Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
stevenh4284

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Lost my default search providers

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I have a storm 2 on verizon when I go to the Go To site on the browser I used to have 4 providers to choose from google, bing, wikipedia, and another one. After I updated bbm today and rebooted I now only have bing as an option. Anyway I can get the others back. Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Lost mine also. Kinda pissing me off.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

There's a map for that!

Blame Verizon, they're the ones limiting it.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Oh I do. If it wasn't for there superior coverage I would probably still not go anywhere else.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Check this out from the RIM forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiseman
Greeting and Salutations my angry VZW/Blackberry friends. Well I spent 30 minutes with VZW tech support before they transferred me over to RIM. I told RIM what was happening and they read me this statement "VZW has partnered with Microsoft and will begin pushing BING to all 9530, 9550 and 9630 smartphones immediately. You will no longer have options for your search engines unless you download the app from the blackberry app store. We are sorry this has occurred but RIM has no control over the software that VZW chooses to use." I find it hard to believe (I really don't just wanted to say that) that VZW has not briefed their customer service reps or tech support of this change. Unless they are playing stupid which is really no change for these areas.
Re: My search providers disappeared!!! - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

I just sent this to Verizon at [email address]. I encourage everyone as effing pissed at the bull shiatsu to do the same.....

Hi,
I recently switched from Verizon, and have generally been pleased with the service, support and my new BlackBerry Storm2 device. Earlier today I notice that my preexisting search engine choices had all been removed from the BlackBerry browser and that Bing was my only choice. After calling support and Googling this issue (which turned up this article), it appears that Verizon Wireless has intentionally crippled my device and not only made Bing the default search engine, but removed ALL the other search engines including Google and Wikipedia. Yes, I realize that I can enter Google and search directly from the Google website, but that is an entirely unacceptable workaround for what should not be an issue the first place. This is a mobile device with a limited on-screen keyboard, and being able to access something as basic as the ubiquitous Google search engine in as few keystrokes as possible is absolutely crucial. Although I have been generally happy with Verizon in the few weeks I have been with your company, this is a deal breaker. What is more worrisome is that it may be indicative of a general trend. What if next week Verizon Wireless decides that they no longer like Google Maps and limit me to paying for VZ Navigator? What if the week after that Verizon decides I shouldn't be able to use Pandora and forces me to use Slacker? This is an unacceptable business practice, and as your own attorneys can tell you, by selling a device with a certain set of features and later removing those features you are also exposing Verizon Wireless to a great deal of product liability. I will be terminating my service and returning my BlackBerry before the end of my trial period if this is not corrected before then.
Closed Thread