Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
HRH Trouble

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default 8830 and SOS message

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

We've got two users with the 8830 presently in Aberdeen Scotland. They have the SOS error on the device and can't get a connection.

They've played with the network settings and I've confirmed with Telus that they do have International Roaming on their accounts. However, the lady I spoke to wasn't sure if Scotland was included in the coverage because it wasn't listed. BUT, I told her that the UK IS listed which probably includes Scotland. Am I right?

Anyway, still can't get it to work. Other than having the International Roaming applied, was there something else that was supposed to be done for activation? Maybe they really don't have coverage in Scotland?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Are the sim cards inserted properly?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Any SIM codes set that they need to enter?
If the turn the radio off and then on, does the icon change to at least try and find a cell signal?

Usually an SOS is a SIM issue, not a network issue. Usually.
I've never been to Scotland though.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
HRH Trouble

I'm pretty sure that the cards are seated correctly. I watched them do it.

I know when they change the network settings to Global or GSM they do have a list of carriers show up. But when they select one they just get the SOS error again.

Telus suggested to turn the phone off for 5 minutes and turn on again to get it to work but still failed.

Have not tried turning the radio on and off though.

....just got word...apparently all the SIM cards got mixed up and people have the wrong ones in their phones.

ARGH.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Trouble View Post
....just got word...apparently all the SIM cards got mixed up and people have the wrong ones in their phones.

ARGH.
As one who had problems with the provisioning while in the UK, to have a SIM mix-up would be maddening. Feel the pain!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
HRH Trouble

Thanks for all the suggestions.

And yes, the travellers have gone mad.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
kidhertz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Bell mobility

Verify that the phone serial #"s are in the system (not just the sim #)...when My gf changed here phone, she couldnt get her's to work in the gsm coverage.
That was the problem, she also had the sos issue it took them 2 weeks to figure it out!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
HRH Trouble

I sent an email to the local sales rep explaining the situation. Somehow she must have pulled some strings and the guys in Scotland are now working!

I also had them give me a list of phone numbers and matching SIM card IDS. Every one of them was wrong and I'm expecting some sort of compensation.

Although they screwed up majorly and caused some inconvenience for me, the travellers, and even the sales rep, Telus has been very good and once the right people got involved after confirming the issue, the matter seemed to have been resolved overnight.
Closed Thread