Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
scswickman

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default External monitor on a Curve??

Please Login to Remove!

Hi!! New Curve owner (8300 on AT&T). So far, I love it!

I have searched, and have not seen anything on this issue: Can you connect the Curve to an external monitor? If so, is it as easy as just plugging the USB in, or is there something more?

The reason I ask is that AT&T has an unlimited international data plan which I plan to use in Mexico. However, the "unlimited" aspect does not apply if I use the 8300 as a tethered modem to a laptop (apparently AT&T can tell when I am using the 8300 as a tethered modem, and data then costs some absurd amount of $$$).

So, my plan is to try to create a quasi-laptop out of my 8300 without incurring data charges. My thought is to use a Freedom Bluetooth keyboard and, hopefully, an external monitor to create a useable international workstation with "free" internet access. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on what is the smoothest way to have printing capabilities (I think Brother has a multifunction laser printer with Bluetooth)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

No on the display, no on the printer.
Sorry
Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
scswickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Sorry
Dang. Seems like either a huge oversight on the part of the hardware developer or a conspiracy between the hardware developer and the corporate communications giants to keep people paying for both Blackberry/cellular service and home cable/DSL. I'm betting on the latter.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
scswickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Sorry
As far as the printer goes, I guess the solution is to transfer the file you want printed from the Blackberry to a laptop and then print from the laptop? Is it really this cumbersome to print a simple (Word or Word Perfect) document from a Blackberry?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scswickman View Post
As far as the printer goes, I guess the solution is to transfer the file you want printed from the Blackberry to a laptop and then print from the laptop? Is it really this cumbersome to print a simple (Word or Word Perfect) document from a Blackberry?
Yes ... Strange isn't it? ... I remember having a external adapter for my sony clie and that was a few years back. Oh well, fortunately for me, I don't really need the feature.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
justdonating
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24289029

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Yes ... Strange isn't it? ... I remember having a external adapter for my sony clie and that was a few years back. Oh well, fortunately for me, I don't really need the feature.
The Blackberry wasn't really made to handle this function. Remember the primary function is email messaging, everything else is a bonus. What the OP needs is a laptop and data card.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Hi!! New Curve owner (8300 on AT&T). So far, I love it!

I have searched, and have not seen anything on this issue: Can you connect the Curve to an external monitor? If so, is it as easy as just plugging the USB in, or is there something more?

The reason I ask is that AT&T has an unlimited international data plan which I plan to use in Mexico. However, the "unlimited" aspect does not apply if I use the 8300 as a tethered modem to a laptop (apparently AT&T can tell when I am using the 8300 as a tethered modem, and data then costs some absurd amount of $$$).

So, my plan is to try to create a quasi-laptop out of my 8300 without incurring data charges. My thought is to use a Freedom Bluetooth keyboard and, hopefully, an external monitor to create a useable international workstation with "free" internet access. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on what is the smoothest way to have printing capabilities (I think Brother has a multifunction laser printer with Bluetooth)?

Thanks in advance!
What could you do with your BB attached to a monitor as a quase laptop? It would be extremely limited, and the web browsing experience would most definitely suck especially at monitor size. If you wanted to turn a phone into a quase laptop, I would have gone with a windows mobile professional device.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Yes, it is. You need drivers for whatever the printer may be, software to open the document and interact with the drivers to print it, and then hardware to support the usb port being used for such a function.

A BlackBerry is not a laptop, and is not meant to replace one.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
scswickman

Thanks guys. All good and useful comments. I guess that I will just enjoy the 8300 for what it is, and stop trying to make it something that it is not.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Thanks guys. All good and useful comments. I guess that I will just enjoy the 8300 for what it is, and stop trying to make it something that it is not.
Thats a good idea. If you did want something to act as both however, get a Windows Mobile Professional device. WM devices can do a LOT of things, but where it counts most (as a communicator), it does not do anything very well.

A BlackBerry device can't do a lot of the things a WM device can do very well, but is a far superior communication device than ANY WM unit.

That is why I honestly can't see how people can make comparisons about BB vs WM superiority. They both have their OWN strengths and weaknesses. Someone wanting full functionality of a little laptop, but doesnt use a lot of communications features like we have on BB, will probably LOVE WM. Someone who uses communications features a ton, but doesnt need a tiny laptop and phone rolled into one will most certainly pick a BlackBerry. They are two different markets, and neither crosses into each others markets very well.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
asmith909

Model: 7130
Carrier: rogers
Default Whats next? This should be a native feature

I have a Bold. With an number of features of the Bold I find it more reliable than my PC (virus, multitasking, etc). I would like to have its state but use it on an external monitor and Keyboard as well. As a crippled from texting almost 50 year old this is important (you young guys will know this eventually)

I have seen the emulator post and don't know for sure but assume that the PIN state etc is not easily synched with the virtual BB and besides that would be an extra step. I also see some RControl from BB to PC (anyone using this?). BB product managers now is the time to add this feature.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I would also like an external monitor support - for wearing cybergoggles!

Monitor glasses, that is, like the old Sony Glasstrons.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Doesn't eOffice, support printing via Bluetooth??

Yes it does, Printing software application is a unified communication solution for RIM BlackBerry, DynoPlex Inc.

As far as the external monitor, there is a program out there to forward what is on the BlackBerry screen to a monitor. If I will find it I will post back.

As a side note, I heard that some agancies has tried a solution like this using BlackBerry's and plugging them into monitors/printers and using them as psuedo-laptops, I don't know how they fared with it though.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 01-08-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
Ekrimmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Well, I'll just toss this out - the OP could download the BB simulator and run that on his laptop.... I know you can activate them on a BES. Don't know about BIS though.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
ssybesma

Thumbs up solution I found for BB external monitor

I like people who want to do something just to see if it's possible to do it instead of constantly questioning "WHY in the WORLD would you EVER want to do THAT?". Ugh!!! The unhelpfulness of that mentality just drives me crazy. I'm a tinkerer and I appreciate unusual hardware solutions if for nothing else than to stimulate inventive ideas.

(Why climb the mountain? Because it's there...THAT'S the right attitude.)

Anyhoo, there is a thing called a ShowMate that connects via Bluetooth and has a VGA port on it to display your BB on an external monitor.

Must be a market for it, because your idea does exist!

However, they're a little pricey usually -- except for some reason on Ebay where they're going for $34.99 with free shipping (as of 01/17/2009).

See items numbered 400010658867 and 400015046887 for details.

Thanks,

Steve S.
Lafayette, CO

Last edited by ssybesma; 01-17-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Closed Thread