BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
mockfrog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra
Unhappy Uninstalled PocketMac = Computer boot chaos !

Please Login to Remove!

My copy of the latest version of PocketMac wasn't syncing, so I uninstalled using the Uninstall app in the PocketMac folder, with an intention of reinstalling PocketMac and hoping the syncing would work. (I have a graphite G4 desktop, Panther - 10.3.9.)

Well, it uninstalled, but when I tried to restart, the grey apple looked at me, and nothing else. I waited maybe 5 minutes, then hit the little reboot button on the front of the tower, and the same result.

Tried again, but used the Safe mode key combination (opt/command/shift/delete) - it e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y booted the computer from another system on another partition (which I had previously installed for just such an occasion), then tried running Disk Utility, looking at the offending system, but there was an error half way.

I tried booting again, and just let the apple stay where it was, and turned off the monitor. After maybe 10 minutes, I heard the hard drive spinning, turned on the monitor and the offending system was booting up.

I run Disk Warrior, hoping it will fix the boot problem, and when I wake up (I'd let DW do its thing), DW had finished. I restarted, again it took forever but finally booted up, but the time was 2 hours behind (???). I changed time in Prefs to the right time (automatically linking with the big clock via the net).

My theories:

1. PocketMac had uninstalled some crucial file needed for booting the computer.

2. My Pram battery is gone (hence the date problem). In 11 years of owning Macs, replacing Pram batteries has more than once been the solution.

Today I'll go buy a Pram battery, and try booting the G4 again.

I baulk at installing Panther again (first backing up to DVD what I need to backup) in a process that will take hours (installing + putting backed up files back), but that may need to happen.

With old OS9 I would install a system (clean install) where I was fived a system folder and would just add extensions and prefs where needed.

Any sensible thoughts (save not using PocketMac

-Matt
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
elcivic

Carrier: tmobile

Those sound like some major isuues, I am running tiger and I have uninstalled pocketmac OK. I think you are right about some core OSX files being removed, My only suggestion might be to try using CCC (carbon copy cloner) and clone your drive to a spare, (if you have) and see if she will boot then. If she does not, I think you will need to do an OS re-install.

PS- Try fixing permissions?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
mockfrog

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

I managed to get the main HD to boot, then reinstalled PM, thinking that the files it might have removed, it might reinstall, if that makes any sense.

It still takes 5 times as long to boot, so chances are when I find a spare weekend I'll back up prefs etc and reinstall Panther, which should fix the problem.

Pity it's not like the old days with OS9 - Clean install, drag some extensions and prefs over, presto! Although that's one of the few fantastic things about OS9 compared with the nearly trouble free OSX.
Closed Thread