enterprise Server involved anywhere - will the device check messages itself on pull (via IMAP would be nice) & if so, how would I go about this.

I only really want to play for now but it looks like a useful bit of kit. Are there any versions of BES available for download as a trial \ beta \ "lite" version??

M
Old 04-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

I'll do my best as I'm a blackberry newb as well

I have just received a blackberry from someone who no longer uses it (they've upgraded) & put a new SIM into it.

what model and with what service provider?

My question is, what is the scope for me being able to use the email functionality without Blackberry Enterprise Server involved anywhere - will the device check messages itself on pull (via IMAP would be nice) & if so, how would I go about this.

You can still utilize e-mail through BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). I have a 7105t with t-mobile. All i had to do to set up POP accounts (no IMAP support on BIS i think, correct me if i'm wrong someone) was log into my account on t-mobile, and there was a link to set up e-mail accounts on the website. I have my Gmail (POP) forwarded to my @tmo.blackberry.net address which i set up when i initially activated blackberry service.

I only really want to play for now but it looks like a useful bit of kit. Are there any versions of BES available for download as a trial \ beta \ "lite" version??

I'm not sure you grasp entirely what BES really is. BES stands for Blackberry Enterprise Server. which is an actual server, usually utilized by businesses and government to have mail from that server pushed to their blackberry. Also synchronizes the device with the desktop.

Lastly, if you're just a personal user and would like to get the benefits of an enterprise server, there are several options for hosted BES, which are companies that charge a monthly rate to use their Enterprise Server... just search for the excellent FAQ on hosted BES's on this website
Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T

I will be proactive and tell you the fix to removing an IT Policy if there is one on there go here http://users.tpg.com.au/dan1e1w/

And Welcome, I recomend you read all of the FAQ and do a LOT of searching before you post. Almost all your question are answered all ready.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
sapphriegroup

Model: 7230

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital/blasphemy

what model and with what service provider?
It's a 7230 I think & originally on O2 here in the UK, but unlocked to all networks. Not really a problem as I have O2 & TMo SIM's here spare.

Quote:

You can still utilize e-mail through BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). I have a 7105t with t-mobile. Which i set up when i initially activated blackberry service.
This was my main point of question really - Do you actually need to sign up to a providers specific BB service to be able to make use of email functionality. I know that the GSM "normal telephone" side of things will work just nicely without doing so, so in effect if I only wanted to use it as a phone, that would be fine...

Quote:
there are several options for hosted BES, which are companies that charge a monthly rate to use their Enterprise Server... just search for the excellent FAQ on hosted BES's on this website
I did notice this section, looks like it could be what I'm after. I do understand what BES is (although I am assuming rather than a physical server, it is actually software installed on a server somewhere in the organisation's DMZ? Was just wondering if RIM had a version to test before you buy, seems not though.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm off to do alot of FAQ bashing

M
Old 04-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphriegroup
This was my main point of question really - Do you actually need to sign up to a providers specific BB service to be able to make use of email functionality.
Yup. No Blackberry data plan means no email and no internet.
Closed Thread