BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #121
kwhitney

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

I've tried dozens of ToDo applications on the Macintosh, Palm and Windows Mobile platforms, and ToDoMatrix is the first one that actually works for me. The interface is simple, it's always with me, and it's rock-solid in terms of reliability and support.

The integrated web version is continually synced with your device, and a separate backup keeps your data safe and makes it easy to migrate to a new BlackBerry.

REXWireless' website has a very helpful user forum with all kinds of experiences and suggestions from current users that help to get the most out of the application, and the REXguys have a great whitepaper outlining the various time-management methods that can be adapted for use with ToDoMatrix.

The only negative reviews I've seen are due to the price, but I've yet to read about someone who tried the demo and did not like it. It's really liberating to have a trusted system with you all the time that can hold everything you need to remember.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #122
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitney View Post
I've tried dozens of ToDo applications on the Macintosh, Palm and Windows Mobile platforms, and ToDoMatrix is the first one that actually works for me. The interface is simple, it's always with me, and it's rock-solid in terms of reliability and support.

The integrated web version is continually synced with your device, and a separate backup keeps your data safe and makes it easy to migrate to a new BlackBerry.

REXWireless' website has a very helpful user forum with all kinds of experiences and suggestions from current users that help to get the most out of the application, and the REXguys have a great whitepaper outlining the various time-management methods that can be adapted for use with ToDoMatrix.

The only negative reviews I've seen are due to the price, but I've yet to read about someone who tried the demo and did not like it. It's really liberating to have a trusted system with you all the time that can hold everything you need to remember.
If other 3rd party apps worked this well I would be willing to pay the premium for them as well!

This is the most expensive app I have ever put on a mobile device, and it has been, bar-none, the most valuable.

-simpson

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #123
sreeja
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none

Can it download now.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #124
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Web Desktop is progressing, but clearly slower than we had hoped. We are still hopeful for late August but until it passes a full QA run, predicting the exact date is not possible. Web Desktop / wireless synchro has lots of ramifications regarding data integrity so we are taking care to make sure it keeps a user's data safe and secure. Data integrity is job one.

As far as Pocketday, there is always a possibility but our plate is so full from now until the end of the year that it would have to be a 2007 project.

Thanks,

the REXguys
Rex, would there be a chance for this? I am missing the ability to calendar and know when I have different items in todoMatrix scheduled at the same time. It would be nice to be able to show items in PD and possibly even take advantage of PD ability to use the native calendar app to show conflicts - this would satisfy me. I dont use Outlook as my native PIM, I use BB. Just asking...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #125
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

yes...integration with PocketDay would be awesome!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #126
afropete14

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just downloaded the trial myself and I think it is really cool but it just is way too much for me to ever need myself. Another thing that I should have realized by which was still a bummer is that with the SureType keyboard on my Pearl the shortcut letters don't work as easily. Other than that I thought it was really cool.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #127
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default ToDoMatrix Release 2008.03.06.xx

A new release of ToDoMatrix 2008.03.06.xx has been posted.

It includes:

ToDoMatrix Client Release Level 2008.03.06.4x

1) Added adjustments for BlackBerry 4.3.x OS support.

2) Added password option on entry with adjustable idle period (see Profile Preferences).

3) Improved expand / collapse drawer functionality, optimized for trackball equipped BlackBerry smartphones. Enhancements include left / right support while cursor is on any folder within a drawer.

4) Added new expand all / collapse all functionality on the ALL cabinet icon.

5) Added "inbound e-mail autoinjection" feature to the system/unfiled - any email with a subject that starts with "TMX" is automatically injected to the unfiled folder.

6) Added more relative date choices on menus - both on setting relative alerts and on relative alerts within regenerating tasks

7) Changed Delay All function to include choices beyond 30 minutes.

8) Added "Cancel Delay All" menu item so that a user can see alerts as soon as they want to, even if Delay All has been previously invoked.

9) Space bar hot key is re-tasked to [page down] on folder cabinet view instead of expand collapse.

10) E-mail a todo-task / E-mail folder of tasks function enhanced by launching the native e-mail edit screen. Function now allows e-mailing from any profile configured on the BlackBerry and multiple destinations.

