BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Dgerre1

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltell
Default Phone goes to "standby" on its own...

Please Login to Remove!

This is a little difficult to explain but I'm gonna give it a shot.

I have a 8300 curve. Everynow and then I'll check my phone and the screen is blue with the Alltel logo in the bottom right corner. It's as if the phone is on some kind of standby...I just press the "end call" button and a few seconds later, it wakes up. Then a few seconds after that, I'll start getting all the texts that were sent (presumably) while it was in "standby"(I'll just call it standby b/c for lack of a better term). I can't get any calls while its in this mode (For example, last night some friends that came to meet me at a bar. They walked up and said they tried to call a few times but it went to voicemail, I pulled out my phone and what do ya know?? It was back in "standby".

I'm wondering if maybe it does this when it doesn't have service?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

It sounds like the phone is turning off rather than going into Standby mode which is different. That Alltel screen only will show when the phone is turning on or off. Are you accidentally pressing the End key somehow?

Are you using a holster or the OEM sleeve? If not, you might want to do so which will prevent the buttons from getting pressed. That or else press the Mute button on the top of the phone to put the phone in actual Standby Mode BEFORE you put the phone in your pocket.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Alltel doesn't have the 8300. I think that you must have the 8330. You might want to check and update your profile.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Dgerre1

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltell

I lock the phone anytime it is in my pocket so I don't think I'm hitting any buttons but it'll also go into that mode while just sitting on my desk or my nightstand.

And thanks, Ill update my profile
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Be aware that locking the phone can still result in buttons being pressed. And if that button is the Red button, the phone will be turned off. Try it for yourself and see.

You should use Standby Mode and/or a holster.

But if it's doing it on your nightstand, then it sounds like maybe you got some moisture or dirt perhaps under/on/around the End key that is causing the phone to respond as if the button was press.

Again I would advise not just putting the naked phone in your pocket to help avoid this.
Closed Thread