Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default BBos7 Home search function?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a new user transition from BBos5 to BBos7.The one thing that is really letting me down, is how BBos7 behaves when searching on home screen. I used to find it one of the best features of BBos5 when you could just type someones name and have it appear instantly like so.

Now on BBos7, the search from homescreen looks so weird. Even if you deselect every search feature except contacts it still doesn't feel as neat and helpful.
I really hope there's a way to make it appear as it was before, that i just haven't found yet!

Is there any way to make it appear like before?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BBos7 Home search function?

I believe you would be better off not using the homescreen search to look up a contact.

The first image you post is from the phone app, correct? Is that how you are used to doing it. If already using the phone, that's they better way to do it rather than going the search route. And if you are going to compsose a message, go to the compose screen and begin to type the contact in the appropriate field rather then go to search as the first step.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

The OP has the Dial From Home Screen option enabled. In my ancient os 4.5 you can find it under:

phone - options - general options

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...OTUxLmpwZw.jpg

I hope this is available in os v7.1. I will be upgrading my device too and I use this feature all the time.

Last edited by Kirkx; 01-14-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

No. The OP does not have dial from home enabled. What you have with OS 4.5 is irrelevant.

OS 7 (and OS6) can be set to either launch universal search when typing on the homescreen, or application shortcuts.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

What I meant was that the OP apparently had Dial From Home Screen option enabled on his old device running os 5.0 and is trying to get the same functionality on his new device running os 7.1.

Even if this feature is no longer directly supported in os 7.1, there might still be some settings trick that would bring this behaviour back.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I've used application shortcuts pretty much all along, but so far as I know, dial from home is gone. As I say, the dial from home option in the phone app settings is replaced by homecreen option settings to either launch universal search when typing or application shortcuts. So, the "trick" is press the phone button and start typing contacts name.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

No i think what you're saying is correct. You have to press phone, name and then phone again to call someone now. So additionally you got to press the phone button twice. Once before and once after you start typing the name. Personally that's one too many for me.

I dont like the universal search. I'm not a searching kind of guy, and i liked it previously on Bold 9000 where you could just get the device on your hands and start typing the name on the home screen pressing call and have the call initiated at once. Why did they have to make it awkward damn it?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I agree with you. My view for what it's worth is the market is going all touch and the keyboard BlackBerry models have been losing the optimization for keyboard for a while since the touch models started coming out and the OS was being tailored along the way for the touch screen. There are many examples with keyboard and app shortcuts that have been dropped or changed for the worse. I expect the BB10 hard keyboard series will seeming to be a touch model with a keyboard patched on as an afterthought.

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-15-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well sadly that the case. I just didnt expect the RIM would sell their soul to the devil as well, and go with the touch smartphone norm. BB devices are the last of the button type and i hoped things would stay that way, seeing as they advertise their product line as communicators. Well maybe times have changed and communication today is done via smartphone apps and multitouch screens :(
Closed Thread