Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #21
lg777
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo2007 View Post
Pssssttt...GPS only works outside. And it wont work downtown with all the buildings. GPS relies on getting a signal from the GPS satellites. So you need a clear view of the sky. You may get one or two satellite hits downtown but you suffer for accurate readings.
I've also been trying where I live way outside downtown and no luck either. Outside of course.

Called Bell and they told me they are experiencing capacity issues as they were not expecting so many users but I don't understand that response since locking in a satellite signal would not be a part of their network???

I've been trying both TeleNav and BBMaps.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
Bozo2007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg777 View Post
I've also been trying where I live way outside downtown and no luck either. Outside of course.

Called Bell and they told me they are experiencing capacity issues as they were not expecting so many users but I don't understand that response since locking in a satellite signal would not be a part of their network???

I've been trying both TeleNav and BBMaps.
Dont even bother trying GPS in downtown Toronto CORE (or any other major city). Even in my car with an external antenna it jumps all over the place.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
nez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s__dime View Post
The Telus 8830 also has the GPS enabled and its working AWESOME! Yay for Canada!
ditto - the gps is sweet on the canadian carriers
Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #24
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

For those on Bell / Telus - does the GPS work when you are out of cell coverage range (I'm looking at maybe using the 8830 in the mountains where there is no cell coverage)? I'm getting mixed answers from the Bell reps again.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Gruven

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I too have the 8830 from Bell and the GPS works great. While in the car, I'm able to connect to the satellites and have no issue with location tracking. However, Turn-by-turn voice GPS (powered by TeleNav I beleive) does not work. The message I receive is that the GPS Nav application is temporarily unavailable due to network enhancements.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #26
lg777
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefwic View Post
For those on Bell / Telus - does the GPS work when you are out of cell coverage range (I'm looking at maybe using the 8830 in the mountains where there is no cell coverage)? I'm getting mixed answers from the Bell reps again.

Thanks.
I'm not sure buy after playing around with this feature, I get the feeling that you need data connection to get maps refreshed. The GPS seems to only locate you but you don't have all the map data stored locally.

If this is the case, I hope that someone builds an application that can be stored in a microSD card that contains map data.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #27
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

I know the maps won't work but the reps make it sound like the network is required to give a GPS location. Just wondering if anyone had experiense with that on Bell (or Telus, which I assume would be similar).
Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #28
Bozo2007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is the problem with GPS NAV (telenav) and Bell. There were so many people who downloaded the program and started to use it that it crashed thier server 2 days after it was released. The server it uses is used to bill customers who are on monthly and to bill for data useage as well. Bell rep (level 2 guys) told me this and said they are working on the server with Telenav to get it back up and running as well as bringing French online. He had no date when this will all be done. So we are stuck with the free services (bbmaps and google etc) for now.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #29
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo2007 View Post
He had no date when this will all be done. So we are stuck with the free services (bbmaps and google etc) for now.
That's funny. You guys are complaining because you can't use Telnev (pay for program) while we Verizon guys are crying because we can't use the free stuff. :lol:
Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #30
Fire7

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg777 View Post
I'm not sure buy after playing around with this feature, I get the feeling that you need data connection to get maps refreshed. The GPS seems to only locate you but you don't have all the map data stored locally.

If this is the case, I hope that someone builds an application that can be stored in a microSD card that contains map data.

very true, I got my 8830 today and BB maps work fine, except it has to download data every time you pin point or zoom in and out of a location it would help if there was a application to be able to store it in the memory so you don't have to keep paying for the data.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #31
Fire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
That's funny. You guys are complaining because you can't use Telnev (pay for program) while we Verizon guys are crying because we can't use the free stuff. :lol:

you guys can't use BB maps or Google maps??
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7 View Post
very true, I got my 8830 today and BB maps work fine, except it has to download data every time you pin point or zoom in and out of a location it would help if there was a application to be able to store it in the memory so you don't have to keep paying for the data.
Fire, does your GPS work if you turn off the wireless or go out of wireless range? I know the maps won't download but will it read latitude/longitude coordinates?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #33
Fire7

hey Canadians Student or x student did you guys know there is some amazing voice plan deal in Bell, no license fee no voice mail fee no activation fee. its the cheapest plan I've ever seen
Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #34
Fire7

Quote:
Fire, does your GPS work if you turn off the wireless or go out of wireless range? I know the maps won't download but will it read latitude/longitude coordinates?
to be honest with you I have not tried it yet. but I will and i'll get back here.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #35
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7 View Post
to be honest with you I have not tried it yet. but I will and i'll get back here.
Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated! On another note, do you pay the $10/mo for the GPSNav?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 AM   #36
Fire7

Quote:
Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated! On another note, do you pay the $10/mo for the GPSNav?

No actually I don't pay anything, you pay only for Telenave, but BB map and Google maps are ok for me don't need the Telenav, I've never used Telenav but they say the service is not completed yet.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 AM   #37
Fire7

Quote:

I just tried to do that I turned the wireless Network off and went to maps and directions it worked, but it open the wireless network automatically back ON, so i'm not really sure if you are out of range if it would work, it searches for Satellite signal not network accept when you use the map nav they want to charge you for the data you use for map download each time. technically it should work unless they programed it not to work when you are out of signal because they wouldn't be able to charge you then for the data download. the best would be to try that somewhere with no network signal
Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #38
sguilliard

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_dizzo View Post
i have the 8830, and the gps functionality is enabled, without having to purchase telenav(which is the $10/month service you're referring to). it works right out of the box with BB maps, which is not bad for being free, gives you the speed you're driving at.. and google maps also works with the gps.. although, sometimes, it doesn't update your location as often as the BB maps..
IGNORE; Just noticed I've clicked on the wrong forum! D'oh!

Last edited by sguilliard; 07-22-2007 at 07:32 AM..
Closed Thread