11) Delegate e-mail enhanced to launch native BlackBerry email application as well (see previous item on this list).

12) Added color options for drawers.

13) Fixed option to set frequency of opening tips splash screen which is where REXwireless broadcasts new notices (see Profile Preferences).

14) Implemented changes to support up to 10,000 tasks (previous releases had some limitations at 2,500) - this limit can be expanded again if necessary but keeping a limit is helpful for efficient memory usage and allocation.

15) Added ability to "move" a task even if found and acted upon while in a view and not its home folder.

16) Successful selection is now required on alert pop-up - escape no longer supported.

17) Enhanced sync communications logic for greater reliability.

18) Bug fix for internal memory refresh of new dimension values added.

19) Included several minor bug fixes.

Upgrade procedures are always found at:
REXwireless.com/upgrade - How do I upgrade to the latest todoMatrix or ideaMatrix?

Cheers!

--the REXguys--
Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #128
kennethmgreen

Model: Treo
Carrier: AT&T

I can't wait to try out ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix. Both sound like apps I could really use. I am very interested in the ability to sync OTA and utilize a web interface for the non-handheld/desktop data entry.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a way for me to demo the desktop/web app until I actually have a Blackberry. (coming from Treo680, waiting on Bold release)

I asked Rex for some kind of dummy/demo account to test the UI of the web app, and they said no.

Those of you using either TodoMatrix or IdeaMatrix - I would greatly appreciate feedback/reviews on the web-based experience. How is data entry? Moving around the application? Is the interface intuitive? Does it slow you down?

I am 100% sold on IdeaMatrix. It will be a nice replacement to what I've been using on my Palm (Natara DayNotez). Not quite sure about TodoMatrix yet, but seems like a good way to manage tasks. How well does TodoMatrix manage projects? That is, can tasks have sub-tasks? Or be assigned to projects? I'm used to an outline program (Natara Bonsai) and am not sure TodoMatrix is designed that way.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #129
hinky

Model: 8300
Carrier: Verizon Sucks

I'm not sure I understand the practical difference between ideamatrix and todomatrix. I'd like to. I'm also not sure why I need both an idea and to do list. Many programs do have both options.

For those who want to know about fantastic modesl of To Do List / Outliners, look at Bonsai for the Palm which also has a Desktop Client - not a Web based access that costs money annually for a subscription. While this may have been an idea for a revenue model, I'd highly advise not having that option. Many of us have businesses that we backup our desktops regularly and don't want the web access. I hope this will be considered.

Last edited by hinky; 06-05-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #130
awerry

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethmgreen View Post

Those of you using either TodoMatrix or IdeaMatrix - I would greatly appreciate feedback/reviews on the web-based experience. How is data entry? Moving around the application? Is the interface intuitive? Does it slow you down?

I'm used to an outline program (Natara Bonsai) and am not sure TodoMatrix is designed that way.

I used Bonsai when I was on the Palm too. I still love the desktop version, even now. ToDoMatix doesn't allow for subfolders, I've asked for this. Rex said that it may be considered in the future.

So... you can not do outlining the way you are used to. BUT... ToDoMatrix offers some fantastic features that Bonsai doesn't have, so overally, it was a good move for me.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #131
hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by awerry View Post
I used Bonsai when I was on the Palm too. I still love the desktop version, even now. ToDoMatix doesn't allow for subfolders, I've asked for this. Rex said that it may be considered in the future.

So... you can not do outlining the way you are used to. BUT... ToDoMatrix offers some fantastic features that Bonsai doesn't have, so overally, it was a good move for me.
Glad to see that someone else with experience is here. :D Yes, Bonsai is an amazing piece of software... That said, would you say Idea Matrix is more along the hierarchical lists that follows Bonsai? I find it hard to believe that TDM doesn't do subfolders, a real shocker. Have you tried IMX? What made you choose TDM? Many thanks - I really appreciate your guidance with this.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #132
awerry

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinky View Post
Glad to see that someone else with experience is here. :D Yes, Bonsai is an amazing piece of software... That said, would you say Idea Matrix is more along the hierarchical lists that follows Bonsai? I find it hard to believe that TDM doesn't do subfolders, a real shocker. Have you tried IMX? What made you choose TDM? Many thanks - I really appreciate your guidance with this.
No, IMX is not along the same lines as Bonsai. It suffers the same limitation of TDM Drawers and Folders paradigm. I use both TDM and IMX and love both. I've just grown to accept the two level limitation even though I don't understand why it was imposed in the first place.

