Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #21
mobilegeek

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Moto Q Specs Indicate sGPS

Please Login to Remove!

The specs on the Moto Q 9m indicate sGPS, which usually stands for standalone GPS.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
OS 4.2.1 doesn't support CDMA. The firmware will not flash correctly.
well looking at the article, and from a review before relase this is inhouse or first port of the software to cdma. which would start off that version and as the article states verizon is gonna release it with it off, which would bring it to 4.2.2. so, how do you get ahold of the beta or first release of the cdma 8830 software.

edit: if the same os as he tested 4.2.1 with gps working we install, and it dont have gps then its hardware locked, and never have gps, but only agps.

some other weird stuff i found that the cdma phone drops gps on gsm networks with the chipset its how qualcomm does it.

but if we can get a cdma version of 4.2.1 it would be the fastest / esaiest way to see if its branded locked by chipset, which only agps will work forever with a ported addin supported by vz for navigator and apps that can access that ported app. or is it just turned off software wise, which is just change a few hex codes resign the file for security check and you are good to go

Last edited by wabbit; 08-24-2007 at 12:14 AM..
Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default Another Quote from VZM

I saw this on one of the other forums. Who knows, maybe this is legit.

jkOnTheRun: Verizon BlackBerry update
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
complacent23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post

*crosses fingers*

(But I refuse to hold my breath...)
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #25
DragonHawk

Model: multi
Carrier: Nextel, Verizon

I got the exact same form letter from our Verizon sales rep today. If anyone really doubts the authenticity of this, contact me via private message, and I will forward you his email message, along with his contact information, so you can verify. (I'm not going to post his contact info in a public forum like this.)

My own take on the VZW response:

I find the security claims... dubious, to say the least. The BlackBerry OS already has security features for prompting the user to confirm sensitive actions, such as Bluetooth links, firewall penetration, and, yes, GPS. These features have existed for years, even if GPS wasn't one of the things that got prompted for. Given all the extensive testing VZW supposedly does, you would think they would have encountered the security features before now.

As far as "performance" goes, I'm pretty sure the 8830 GPS features that other carriers offer now perform better than the GPS features that Verizon doesn't offer now.

Unfortunately, at work, we made a "management decision" to go with VZW, and we're contract-committed for now.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #26
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I got the exact same form letter from our Verizon sales rep today. If anyone really doubts the authenticity of this, contact me via private message, and I will forward you his email message, along with his contact information, so you can verify. (I'm not going to post his contact info in a public forum like this.)

My own take on the VZW response:

I find the security claims... dubious, to say the least. The BlackBerry OS already has security features for prompting the user to confirm sensitive actions, such as Bluetooth links, firewall penetration, and, yes, GPS. These features have existed for years, even if GPS wasn't one of the things that got prompted for. Given all the extensive testing VZW supposedly does, you would think they would have encountered the security features before now.

As far as "performance" goes, I'm pretty sure the 8830 GPS features that other carriers offer now perform better than the GPS features that Verizon doesn't offer now.

Unfortunately, at work, we made a "management decision" to go with VZW, and we're contract-committed for now.
Well I can see where your lack of management and research will suffer in the end by going with VZW, and this statement is based on the fact if you really need GPS.

I liked it when I called and spoke to a tech last week before porting over to AT&T, the guy was cool and said man I just got back from Vaca, and 95% of our calls are on this GPS situation, the only thing I can & I QUOTE, is what they tell us to say and nothing more nothing less. On his own note he didnt agree in full but did say I was on the right track, that when the 8830 boots up it finds the GPS and than there modified software goes and turns it off , so they can make money. Security of peoples location give me an break, turn the GPS off if you don't want big brother watching or looking over your shoulder.

Last edited by John Clark; 08-29-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #27
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post

I'll belive it when I see it. Notice how they don't say they'll enable FULL autonomouse GPS to use with even FREE GPS apps. They just say "other"... which could easily be just Telnav or other pay for services. Not only that, but they could easily lock GPS in such a way that it'll unlock as long as you have their GPS service AND then it'll work with other free apps, but not without having it enabled for their software first. I sincerely hope that VZW does good on this and open up the GPS back to "factory spec", but until I see it I'll still make a loud and clear comment about it each time I walk into a VZW shop and someone is thinking about getting an 8830 or looking at one. I go right up and tell them about it. You should see the look on the workers there trying to sell the device to the client after that. It's funny how lies aren't so funny when a customer wants to know the truth.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #28
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

It's too bad the CEO of Verizon Wireless doesn't respond like Steve Jobs did for the Apple faithful when they slashed the price on the iPhone. Less than 2 days after the price cut and his "that's technology" reply (and tons of emails), he authorized a credit to the early adopters. We're several years (if you count the 8703) and tons of emails and posts and still can't get gps.

Last edited by tomtheguitarguy; 09-07-2007 at 05:24 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #29
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtheguitarguy View Post
It's too bad the CEO of Verizon Wireless doesn't respond like Steve Jobs did for the Apple faithful when they slashed the price on the iPhone. Less than 2 days after the price cut and his "that's technology" reply (and tons of emails), he authorized a credit to the early adopters. We're several years (if you count the 8703) and tons of emails and posts and still can't get gps.
And here is the reason why in my opinion and my opinion only

1. VZW says there concerned about your privacy, Translation=How much money can we make off of this?

2. Answering questions in a timely manner, Translation=Did the legal dept tell us what to say when questions like this are asked?

