Old 09-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
kalmdr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobil
Default Getting Weary of this

Please Login to Remove!

As of early Thurs. morning, UMA / uma is gone completely. Tried resetting everything. To no avail. Atter the third "wipe" of phone, to have only a temp solution, well . . . .

I do hope there is some solution to this. Otherwise, T-Mobile is getting there phone back.

Yes, the Curve is a great little unit. But it simply not functioning in the manner that it was advertised. The hassle factor is starting to out weigh the enjoyment / utility of the unit. My Pearl was/is flawless.

Can't get 3rd party programs to install from the DTM, Wi-fi is essentially useless, and the time spent trying / hoping for some solution is getting old.

Spent some time at T-mobile store last night (these guys are reps? Geez!) and talked to three other Curve owners. Their sentiments are pretty much the same.

We all paid full boat for the new curve and the H@H router, expecting it to operate - this is a $500.00 investment that's now essentially not performing as advertised. Right now I can count 4 units that are working their way back to T-mobile.

Don't misunderstand, I love the BB's but for half a grand, it should operate.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

kalmdr, I don't know the exact issue you are having, I haven't noticed your questions elsewhere, but, what kind of wipe are you doing? What was the temp solution you tried?

Would this help?
WiFi on BlackBerrys- General Questions - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by JSanders; 09-27-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

No issues here at all since I changed over to the D-Link T-Mo router... I was having serious issues with my old Linksys router... On that router I was also getting UMA in and out all day long....

Not a single issue now (about 24 hours) since going with the D-Link T-Mo router...

What setup are you using??? Cable / DSL??? What router are you using???

Have you checked the router settings??? (192.168.0.1)

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 09-27-2007 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
kalmdr

I've done a complete wipe through the security options. Occasionally UMA /uma has worked. Most of the time - zilch.

I' looked at all the threads, and discovered early on - as did many other - that Transfer Settings was pretty much a deal killer.

I guess I just expected it to work. Matching T-Mobiles wi-fi Router with their phone, should not be an exercise in technological adventure - particularly when I have a number of employees where this option would have been a real benefit, and a moderately large scale purchase of BB's was in the offing.

But right now, values received for money spend, when factored against the effort to get it operating properly, just don't make economic sense. It cheaper to by "junk phones," and have them working as advertised, as opposed to expenive units that 1) don't work as advertised 2) take a considerable time to make work.

I've also spoken to BB, they know of the issues and we're communicating over the exact "circumstances" above.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Cool, you are working on it. There are many more that is working for seamlessly, and lunk and others around would be willing to help if you get to a deadend with Tmo.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

May have to move this to Rants and Raves guys.
WiFi works flawlessly for many people.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
kalmdr

Oh, this is hardly intended as a rant. Just an experience.

Believe me - I want to solve this. And T-mobile thus far has been pretty good.

Once I received the response from T-mobile that it IS an issue with them. I posted it. Hopefully that will be helpful to some in the LA area.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
May have to move this to Rants and Raves guys.
WiFi works flawlessly for many people.
I agree NJ... I am very impressed so far... Voice quality is awesome! My apartment is on the edge of service and I originally was not going to get the 8320 or the h@h service... I now do not have to worry about spotty coverage and IMHO the voice quality is ever better than I was getting before..

If you want my opinion, I think many are having issues because of older routers and / or outdated firmware in the routers..

Kris
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

I've got a WRT54G, updated firmware, so should be the same as what Tmo sells for H@H. I'm ok with UMA as long as I turn off bluetooth entirely...which means I can't use bluetooth headset (Jawbone) at same time as UMA.

Is anyone having good luck using Bluetooth and UMA simultaneously?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I'll have to try the Bluetooth at the same time as WiFi. Haven't tried that yet. WiFi works really well with the WRT54G (and also with the WRE54G Wireless Extenders).
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
vvpprr

Model: 8700
Carrier: T Mobile

After three days with the same issues, finally had someone at Blackberry stay on the phone with me and fixe the problem .I now have UMA on all the time when I log into wifi. Here was my problem and there fix. By the way, when I was talking with him he was handed a piece of paper with the fix.

