stirfryguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: Ask
Carrier: VZW
Default Windows mobile 6 user thinking of changing over to BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys

Before I begin, I did search the forums and did read a lot and learned a lot, but I had some more questions.

Background:
I have been a smartphone/ppc user for about 4 years and I am use to the Windows Mobile format. After much thinking and playing with a friends pearl for a little bit, I'm thinking of selling my current phone (Samsung i760) and getting the pearl.

questions:
1. Can I customize the home screen. With a ppc, I loved the pda functionality and I liked seeing my calendar on the front page with my schedule for the day. Is that possible with the pearl?

2. I was reading the data plans and I haven't found anything that compares to my current plan which I understand (BB vs non bb plan.) From reading engadget I can get a 29.99 plan with unlimited data and email. I probably have to get a txt plan, but is there a plan that has all three?

edit: I was reading about a generic data plan, does that mean that I can use my current data plan I have now and use it with a BB?

3. How is the bb software? With wm there is always a third party app that can be bought (weather, schedule, battery to name a few). I thought I remember reading there is bbweather but I can't remember for sure.

So in general, how different is using a BB compared to Windows mobile phones?

Thank you everyone :D I'm sure I will have more questions when I think of them.

Last edited by stirfryguy; 02-02-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

1. To a degree you may be able to do what you want, but I don't believe you'll do exactly what you want. Learn about themes and take a look at the today theme.

2. I'm not familiar with the plans offered by different carriers. T-mobile probably has the lowest cost blackberry data plan. In that case, however, SMS and MMS is not included.

3. I like the blackberry. You need to know that it is different. I recommend you browse the forums and look at the questions from fellow newbies. Look for the "How do I . . ." and the "Why can't I . . ." posts.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
femel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: the tail on the donkey
Carrier: Bell Canada

I am very new with the Pearl 8130, just since Thursday, but I have had an Axim for a few years. My Axim is now in my car a dedicated GPS machine, as I am on Bell Canada and they charge even more for GPS than they already do for the measley Data plan I have.

I love the Pearl. Syncing with the BB was so much easier than the real heartaches I have had with ActiveSync. The contacts and calendar from Outlook are there, and I have a modified Today screen (a copy of the Windows mobile Today screen you are used to), which gives me my upcoming appts from my calendar. Just pick about any Today theme you like the Date and time top portion of the screen and you can just put your own background in it.

The thing you will miss most is the touch screen. But the track ball is easy to use, and the whole navigation is fairly intuitive.

But I love the voice commands on the Pearl, makes up for just about any shortcomings it may have. I have 1300 contacts loaded, and with nothing else done, I can say call "John Doe at home" and damn if it doesn't do it. Remarkable accuracy. Love it, who needs a full keyboard, who needs to type!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
stirfryguy

Thank you to both of you for your quick answers.

The i760 had great voice command, so I will be interested to see how it turns out with the BB.

I figured out the answers to #1 and #3, but I am still confused with the data plan.

To my understanding I can use a generic data plan. My current data plan is $20 for unlim data, 800txt and 100 pix which is great for me since I use about 700txt/month.

To my understanding, I can use this data plan, but I will not have the functionality of the BB services (bb browser, BIS, wireless install). This is not a problem because I will only use gmail imap and I do not use BIS.

Am I correct in my thinking?

I did read http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-possible.html

Last edited by stirfryguy; 02-02-2008 at 06:20 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
seasonedstudent

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Crossing Over!

I recently sold my HTC Touch and got the Pearl and so far am REALLY liking it. I was not completely sure I would be ok with switching, but am glad I did now. I had alot of issues with the Touch and none of them have surfaced with the 8130 so far. As far as the data plans, I am with Sprint and I think theirs is one of the more expensive. There are only two choices, $39.99 that gives you 10mb data and texting and 49.99 which gives you unlimited everything. Pretty spendy in my opinion. I am getting used to the Sure-Type and once you get the hang of it, its pretty cool. Love the trackball to navigate around.
I haven't began to explore everything this phone does, but like I said, so far, its great!
By the way, this forum is a wealth of info...glad I found it!
Laura
Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I've read comments on the forum, latest was the other day, that VZW will not sell a blackberry without blackberry data plan. I can't confirm; just what I've read here.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

this is accurate. VZW requires a data plan
Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
stirfryguy

But does VZW require the bb plan or can it be a another type? Is the generic data plan which I have been reading about for gsm?

I don't have a problem with getting a bb plan (29.99 one) but the plan I have right now I like :D I can't imagine what I would do without a data plan.

also I'm working on getting a pearl right now, trying to find a good price by negotiating :D

Last edited by stirfryguy; 02-02-2008 at 09:57 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post816294
Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
stirfryguy

ok thanks

so maybe someone can change How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ.com to say for non vzw users :D
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You have a point, maybe. But if there's a list of what you can't do with a verizon blackberry, next for a newbie to know would probably be the issue with internal gps. If you don't know, do a search. I don't want to spoil the surprise.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
NickiJ

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I moved over from WM5 in December having been a WM5 user for many years. I have the Blackberry Curve 8320 unlocked from T-Mobile with a Blackberry Data plan. I can't imagine life without my Curve - it does what it says on the box, so to speak. My opinion is this - if you want email on demand (push) and want to benefit from the Blackberry experience as it was intended you need to get a BB data plan. There's just no way around it - the experience with a gdp is like night and day. You can't do much without it.

The generic data plan is cheaper but I kept mine only a few hours before I changed it to a BB data plan. If you're with anyone other than Rogers, you really shouldn't be complaining about the cost of the BB Data plan at all.

Don't expect the same on-screen experience of the screen with WM5 - it's different. With some of the Today themes for the BB you can have your Today items on-screen. Experiment with a few. I've purchased some great themes for my Curve and very nice applications and I am very happy - I don't miss SPB apps or even the WM today screen.
Closed Thread