3. Stupid locked down , crippled GUI interface, Translation=Lets raise the price on our worthless software and make everyone that is on our network use it to upload ringtones, themes and more, More Money More Money

4. We are loosing customers because of the GPS issue, Translation=Publish something that the legal dept says is good and OH tell the data group to tell customers that are pissed with us how much better our service and VZ Navigator is next to the competitors , oh and how much more accurate we are next to others.

5. Now one other thing, do you honestly want one of the money mongering CEO's of Verizon Wireless to come on line and post the God's Honest TRUTH? Translation=Uh Yea I want to thank you all for paying for the companies new fleet of Lear Jet's and my new home in the Hamptons and uh well yea thanks. "Snicker Snicker, Suckers"

If VZW Really Truly and Honestly listened to its customer base it WOULD NOT CRIPPLE any Device they sell and find alternative ways to cash in on service/service's ! And that is a FACT

Get the idea ?

Last edited by MichaelBB; 09-07-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #30
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, I know the reasoning, I was just commenting that it was too bad . . .
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #31
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post

1. VZW says there concerned about your privacy, Translation=How much money can we make off of this?

2. Answering questions in a timely manner, Translation=Did the legal dept tell us what to say when questions like this are asked?

3. Stupid locked down , crippled GUI interface, Translation=Lets raise the price on our worthless software and make everyone that is on our network use it to upload ringtones, themes and more, More Money More Money

4. We are loosing customers because of the GPS issue, Translation=Publish something that the legal dept says is good and OH tell the data group to tell customers that are pissed with us how much better our service and VZ Navigator is next to the competitors , oh and how much more accurate we are next to others.

5. Now one other thing, do you honestly want one of the money mongering CEO's of Verizon Wireless to come on line and post the God's Honest TRUTH? Translation=Uh Yea I want to thank you all for paying for the companies new fleet of Lear Jet's and my new home in the Hamptons and uh well yea thanks. "Snicker Snicker, Suckers"

If VZW Really Truly and Honestly listened to its customer base it WOULD NOT CRIPPLE any Device they sell and find alternative ways to cash in on service/service's ! And that is a FACT

Get the idea ?
I don't think I could have said it better myself. Good writing. This is the difference between a CEO who cares about both it's customers and his company's money (Apple) vs the CEO who is blided by the money and thinks he's doing the right thing for his stockholders (Verizon). Which do you think gets more respect?

I think I would have had a little more respect for the guy if he would have just come out and said, "Yep, we disabled it to make more money... you don't like it, get off our network because frankly loosing your measly $150 a month doesn't even make a dent in the accouting paperwork in our basement, let alone our bottom line. What do you think, our company is consumer driven? HA!@!!!"

Unfortunatly for him, I think he's a...

Last edited by John Clark; 09-08-2007 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: language
Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #32
wabbit

why its not native, well gpsOne

verizon still hasnt figured out how to write java apps, nor do they wanna spend 100 bux to rim to sign their app LOL

but basically the gps chip in a 8830 on vz is dead. the qualcomm chip will do the gps like all the other vz phones
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #33
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

I really hope for their sake they don't go the Qualcomm route for GPS stuff. That would really be shady.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #34
wabbit

i'm with you, but even look at the pics of the apps that use it, and one of them is clearly vz navigator, i doubt 2 diffrent apps can be as ugly as vz navigator.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #35
knipknup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Last I checked, Verizon was in business to make money, not serve customers. If you owned the company, you would probably have a different perspective.

You will cope much better if you can learn to enjoy getting shafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post

Get the idea ?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #36
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup View Post
Last I checked, Verizon was in business to make money, not serve customers. If you owned the company, you would probably have a different perspective.

Oh you must work for HORIZON as its called by allot of insiders, make money yes be fair and honest nope there not doing that,.

Since you enjoy getting shafted, enjoy your crippled device, you can use it to shaft yourself.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #37
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Well I'm sure no one mistakenly thinks that APPLE is a non-profit organization or that Steve Jobs wasn't in the business to make money. YET, he did the right thing for his customers. Or rather he's doing SOMETHING GOOD for his customers, which in the end will probably result in him making even MORE money.

Last edited by tomtheguitarguy; 09-10-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #38
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:

If you've ever taken a business class, you would learn, part of running a business is making your customers happy, you just can't run them over once you get too big. They CAN now, but it WILL come back to bite them in the ass one of these days.....it all depends on how many people that can piss off that will take action and make their customer base move.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #39
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER View Post
If you've ever taken a business class, you would learn, part of running a business is making your customers happy, you just can't run them over once you get too big. They CAN now, but it WILL come back to bite them in the ass one of these days.....it all depends on how many people that can piss off that will take action and make their customer base move.
Wireless Call Quality | J.D. Power

guess they are doing something right.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #40
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wireless Call Quality | J.D. Power

guess they are doing something right.
I don't think anyone argues about "the network", but do you honestly believe it's OK for them to shaft you on devices just because they have the best network? Can you imagine how much better they would be if they would compete with uncrippled/unlocked phones? When you talk to people about wireless carriers they always say the same thing about Verizon. "Network rocks, phones suck!" What more do you want... everyone knows this, but I think in the end they want to be able to have reliable calls so much that they bite their lip on the phone issues.
Closed Thread