BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Alpha752

Model: None
Question Thinking about Verizon Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I am a current Verizon cell customer, and was thinking about upgrading to their blackberry. I was hoping for some input from current customers.

#1- Being mid-contract, I would have to purchase the unit at full price, as far as I can tell thats around $500. Is it worth it at this price? They have a plan with 450 anytime, Night/weekend, and unlimited data for about $75/mo. This seems to be a good deal, is it?

#2- What I want the blackberry for is for the basic PDA functions, but more importantly for email, and web browsing. I am not associated with a company, so it will be just individual. I use gmail for my email, and can access through pop, or web browser. I have a boring job, and think it would be cool to browse the web at work when ever I want to. Is the blackberry a good solution for this? Web browsing is very important

#3- Can the web browser access all sites (html), or just WAP sites? I visit a lot of forums, and would like to surf these on my blackberry. What about speed?

So, will the blackberry fill my desire for mobile internet access? Thanks for your input.

Russ
Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Whatever you do make sure you purchase the 7250 stay far away from the 7750 as it's been dubbed the worst BlackBerry made...
Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha752
I am a current Verizon cell customer, and was thinking about upgrading to their blackberry. I was hoping for some input from current customers.

#1- Being mid-contract, I would have to purchase the unit at full price, as far as I can tell thats around $500. Is it worth it at this price? They have a plan with 450 anytime, Night/weekend, and unlimited data for about $75/mo. This seems to be a good deal, is it?

If you are getting the blackberry along with a new voice plan ($39.95 minimum and a 2 yr contract), you should be able to get it for less than $500, since you will be starting up a new contract. If you just switch it with your current phone, I guess that $500 will be the price. I bought my 7250 on a new contract and got the discounted price. After a couple of months, I rolled the blackberry into my family plan.

#2- What I want the blackberry for is for the basic PDA functions, but more importantly for email, and web browsing. I am not associated with a company, so it will be just individual. I use gmail for my email, and can access through pop, or web browser. I have a boring job, and think it would be cool to browse the web at work when ever I want to. Is the blackberry a good solution for this? Web browsing is very important

It works for me.

#3- Can the web browser access all sites (html), or just WAP sites? I visit a lot of forums, and would like to surf these on my blackberry. What about speed?

The verizon 7250 uses the Blackberry browser and gets html.

So, will the blackberry fill my desire for mobile internet access? Thanks for
your input.

Yup.

Russ
Old 08-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
bbmember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

Quote:

So, will the blackberry fill my desire for mobile internet access? Thanks for your input.

Russ

As I see it, it should be perfect for you. BB works very well for Email, Browsing, IM, and PIM.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
strobe212

Carrier: verizon

you are in the same exact situation that im in. i just bought a BB 7250 from verizon last week. i bought it for the 1 year contract price cause i dont wanna sign 2 yrs. so i payed like $380. i am paying $79.99 for my bundled plan though. maybe thats b/c im in ny. i only use it for personal use. u can view most html sites. it obv has problems with sites that are huge. my suggestion is that if u know that a website ur viewing has a wap site, then u should use it. all in all i am happy with it and i think u will be to
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Go for it. I curently use the 7250 (tired and hated the 7750) for both the data and voice and could not be happier! I used to carry two devices BB7250 and a V710 until others on this board had told me about their success with 1 device for all. You will be happy! I travel the entire uper mid west and the voice works great and the data isn't that bad either. I too had to pay a little extra to get the BB 7250 and have not looked back at that decision I had made, it was worth every penny!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
miketime42

Model: 7750

I currently own the Blackberry 7750 from Verizon, and when I purchased it, the model was being discontinued. I have a family plan, and the data package costs 45 dollars per month. The 7750 has been a solid machine, providing email with superb Blackberry quality; the Web browser runs slowly and it takes a long time to load sites with lots of graphics. In fact, I had difficulty getting on to this site. Overall, my experience with the 7750 has been okay, but now I want SPEED when surfing the web. I am considering going to Cingular and purchase the 7290 because it can operate on Cingular's "EDGE" network. The Web access as demonstrated in the Cingular store is outstanding.

Verizon currently touts their "Broadband access" but it will not work on the Blackberry products they sell - 7250 model. If you want speed, do not go to Verizon.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

The 7750 is the dog of the BB line. Try the 7250 from Verizon. I did a side by side test with a friends 7290 from Cingular and both were equal. I would like to see how they would match when/if Verizon puts out their EVDO. I guess it depends on the market in which you use it.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
supermanfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketime42
I currently own the Blackberry 7750 from Verizon, and when I purchased it, the model was being discontinued. I have a family plan, and the data package costs 45 dollars per month. The 7750 has been a solid machine, providing email with superb Blackberry quality; the Web browser runs slowly and it takes a long time to load sites with lots of graphics. In fact, I had difficulty getting on to this site. Overall, my experience with the 7750 has been okay, but now I want SPEED when surfing the web. I am considering going to Cingular and purchase the 7290 because it can operate on Cingular's "EDGE" network. The Web access as demonstrated in the Cingular store is outstanding.

Verizon currently touts their "Broadband access" but it will not work on the Blackberry products they sell - 7250 model. If you want speed, do not go to Verizon.
On the contrary.