My problem started with restoring my 8700 into the phone. Everytime I wiped the phone clean the UMA would show up. Every time I restored it, UMA would no come up even though it said wifi on the screen.

The FIX,
Bring up desktop manager. Hit restore. Hit advanced. When the box comes up, in the upper left hand corner, hit file. Find your backup up file and hit it. You will now have two boxes on the screen. Only restore the necessary info one at a time. Calender, contacts etc. Nothing more then you need and stay away from restoring service books. This worked for my Curve and my wifes.

There is a bug in the files that are causing the service books to get screwed up.
I'm sure that people who are first time Blackberry users, and who are not restoring anything, are not having the issue. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by vvpprr; 09-27-2007 at 10:06 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
likefre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I'll have to try the Bluetooth at the same time as WiFi. Haven't tried that yet. WiFi works really well with the WRT54G (and also with the WRE54G Wireless Extenders).
NJ, how are the extenders working for you?
Any substantial difference in range?
Where did you get them for?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

There is a FAQ posted last Saturday which explains that if you restore from another BB, it hoses up UMA. It would have saved you a LOT OF TIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvpprr View Post
After three days with the same issues, finally had someone at Blackberry stay on the phone with me and fixe the problem .I now have UMA on all the time when I log into wifi. Here was my problem and there fix. By the way, when I was talking with him he was handed a piece of paper with the fix.

My problem started with restoring my 8700 into the phone. Everytime I wiped the phone clean the UMA would show up. Every time I restored it, UMA would no come up even though it said wifi on the screen.

The FIX,
Bring up desktop manager. Hit restore. Hit advanced. When the box comes up, in the upper left hand corner, hit file. Find your backup up file and hit it. You will now have two boxes on the screen. Only restore the necessary info one at a time. Calender, contacts etc. Nothing more then you need and stay away from restoring service books. This worked for my Curve and my wifes.

There is a bug in the files that are causing the service books to get screwed up.
I'm sure that people who are first time Blackberry users, and who are not restoring anything, are not having the issue. GOOD LUCK.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by likefre View Post
NJ, how are the extenders working for you?
Any substantial difference in range?
Where did you get them for?
The extenders are great. Got them at Best Buy. 10 minutes to set up. Put one in the basement and one on the other side of the house. Extends the range beautifully.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
I've got a WRT54G, updated firmware, so should be the same as what Tmo sells for H@H. I'm ok with UMA as long as I turn off bluetooth entirely...which means I can't use bluetooth headset (Jawbone) at same time as UMA.

Is anyone having good luck using Bluetooth and UMA simultaneously?
I haven't had any issues with bluetooth and UMA, in fact I used my Jawbone BT all night with no problems. However, I have a westell router provided from verizon DSL. Its worked great so far..

Last edited by Helmdawg; 09-27-2007 at 11:43 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

vvpprr, stick with it -- the (rather large now) snafu with restoring from an older BB device is such a deal killer we understand, somehow it made it through QA without getting caught. Now that you know that fix (selective restore) it will solve all sorts of weird problems.

I guess what I'm saying is once you get yourself out of that accidental hole that T-Mobile/RIM dug for us it's a wonderful device and seems to work fantastically. Definitely worth spending the effort to get working correctly again.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
kalmdr

According to Second Level Support at Tmobile

They will NOT have the wi-fi operating correctly for California for another MONTH - October 22 2007. In some places in CA. - you're okay, but for a large number of users your SOL.

Boy is this a royally botched roll-out.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #18
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:15 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:15 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #20
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
I haven't had any issues with bluetooth and UMA, in fact I used my Jawbone BT all night with no problems. However, I have a westell router provided from verizon DSL. Its worked great so far..
UMA is solid for me EXCEPT when I try to use it with my Jawbone.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what channel your router is broadcasting? I'm on channel 6 with mine.
Closed Thread