Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #81
sinnfein07

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseNYC View Post
I received my kit the other day and was able to change it out without to much trouble.

The kit includes the side rail extract tool & the torx driver.

I reused my side rails so that, as others have mentioned here, i will have a new set incase i need to replace them in the future. Although thats doubtful since I also put a BES skin on it.

There was a comment earlier about the quality of the keyboards, that they may be factory seconds(?) I'll have to agree with that as a few of my keys no longer have that nice 'click' fee to them.

sinnfein07 - I have the exact same problem as you do. I think I'm going to write them and ask for a new keyboard.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the way it looks.

Personally I didnt end up using the 'mid plate' as I didnt see a need to disassemble it that far. Is there any one who did or didnt and has any comments on the pros or cons either way?

Thanks,
Dave
Hey Dave - I emailed them about my keyboard issues. They suggested that I loosen the torx screws by the battery to see if that frees it up and improves the key feel. Unfortunately I'm out of the US for the next few days and don't have the tool. I'll give it a try on Monday when I'm back home. If you have the opportunity to give it a try, please do and let us know here if it makes a difference.

I also didn't install the mid-plate. It wasn't clear to me that it did anything different than the factory one there already...

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #82
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnfein07 View Post
Hey Dave - I emailed them about my keyboard issues. They suggested that I loosen the torx screws by the battery to see if that frees it up and improves the key feel. Unfortunately I'm out of the US for the next few days and don't have the tool. I'll give it a try on Monday when I'm back home. If you have the opportunity to give it a try, please do and let us know here if it makes a difference.

I also didn't install the mid-plate. It wasn't clear to me that it did anything different than the factory one there already...

Thanks!
Thanks sinnfein! I'm out of town until Sunday night so I'll try it on Monday as well. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #83
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I replaced just the keyboard and found that the tightness of the torx screws really affected the keys. I had to back mine off until they were just barely tight. If I tightened them anymore, the keys became stiff and had hardly any click.

I was going to put the old keyboard back to see if it had the same issues, but by that point I was too tired... I've had it in a week and so far so good.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #84
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

I barely tightened the screws when I was putting it back together. Everything seems fine with my keyboard so far.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #85
NorCalVP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The Devil (Verizon)

I'm going to be ordering the black keyboard for myself and a bunch of guys at my company.

Is the only tool I need to change the keyboard is the Torx screwdriver? or do I need to pop off the siderails too?

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #86
lawdogg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalVP View Post
I'm going to be ordering the black keyboard for myself and a bunch of guys at my company.

Is the only tool I need to change the keyboard is the Torx screwdriver? or do I need to pop off the siderails too?

Thanks
Steve
You'll need both the torx screwdriver and a plastic pry tool for the side rails, but both tools come with the kit if you're ordering from CNN.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #87
lawdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
You'll need both the torx screwdriver and a plastic pry tool for the side rails, but both tools come with the kit if you're ordering from CNN.
Sorry, coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet

If you're ordering JUST the keyboard, I don't know if it comes with the necessary tools. However, you'll need to remove the side rails to R&R the keyboard so you'll need both the torx and the pry tool.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #88
NorCalVP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: The Devil (Verizon)

That's the info I was looking for!

Anyone know if both tools come with the keyboard if you order just that?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #89
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Not sure, but I changed my keyboard only for a week or so. And man, it looks weird with the black keyboard and silver everything else. Looks like racoon.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #90
sinnfein07

Model: 7130e

Quote:

Thanks!
OK - back home now and I just spent the last hour taking my BB apart and putting it back together again to try to solve this - I think I finally figured it out.

Adjusting the Torx screws didn't seem to make any difference - wasn't able to get the keyboard to "feel" any better or to get any real feel from the Green send key - something just wasn't right.

I put the original silver KB into the enclosure, and it also had a lousy feel. When I was doing this for the 15th time I noticed that on the BACK of the LCD lens, there is actually a plastic protective cover with a tab that extends under the keyboard - right under the green send key.