1. Cingular 7290 does NOT support EDGE, only GPRS.
2. Verizon 7250 has the proper chipset for EVDO, just needs a software update if/when Verizon releases it.
3. Current 7250 1xRTT is about as fast as EDGE (much faster than GPRS).
4. My Verizon unlimited BB service was listed as Unlimted Blackberry/EVDO for $40.

I say if you want speed, go with Verizon. I bet that Verizon will release the EVDO update before Cingular releases the Electron - Edge capable Blackberry.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
Alpha752

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to clarify something real quick. I am getting a bit confused reading through the old threads, just may be old info.

If I order a 7250 from VZW next week, and sign up for the phone and data plan, then I will have a browser, and email, right out of the box?
I read some old threads about peoples who didnt have a broswer out of the box, I wanted to make sure this has changed, or will I have to do through some other step?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 08-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
Ominx

Model: 8130

The vzw 7250 comes with the browser right out of the box. No other steps required as long as you get signed up on the proper BB Unlimited Plan.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #12
Alpha752

Very cool. Thanks all. I talked to a VZW rep, and they told me that since my contract is less then 12 months from expiring, they will give me the 2 year discount if I resign. I have to think long and hard about this, but im leaning toward it.

Im sure ill have more questions.

Thanks
Russ
Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
r1man1963

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

The BB is not a PDA though
Old 08-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #14
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

I got a Verizon 7250 through work about three months ago. Prior to this I carried a laptop a cell phone and a PDA and chargers for all three when on the road.

I still carry my laptop because the job requires it, but since the Blackberry can charge from the laptop through the USB cable, I travel with one less device and two less chargers. The cell phone reception is better with the Blackberry than with the cell phone I had. The PDA functions of the Blackberry are not as flashy as my Pocket PC but they are all there. I just installed a beta copy of Mobipocket ebook reader so now I can read books again and life is good.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Alpha752

One more quick question for the Verizon customers, especially the ones with the promo 450/night/weekend/unlim. data plan. Does the phone portion use the Americas choice network? What about the data? Is this a local plan only? Currently I use Americas Choice so I have a national phone with no roaming. I dont travel often, but the few times I do, its come in handy to have a reliable phone.

I couldnt find an answer on Verizons site.

And what is this PIN thing you guys keep talking about?

Thanks, sorry for being a pain.

Russ
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #16
Dusty Saddle

Quote:
One more quick question for the Verizon customers, especially the ones with the promo 450/night/weekend/unlim. data plan. Does the phone portion use the Americas choice network? What about the data? Is this a local plan only? Currently I use Americas Choice so I have a national phone with no roaming. I dont travel often, but the few times I do, its come in handy to have a reliable phone.

I couldnt find an answer on Verizons site.

And what is this PIN thing you guys keep talking about?

Thanks, sorry for being a pain.

Russ
Russ,

The voice service is the Americas Choice Plan and data service is the National Enhanced Services Rate & Coverage Area. Check the coverage map for coverage in your area. I have found that both the phone and data coverage were pretty good from Virginia North to New York and into Canada.

PIN is the unique id number of your blackberry. PIN messaging allows you to send email direct from your blackberry to another blackberry, using the PIN address. You can also download the Blackberry Messenger software that will allow you to instant message other blackberry users.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
Alpha752

Well, I ordered my 7250 from Verizon today. Should be here Wednesday. Im sure ill have a million questions once I get it.

Thanks everyone,

Russ
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #18
bryanhilton

Model: 8830

Quote:
Well, I ordered my 7250 from Verizon today. Should be here Wednesday. Im sure ill have a million questions once I get it.

Thanks everyone,

Russ
I think you will be happy overall. I bought my blackberry for data use only and love it. I still use a cell phone (contract reasons) but once I can get out, I will port my number over to the blackberry. I have verizon for both services. Web browsing is faster if you disable scripts and other features. Love the add ons you can get. I got the thing for $50 bucks and figured if I didn't like it I could sell it at a price enough to cover cancelation fees, but I'm gonna keep it. Was thinking of Nextel (they have a tower on our building so I would get service in the server rooms) but decided to stay loyal to verizon; at last for another 2 years
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #19
Alpha752

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhilton
I think you will be happy overall. I bought my blackberry for data use only and love it. I still use a cell phone (contract reasons) but once I can get out, I will port my number over to the blackberry. I have verizon for both services. Web browsing is faster if you disable scripts and other features. Love the add ons you can get. I got the thing for $50 bucks and figured if I didn't like it I could sell it at a price enough to cover cancelation fees, but I'm gonna keep it. Was thinking of Nextel (they have a tower on our building so I would get service in the server rooms) but decided to stay loyal to verizon; at last for another 2 years
If you have Verizon for both cell and BB, why cant you just use the BB? Thats what im doing, they are just going to put my cell number into the BB. Mabye I missed something.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #20
trustworthy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I tried a Verizon BB and it worked great. But I ended up switching to Cingular while in mid-contract with Verizon because I want to be able to send and received emails when I'm outside the United States. Verizon doesn't offer this and Cingular does. If you are OK with a device that only works in North America I'd suggest you stay with Verizon. They have an excellent network and good customer service. I would add that the folks at Cingular so far have been great.
Closed Thread