BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Funkdrspot

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Recommend a good task management app 4 me please!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I'm just trying to get ideas from some of you more knowledgeable BB users. I find myself alternating between the calendar and the 3rd party app got-2 due to got-2's annoying ability to make appointments disappear if there's a reminder and the way it likes to duplicate the tasks.

I'm considering ToDoMatrix because it seems to be everything i want and more but the cost is ridiculous. Does anyone have any suggestions for something better than got-2 but not as expensive as ToDoMatrix?

I would mainly be using this to make shopping or general 'to do' lists for my days off, but I also like to be able to set reminders to take care of important projects around the house or with my car or things I should be doing on my day off if I have free time.

Also, if anyone would like to make some general recommendations on any apps that they currently use, I would love it cause I'm a BB noob. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

ToDoMatrix is outstanding. Well worth the money.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Funkdrspot

I saw their video on how to use it and how it works and I would love to use it, but the price is ridiculous. $60 for a BB app is a ripoff IMHO. I could see $20 or even $30 but $60 is just too outrageous. I'd rather buy a Ps3 game for that amount.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

this simple search yielded 53 hits:

BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - Search Results
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Soxfan04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I would recommend trying the trial of Todomatrix. It is expensive but it is also a very good piece of software.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

While I use and like ToDoMatrix, for the OP I have this question: What are the inadequacies of the built-in task program? Your needs don't seem terribly complex.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
snape
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: vzw

I held off purchasing TodoMatrix initially because of cost, but then decided to download the trial because I wasn't finding anything else that met my needs. The trial sealed it, and it's probably the best money I've spent on BB apps. It's expensive (relative to other apps), but for me it's been worth every penny - and then some!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm a ToDoMatrix user, and I also think it's well worth the $$$. I've beta tested for them, and their support is top-notch.

For your needs, have you tried MaraTick? That might be what you're looking for - and it's free. MaraTick
Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
Funkdrspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
this simple search yielded 53 hits:
I could go through 2 hours worth of posts to find one that is relevant to my situation AND recent or I could post a question.

There is new stuff coming out all the time so it's not a waste to ask the question every once in a while.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
br4978

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

S4BB TaskMaster - simple, but compatible with BB tasks (syncs w/Outlook, therefore?) and has better search & category viewing/switching than native apps. I've used it for several months with no issues, and it's being updated regularly.

I also own & use Todo Matrix - very powerful and worth the investment for managing complex projects or a very large volume of tasks - really shines in its ability to help you organize, schedule, and view/filter tasks. You'll need to judge if that level of power is needed for your situation. I personally think that Todo Matrix has no peer, and it's well worth the investment if you have a very complex situation. I do not use Outlook, so I can't speak to integration with that platform.

Good luck with your selection process -

MB
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
THE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

Todomatrix is excellent, and they offer a free trial, so I'd recommend you try it and see if it's really for you. If you have lot of complicated projects, it is well worth it.

Another option is PocketInformant. It is more reasonably priced than todomatrix, but still a pretty good program. It integrates fully with the native bb apps. Also offers free trial.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
squeff

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion

While the built-in app is pretty bad, with a little thought it might work for you. What you describe is fairly simple. As I read it, you want to be able to have a laundry list of stuff to do when you get a chance (sort of the high-tech version of the old "honey-do jar") plus you want to set reminders/alarms for a few things.

Both of these can be done with the built-in app. The trick is creating categories that are meaningful and then to use the filter functionality to look at just the category/categories that pertain to the situation (e.g., "home chores").

Now, when I get my Blackberry, the miserable tasks application was something that I simply could not deal with. However, in my case, I manage a half dozen work projects, have family responsibilities, and so forth. I also have need for repeating tasks. So, I looked at a number of applications. None of them were any good. ToDo Matrix seemed overly complex and w-a-y too expensive. However, on the third time I gave it a trial, I fell in love with it. It's not perfect, but the $60 has ended up being well worth it. After calendar and mail, it's my most used tool on my Blackberry.

In fact, I liked it so much, that I ended up also buying IdeaMatrix. This, too, see terribly expensive. But once you start to use it, it works so well that I can't live without it.

I may need to switch away from the Blackberry soon, and these apps are the main reason that I'm having a hard time making the move.

In the end, however, don't pay $60 if all you need is to create a memo that lists "honey-do" type items. That might be good enough.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
squeff

You might also want to see my post here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ml#post1397350

While you don't need the team abilities, you might find that one of the online tools I mention will work fine for you.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Funkdrspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
While the built-in app is pretty bad, with a little thought it might work for you. What you describe is fairly simple. As I read it, you want to be able to have a laundry list of stuff to do when you get a chance (sort of the high-tech version of the old "honey-do jar") plus you want to set reminders/alarms for a few things.

Both of these can be done with the built-in app. The trick is creating categories that are meaningful and then to use the filter functionality to look at just the category/categories that pertain to the situation (e.g., "home chores").

Now, when I get my Blackberry, the miserable tasks application was something that I simply could not deal with. However, in my case, I manage a half dozen work projects, have family responsibilities, and so forth. I also have need for repeating tasks. So, I looked at a number of applications. None of them were any good. ToDo Matrix seemed overly complex and w-a-y too expensive. However, on the third time I gave it a trial, I fell in love with it. It's not perfect, but the $60 has ended up being well worth it. After calendar and mail, it's my most used tool on my Blackberry.

In fact, I liked it so much, that I ended up also buying IdeaMatrix. This, too, see terribly expensive. But once you start to use it, it works so well that I can't live without it.

I may need to switch away from the Blackberry soon, and these apps are the main reason that I'm having a hard time making the move.

In the end, however, don't pay $60 if all you need is to create a memo that lists "honey-do" type items. That might be good enough.
Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

I've tried out Pocket Informant recently and found that it does have it's pluses.

Mainly i'm looking for something that is great for daily reminders that I need to do stuff during the day, To-Do lists or shopping lists and to keep track or to remind me of different home or car projects I should be working on.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
squeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkdrspot View Post
Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

I've tried out Pocket Informant recently and found that it does have it's pluses.

Mainly i'm looking for something that is great for daily reminders that I need to do stuff during the day, To-Do lists or shopping lists and to keep track or to remind me of different home or car projects I should be working on.
Then I'd say stick with the built-in app. If you'd like a little more, consider Remember The Milk: Online to do list and task management. It's free, if you're OK with having to use the browser to get to your tasks. $25/year if you want to sync to you BB's built-in app (which will give you alerts).

Unless you're using PocketInformation and Agendus for its other features, I don't think they offer enough additional in the tasks area to make it worth it.

Based on what you say, give the built-in tasks app a little more time. At least that'll help identify the specific things that are missing (or difficult to use) for you.
Closed Thread