I pulled that cover off and reassembled - MUCH better. Seems like that's the issue I was having. I either missed that step as part of the directions or it wasn't there. Easy to miss a clear cover on the back of an LCD lens
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #91
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
OK - back home now and I just spent the last hour taking my BB apart and putting it back together again to try to solve this - I think I finally figured it out.

Adjusting the Torx screws didn't seem to make any difference - wasn't able to get the keyboard to "feel" any better or to get any real feel from the Green send key - something just wasn't right.

I put the original silver KB into the enclosure, and it also had a lousy feel. When I was doing this for the 15th time I noticed that on the BACK of the LCD lens, there is actually a plastic protective cover with a tab that extends under the keyboard - right under the green send key.

I pulled that cover off and reassembled - MUCH better. Seems like that's the issue I was having. I either missed that step as part of the directions or it wasn't there. Easy to miss a clear cover on the back of an LCD lens
Of course. Makes sense now. I did pull that protective plastic off from the inside of the screen before assembling. And you're right, I didn't see that as part of the video. It's not easy to see that protective cover. Of course, after removing it I had to pay careful attention so as not to get finger prints on the inside of the screen.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #92
vigor21215

Model: 8330
PIN: 319E2F0D
Carrier: Verizon.....

replaced my silver with the full housing from CNN back in oct and I too forgot to remove the protective lcd cover.. took me a min to figure that out...
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #93
sta1

Default BB8830 Black kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRI View Post
Hey everyone. As a result of this thread and the awesome pictures of the black kit, I went ahead and ordered one about 2 weeks ago.

Then I switched to the Pearl.

Then the kit arrived yesterday.

So...... If anyone is interested in purchasing one of these kits brand new and unopened, and would like to make me an offer, feel free.

SOLD. THANKS!

Chris
If you still have the kit to switch BB 8830 from silver to black I'd be willing to purchase from you.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #94
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta1 View Post
If you still have the kit to switch BB 8830 from silver to black I'd be willing to purchase from you.
Notice he says it's SOLD.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #95
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:

That did it for me as well. I found that protective cover and removed it. It seems that the 'protective cover' was also a backing for adhesive(?) that would surround the screen to prevent dust from getting in?

Either way my keypad works like a charm now.

They ought to include some written instructions for that.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #96
jayinla

Model: 8703e

Count me in to the not knowing about the protective cover under the lens. Just took my new "beautiful" black housing apart and bingo, there it was. Keys work perfect now. Good work Sherlock. They really should put something in the directions about this. Wonder how many replacement keyboards they've sent out.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #97
mrjerome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool Black Shell

The black shell seems best for a (BLACK)berry, thats just my 02 cents. But I did order the whole shell for my Verizon chrome/titanium/silver shell. I'm doing the 2 day deal, I can't wait for 2 weeks. I will repost in 2 days!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #98
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjerome View Post
The black shell seems best for a (BLACK)berry, thats just my 02 cents. But I did order the whole shell for my Verizon chrome/titanium/silver shell. I'm doing the 2 day deal, I can't wait for 2 weeks. I will repost in 2 days!
You have made a wise choice mr jerome. You will not be disappointed. I spent hours just staring at my new BLACK 8830 after I did the conversion. Whats wrong with me!!! You may have to seek therapy. I know I need it.. :>)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #99
mrjerome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool My BlackBerry! No TitaniumBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmz View Post
You have made a wise choice mr jerome. You will not be disappointed. I spent hours just staring at my new BLACK 8830 after I did the conversion. Whats wrong with me!!! You may have to seek therapy. I know I need it.. :>)
I'm so giddy about my Blackberry being Black! I just got it about an hour ago, and I replaced everything except the middle frame, I didn't see a need to replace it. I wish directions came along with but I managed to tear it apart and change the covers and the keyboard, oh the keyboard is color is white in stead of the blue, it's not a blueberry but a Blackberry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JGBlackBerry1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	9912  

Last edited by mrjerome; 11-30-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Added Pictures of my BlackBerry 8830
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #100
ChrisLe

Still waiting for mine. Its been 2+ weeks...Should have had it sent expedited service...
Closed Thread