I chose TDM because it is the best product available for the Blackberry when it comes to task management. What it does, it does very well (e.g. delegation of tasks).
Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #133
hinky

I still can't get IMX to load on my 8830 but that's OK. Looking both over it seems I can use IMX for the same thing for the most part with the exception of extensive text. That doesn't matter as I'm only looking to jot down short ideas and not use my BB as a file cabinet which will fill up with text quickly. I think the idea behind TDM and IMX is to emulate Covey's book and others of the ilk in "getting things done" which is one way of doing things although I might use my pocket device in ways that might require a little more flexibility.

With regard to interface, I'm surprised pressing the trackball doesn't open and close items and I'm required to roll over them and press another key (x). Some things could move along more quickly. I'm also hoping there is no online conneciton required even though there is something about this (hopefully just registration issues.) If I do go this route, it seems I'll go TDM but it makes me wonder why they didn't build in the ability to hold larger docs like they say IMX does. It would seem that to perform some tasks you want to attach those emails, docs, etc. Perhaps it does do this already. Thanks for your answers.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #134
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10

Quote:
...snipped Looking both over it seems I can use IMX for the same thing for the most part with the exception of extensive text. That doesn't matter as I'm only looking to jot down short ideas and not use my BB as a file cabinet which will fill up with text quickly. I think the idea behind TDM and IMX is to emulate Covey's book and others of the ilk in "getting things done" which is one way of doing things although I might use my pocket device in ways that might require a little more flexibility.

....snipped If I do go this route, it seems I'll go TDM but it makes me wonder why they didn't build in the ability to hold larger docs like they say IMX does. It would seem that to perform some tasks you want to attach those emails, docs, etc. Perhaps it does do this already. Thanks for your answers.
While TMX and IMX share some basic features/functions, they are quite different in purpose. As you discovered, IDX is great for jotting down ideas in an organized fashion and it also provides basic alarm functions. It also allows much larger text capability.

TDX is a full blown Task management system that is much better for managing large projects with many tasks. As an example, I'm using it to manage 5 critical cross functional projects that in total have over 200 sub tasks with delegates and milestone tracking dates. Per the Rex guys, the reason for the much smaller input capability is to keep the database engine fast and efficient. I also find this limitation problematic at times but I'd rather have the speed. I do miss the ability to attach email threads, etc like I can do in an Outlook task.

Rex has issued a statement of intend to support syncing with Outlook Tasks, but they have been very quiet on ETA. Based on past history, when they release a GA product it's extremely stable so I'm (somewhat) patiently waiting for more info on this.

I used the original version of Bonsai on a Palm years ago and you really can't compare the two. Bonsai is a great outline based application while TDX is a full blown Task management/tracking system.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #135
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I still can't get IMX to load on my 8830 but that's OK. Looking both over it seems I can use IMX for the same thing for the most part with the exception of extensive text. That doesn't matter as I'm only looking to jot down short ideas and not use my BB as a file cabinet which will fill up with text quickly. I think the idea behind TDM and IMX is to emulate Covey's book and others of the ilk in "getting things done" which is one way of doing things although I might use my pocket device in ways that might require a little more flexibility.

With regard to interface, I'm surprised pressing the trackball doesn't open and close items and I'm required to roll over them and press another key (x). Some things could move along more quickly. I'm also hoping there is no online conneciton required even though there is something about this (hopefully just registration issues.) If I do go this route, it seems I'll go TDM but it makes me wonder why they didn't build in the ability to hold larger docs like they say IMX does. It would seem that to perform some tasks you want to attach those emails, docs, etc. Perhaps it does do this already. Thanks for your answers.
Not that it will matter to you but moving the trackball to the left/right while on drawers will collapse/expand accordingly.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #136
hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Not that it will matter to you but moving the trackball to the left/right while on drawers will collapse/expand accordingly.
Not sure what that is supposed to me but yes, I guess that is a good thing. Personally I probably would rather the snap but at least it is a quick open/close. Just gotta be careful with that trackball.

