Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Kenneth L Glick, M.D.

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular ATT
Default Missing Emails And Missing Call Logs

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using an 8300 for 2 months without problems and just had the sudden disappearance of emails and call logs for everything prior to yesterday afternoon (except for 1 or 2 emails). THIS IS NOT A BB MEMORY PROBLEM. I have read all the threads I can find relating to this and they all go into the same instructions about the memory. My BB memory is excellent and something else caused this problem. How can I get those emails and logs back (other than resending which is a royal nuisance)? This is very troubling and I really need to get those call logs and emails back. Are there any other thoughts as to why this happens? In my case, it occurred just after using the Application loader to remove a program called goskip (?). PLEASE SOMEONE TRY TO HELP>>>>>>>> I finally converted from Treo after 2 years and thought I was done with sudden crashes and data loss.....boy is a geek's life tough!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth L Glick, M.D. View Post
I have been using an 8300 for 2 months without problems and just had the sudden disappearance of emails and call logs for everything prior to yesterday afternoon (except for 1 or 2 emails). THIS IS NOT A BB MEMORY PROBLEM. I have read all the threads I can find relating to this and they all go into the same instructions about the memory. My BB memory is excellent and something else caused this problem. How can I get those emails and logs back (other than resending which is a royal nuisance)? This is very troubling and I really need to get those call logs and emails back. Are there any other thoughts as to why this happens? In my case, it occurred just after using the Application loader to remove a program called goskip (?). PLEASE SOMEONE TRY TO HELP>>>>>>>> I finally converted from Treo after 2 years and thought I was done with sudden crashes and data loss.....boy is a geek's life tough!

Do you backup frequently using the Desktop Manager??? If so problem is solved do a resute. As you are positive that it's not a memory problem I am sure you have more that 16,000,000 bytes free right???

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Kenneth, welcome to the Forums.

Would you post your memory free (options > status)? That would better help analyze your issue.

Likewise, as thatzmister asked, do you do a backup of your BB? If not, start. You can retrieve your call logs from a backup if you have done so.

The memory issue "normally" does not have an effect on emails, but routinely on SMS texts, and phone call logs. I guess emails could be deleted and I have seen that mentioned on this board only rarely.

There could be other methods to retrieve those emails, but you don't say what type address those emails were sent to. If the "xxx.blackberry.net" address, they exist nowhere but on your BB (hence the need to backup). If they are sent to yahoo or aol addresses, or pop email address, those emails could reside on one of those accounts' email servers. How you delete and clean those emails will determine the answer to that.

I hope I have been helpful. Your answers and details would certainly be helpful in trouble-shooting your issue. But I have to tell you, investigating your device memory usage will be the first part of that trouble shooting.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Kenneth L Glick, M.D.

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular ATT

File Free: 7479709 bytes
File Total: 55443456 bytes

Most of the lost emails were sent to [email address] and are still available on Groupwise, my email client. My SMS's and call logs are gone
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Kenneth, you only have 7.47 mb free. I am actually not surprised you are losing logs and messages, and would have predicted it, knowing the file free, had you asked ahead of the time.

You say you have read all the threads about what to do, so here you go again...
Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ
How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

My suggestion: First, pull your battery and reboot your BB. Check your file free again (should be over 10mb), then read and follow the many instructions in those links I gave you. You will be shooting to get upwards of 15-16 mb file free. While there is no magic number, that seems to be a good place to be. I have seen some lose logs at 22-25 mb file free, but it is rarer.

Then, about 1x a week, while your BB is powered on, pull the battery on your BB and let it reboot.

Do you have a Micro SD card? You need one.

Meanwhile, if you still disagree that this is not your problem, and that your memory is excellent, I don't know what anyone on here will tell you to make you happy. Follow those instructions above, and you will be.

You didn't answer whether you have a backup or not, hopefully so. Let us know, there is a way to get your call logs from a backup.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-06-2007 at 03:49 AM..
Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Kenneth, you only have 7.47 mb free. I am actually not surprised you are losing logs and messages, and would have predicted it, knowing the file free, had you asked ahead of the time.

You say you have read all the threads about what to do, so here you go again...
Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ
How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

My suggestion: First, pull your battery and reboot your BB. Check your file free again (should be over 10mb), then read and follow the many instructions in those links I gave you. You will be shooting to get upwards of 15-16 mb file free. While there is no magic number, that seems to be a good place to be. I have seen some lose logs at 22-25 mb file free, but it is rarer.

Then, about 1x a week, while your BB is powered on, pull the battery on your BB and let it reboot.

Do you have a Micro SD card? You need one.

Meanwhile, if you still disagree that this is not your problem, and that your memory is excellent, I don't know what anyone on here will tell you to make you happy. Follow those instructions above, and you will be.

You didn't answer whether you have a backup or not, hopefully so. Let us know, there is a way to get your call logs from a backup.

Not to make a smart remark or anything, do you think this problem will ever be resolved by RIM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Well, I do think so, for a longer term solution.

Until then, the honest actual resolution is better memory management as described in the FAQ (much of which is taken from RIM's Knowledge Base articles).

Being in denial like the user above is certainly no resolution

Last edited by JSanders; 10-06-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Closed Thread