Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
AmaThaFetish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: 21f9efc1
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Reload Software:552 on Curve 8520

Please Login to Remove!

So I upgraded my CrunchSMS and my Youtube Player... it says reboot required and I clicked okay, then when the phone restarts right before it shows the homescreen I get a white screen that says "Reload Software 552".

I have been looking around google for a few hours for some answers and I see that I have to reinstall my OS.

Now my question is: 1: if i reinstall the OS will I lose all my paid apps? 2. Will I lose all my info (i.e. bbm buddies, saved passwords, bookmarks, themes, notes etc)

I'm so scared because lately I've been lazy and haven't backed up anything on my phone :(

Please help.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
AmaThaFetish

Default Wootness!

Nevermind, found an answer on Crackberry...

Here is the info if anyone else shall need it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
I JUST had this problem after installing the ap news app and restarting. I couldn't get rid of the error and it didn't look like my 8900 was connecting to the desktop software. I chose the "application loader" option and did "start". When it asks for password just press OK to bypass. I then deleted the ap news app and it was miraciously working! No need for reinstalling OS and didn't lose anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
kf0s

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

You might be able to get back without an OS reinstall, by uninstallnig the apps you just installed. The BlackBerry Master Control Program allows you to get at the modules on your device, and the delete the ones for CrunchSMS and YouTube player. Then restart the device. I think it will start OK. The issue is that you most likely will not be able to install the apps ever again, else you run into the same issue. I think something gets corrupted in some table that is used for these apps. But you can at least backup all your 3rd party apps and data. Then feel free to reload the OS at your convenience (and maybe move up to the latest OS level) and restore.

Eric
Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
AmaThaFetish

Ok... this isn't working and i practically deleted EVERY app on my device... I'm on the verge of tears I need my phone it's my only way to contact anyone... please help
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
AmaThaFetish

Can someone please help???? I desperately need help with this. I will even pay via paypal if I have to. I just want some help. Please!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
wcr3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

If you can get in that far, do a backup and wipe.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
AmaThaFetish

Do what?? Can someone just please help me??? I'm begging. I need my phone... I have no family in my city and its my only way to communicate. Please help me. I'm begging.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
wcr3d

If you can get into desktop manager. Do a backup of your info. When you have that then do a clean install of the device OS. How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ Use this link to learn how to do it. Something software wise is corrupted in your phone. A clean install should fix that. When you're done with that you do a restore. This will give you back your contacts and such. Then you redownload your paid apps and apply the codes you purchased. There is a way of backing up your third party apps if you choose to go that route. How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
AmaThaFetish

Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
wcr3d

You're welcome. You might also give the sites FAQ a browse, just for reference plus has a lot of interesting info. BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
AmaThaFetish

fixed
Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
mpenny

Model: 8900

Glad you got your phone fixed. I thought I bricked mine today but the info you provided about removing the app worked..the last app I installed gave me the Reload Software 552 error and now I'm good to go...thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
paul-bb

I had the same problem. I tried the steps given but without success. Since my BB was new I took it back to the store and they said that it needed to be replaced which it was. They also suggested against downloading Apps directly from the net into the 8520, or any BB, but to use DM instead to prevent this from happening again.

I can't see that the install vector would make ANY difference in whether this happens or not going forward. The symptoms strike me as more likely to be related to conflicts between the existing environment on the BB when the new App install(s) is / are attempted.

If anyone can shed any light on what has occurred, the recommendations from the store personnel, or my assessment of their validity, please do so. I have a decade of user experience with BlackBerries but they were all Corporate builds with VERY limited flexibility. This one is mine and I can do as I like but don't want to keep taking it back to the store every week because I've broken it and can't figure out how to fix it with the available resources, such as this Forum.

Thank you for any assistance or guidance that you are willing to share.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

It shouldn't make any difference how you download and install, OTA vs desktop install. What matters is the app or theme itself. And if you take the advice given, you'll be limiting yourself in the extreme as desktop installs are rare. OTA is standard operating procedure.

From what I gather, stores seldom fix anything and instead just replace the device, even for a software glitch. There are excpetions, of course, but I think you were fed a line of bull because the rep was ignorant or misinformed or just wanted to send you away happy with the least bother.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
paul-bb

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

It shouldn't make any difference how you download and install, OTA vs desktop install. What matters is the app or theme itself. And if you take the advice given, you'll be limiting yourself in the extreme as desktop installs are rare. OTA is standard operating procedure.

From what I gather, stores seldom fix anything and instead just replace the device, even for a software glitch. There are excpetions, of course, but I think you were fed a line of bull because the rep was ignorant or misinformed or just wanted to send you away happy with the least bother.
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. That means that I can't rely on them for support. Any pointers to Best Practices for installs? I couldn't get the instructions to work for the 'Reload Software' error so I need the next step for that if it happens again.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
paul-bb

Well, I'm dead in the water again with the exact same "Reload Software:552" error. Considering that this is a BB 8520 that I've had for just over 24 hours, the only thing in common is some of the things that I downloaded before I reset it. I was expecting the problem to occur after a program announced that a reset was required to complete the install. That error never happened until I stopped downloading from the BB App Store, performed a backup, and then did a soft-soft reset. Now I need to find some instructions on the Forum or FAQ on how to recover from this point and start restoring and reseting until the error reappears to let me know which group the problem program is in.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
paul-bb

I was able to recover & am restoring now. It doesn't look like my backups captured the third party apps so I'll have to look around some more to find out how to get good backups of that data as well. I did have a problem with JL_Cmder V1.9.1 which wouldn't install on my Vista machine. I ended up Googling for it and found a copy of V1.9.0 on BlackBerryFreeks that worked even though the 8520 responses didn't stick to the script.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
mawaissansari

Carrier: STC

will I void my warranty if I wipe my blackberry?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
babi

Carrier: n/a
Question Re: Reload Software:552 on Curve 8520

help! I can't open my BB 8520 anymore! there's "reload software: 552" and a logo that appears every time I open it.. I already tried to follow the instructions on how to use the App Loader but every time I plug my BB to my laptop, it doesn't connect to the device... I don't want to lose my kik app. ('cause I got it for free).. is there any way not to lose my data, apps, etc? I know have to completely wipe my device.. but I don't have any back up files. help pls... help me open my BB and saving all my files. pls.. any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
paul-bb

Default Re: Reload Software:552 on Curve 8520

Babi, sorry none of the more experienced members have responded yet. You may want to try the post on 06-15-2010 that has links about JLComander and Backing up Third Party Apps. I don't know if that will work once you're in the jam you're in but it's the best thing I know about right now. In the future you probably want to take occasional backups so you can recover WHEN something goes wrong again. All devices have problems but BB gives us a good backup to work with if we just use it.
Closed Thread