I've taken a better look at both. Truth is that they could be effectively combined into one and perhaps it might save extra memory since it seems they need to stay resident in order to work. I'm doubly glad I got the 8330 Curve because without the extra memory there is no way I could use this app. Must check into how backup is done. Given how extensive you might want to use the database aspect, it's absurd that there is no desktop version. If you're traveling on a plane or train or anywhere else out of coverage you're out of luck except if you use your blackberry, which isn't so efficient. There is also the inability to have something running on your desktop reminding you of alerts, whether or not it's integrated into Outlook.

No question they are both better built apps than I thought. There is much more effort than other BB apps, all of which cost a ton more than their equivalents, unfortunately, on Symbian, Palm and PocketPC. Thanks for the help.

PS - Idea Matrix still won't launch on the Verizon Curve, the 8330.

Last edited by hinky; 06-06-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #137
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Not sure what that is supposed to me but yes, I guess that is a good thing. Personally I probably would rather the snap but at least it is a quick open/close. Just gotta be careful with that trackball.

I've taken a better look at both. Truth is that they could be effectively combined into one and perhaps it might save extra memory since it seems they need to stay resident in order to work. I'm doubly glad I got the 8330 Curve because without the extra memory there is no way I could use this app. Must check into how backup is done. Given how extensive you might want to use the database aspect, it's absurd that there is no desktop version. If you're traveling on a plane or train or anywhere else out of coverage you're out of luck except if you use your blackberry, which isn't so efficient. There is also the inability to have something running on your desktop reminding you of alerts, whether or not it's integrated into Outlook.

No question they are both better built apps than I thought. There is much more effort than other BB apps, all of which cost a ton more than their equivalents, unfortunately, on Symbian, Palm and PocketPC. Thanks for the help.

PS - Idea Matrix still won't launch on the Verizon Curve, the 8330.
You rpoints are well received. If you are still having issues with IdeaMatrix, just goto rexwireless.com and get in touch with their support. I deal with them often and they are there, even beyond the hours they post sometimes and would be more than willing to help you hash out your issues. Good chatting with you!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #138
hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
You rpoints are well received. If you are still having issues with IdeaMatrix, just goto rexwireless.com and get in touch with their support. I deal with them often and they are there, even beyond the hours they post sometimes and would be more than willing to help you hash out your issues. Good chatting with you!
Thanks! I did just that and they are VERY responsive and are quite impressive. After using the software a bit I realize it does the job far better than others on a functional level. But there are things I need to consider.

Apparently the problem I had with IdeaMatrix is linked to the larger issue for me - the dependency on an outside third party for not just a desktop application but also for data backup and restoral. We fixed Idea Matrix launching (a permissions issue to connect to Rex) but apparently there is no backup except via the web. So let's say you're on a trip out of the country you have no backup until you can connect wirelessly to their servers - syncing to your laptop does not back up your data to local storage. I'm wondering if anyone knows of software that syncs/mirrors all the data in your Blackberry, including those that are in the IDX and TDM software. But with all the security for Blackberry I wonder if anything will be restorable.

One more point which adds to the inability to backup locally. You can't export your data out of the application and can only print/PDF from the desktop application, which includes 6 months of complimentary access.

It's a great application and I can understand why there are a lot of fans. I just have to see whether this kind of third party reliability works for me and the dependence upon other people I'll also have to pay. It's the Blackberry way...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #139
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
A new release of ToDoMatrix 2008.03.06.xx has been posted.

It includes:

ToDoMatrix Client Release Level 2008.03.06.4x
[snipped]

[/COLOR][/B]
You folks have been quiet for a very long time. How is the Outlook sync and the revamped Web Desktop coming??
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #140
wu-wei

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It hasn't appeared in this thread yet, but 2008.03.11.4x has been released for both IdeaMatrix and TodoMatrix. The latest AlertMatrix is 2008.06.07.4x.