BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #21
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Sorry! But now I know why people posting from BB's often have doube posts. Duh! Don't hit the back button
Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #22
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

A date/time stamp would be helpful for people keeping track of spending by week, month, quarter, etc.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #23
wireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT-TMobile

After catching up on this thread, been away from it a good week or so, I noticed one poster was stating how they would like notes for exoenses. Well that made me think that actually including a Gas/Travel Expense feature within the software would be very handy as well as one more great feature. The majority of the required Data is being input already. I dont have anything for Travel Expenses handy, but Im sure someone can chime in, if necessary, and let you know what normally is needed by the average company so that the user can be reimburced.

NOTE: just thought of somthing. Maybe you could have a BASIC mileage input screen and then the user could select the EXPENSE screen which would have all of the basic fields with the addition of more fields for such things as Name of Client, Reason for Trip, maybe 2-3 other lines for a meal expense etc.. I know you dont want to make it a bloatware kinda app, but that sounds fairly desireable to me.

Last edited by wireless; 09-13-2005 at 02:46 PM..
Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
reedwade
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless
... including a Gas/Travel Expense feature within the software would be very handy as well as one more great feature...
It turns out that's actually where this has been heading. I work for a small consulting outfit and, like many other BB users, could get a lot of value out of a simple tool to track time worked when and for who plus expenses and mileage.

I'm thinking to release a mileage-only thing initially for folks who only care about that. (Plus it's a nice, small, starting point.)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #25
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

My typical expense report contains:

Mileage (calculated by $ x # of miles)
Airfaire
Food
Tolls/parking
Rental Car/cabfare
Hotel
Other (with description)

Item that needs to be collected for each expense:
Date
Payment method

It would also be nice to be able to input expense prepayments. This would be really nice to have, especially if it had the ability to e-mail the information.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 AM   #26
reedwade

Smile It's Ready -- MileageNotes.com

Thanks to everyone for the comments. It's ready and I need about 5 beta testers plus anyone who has already posted to this thread. PM me if you're interested. Send me your device PIN for the license key. I'll post a follow-up here when the 5 slots are full.

Check out http://MileageNotes.com/

I'd like for anyone who will be beta testing to try both the OTA and the desktop installation if possible and to send me your first impressions as well as follow-on impressions after using the application for a while. Or if you stop using it I'd love to get an understanding of why.

Also, send me info about device model and your wireless carrier.

You'll get a license key good for any 1.x.x release of MileageNotes and my gratitude.

I will be putting this out on Handango but I'm going to wait for some feedback first just to make sure there's no large surprises.

thanks,
-reed

Last edited by reedwade; 09-22-2005 at 01:00 AM..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #27
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Couple of things I noticed so fr, it would be nice to have vehicle profiles. I have a few cars and would hate to mix them up with 1, 2 etc...

Also, I like to change my oil every 3K to 4K. Can it remind me of oil changes based on the milage I enter at fill ups?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:51 AM   #28
reedwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Couple of things I noticed so fr, it would be nice to have vehicle profiles. I have a few cars and would hate to mix them up with 1, 2 etc...
I'll see what I can do there. The purpose for using a number was to make it easy to quickly enter while you're at the pump. Particularly, for the 7100 that makes it a little simpler. But, in fact, I can't think of a really good reason not to change it. I'll investigate further.

Quote:
Also, I like to change my oil every 3K to 4K. Can it remind me of oil changes based on the milage I enter at fill ups?
Yes, I probably need to improve the documentation some but you can create a service reminder of any sort for any mileage and/or time period and the main page will show your current time/distance til due based on the last mileage you entered. You can enter a non-quantity fuel entry just to update the odometer.

On the service list screen you can reset any reminder and it starts again using the current odometer and time.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #29
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

Was looking thru NewsClips 2.0 (awesome app), and came across this: http://www.blackberrycool.com/2005/09/23/00896/

Apparently its a mileage tracker. This could very well be his software but just thought I would add it.

pink
Old 09-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #30
scottd34

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

neat idea, maybe it can be programmed so the user can select metric or us measurements?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #31
Soapm

Finally filled the old tank and loaded it into this program. I believe you need a better format when you view the efficiency report. i would suggest lining them down the screen so the figure alogns with what it is. Also, I took the time to load in several services I had done. They don't print on any report or anything, they are just there I guess.

Lastly, I like to change my oil every 3 to 4K. I don't understand the concept of how to load it in so I will get a warning when I reach that milage. Maybe the documetation will help a slow guy like me???
Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #32
reedwade

Quote:
Finally filled the old tank and loaded it into this program. I believe you need a better format when you view the efficiency report. i would suggest lining them down the screen so the figure alogns with what it is.
I agree, that needs some work. (I've got that listed on the web site as one of the to do items.)

Quote:
Also, I took the time to load in several services I had done. They don't print on any report or anything, they are just there I guess.
The first report, "Summary" shows this. They should also appear on the main screen. The only reason they would not appear is if they refer to a vehicle which has no mileage yet associated with it.

Quote:
Lastly, I like to change my oil every 3 to 4K. I don't understand the concept of how to load it in so I will get a warning when I reach that milage. Maybe the documetation will help a slow guy like me???
Perhaps this is related to the previous item. Do they not appear at all on the main screen? Are you seeing things that look similar to the screen shots on the web site (http://mileagenotes.com/) ?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #33
Soapm

That's what i can't figure out how to do, oil in x amount of miles or tiers in x amount of miles. How do you make those entries?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #34
reedwade

Quote:
That's what i can't figure out how to do, oil in x amount of miles or tiers in x amount of miles. How do you make those entries?
Revisit the web site. I've added a more detailed explanation (with plenty of screen shots) of how to add a service reminder.

I appreciate your feedback. I want this to be easy to use and there's clearly some rough spots that want fixing.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #35
Soapm

I see, so miles is really interval or frequency of service?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:33 AM   #36
reedwade

Quote:
I see, so miles is really interval or frequency of service?
For recurring service reminders--which would probably be all of them--yes. I'll see if a wording change on that screen will help to avoid that confusion in future.

For any particular reminder at any particular time it's miles past the given odometer reading. And the odometer reading associated with the reminder gets reset when you select the reset option from that menu.

Defnitely more intuitive if you already know how the data is structured--maybe less intuitive if you're wanting to use the application.

Last edited by reedwade; 09-25-2005 at 02:37 AM..
Old 09-25-2005, 02:53 PM   #37
Soapm

Well, while watching the games I decided to enter all my next services. Is there a backup feature so in case I have to wipe the BB I won't have to go through that again?

Edit: Would a module that made it sync with the outlook calander be possible? That wouls solve the backup problem and give me visuals when a service is due.

Last edited by Soapm; 09-25-2005 at 02:59 PM..
Old 09-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #38
dcfroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Consider me for a Beta Tester as Well I am a sales rep traveling 1200 to 1500 miles per week gas milage is huge for me right now

PIN 4006F565

PIN 23D1AEE7

Even people that feed the world use Blackberries.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #39
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i was on the list pin is on the sig
Old 09-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #40
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

downloaded seemlessly ota nextel 7520 works great