BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
sadeyedlady

Model: 7290
Carrier: cingular -- soon to be verizon
Default sync to two outlook accounts, one enterprise, one not?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi--

Question #1

My blackberry currently syncs to my work's BES, through which I have access to my company email, contacts, etc. (outlook). I'd also like to "dual sync" to my home outlook account on my blackberry (rather than my treo, which I currently use for my home email). Is there a way to sync to both outlooks, especially if one isn't on the enterprise server?

Question #2

Our firm is giving us the option of buying our own Blackberry with our own provider and gaining access to the BES. (Our firm is on Cingular, which is very slow where I live, and with Verizon I'd be able to access their EVDO network.) If I use this option, would the "dual sync" setup described in Q#1 be any easier (or difficult)?

I don't need specific techincal instructions at this point--just a confirmation whether these things are possible will help me to make the jump to Verizon and, sadly, away from Treo, which I now use to sync my personal outlook folder. Thanks to all who answer; too bad I don't trust my firm's tech support people to give me the answer.

Last edited by sadeyedlady; 11-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: to clarify
Old 11-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you can do it. However, it's a little tricky. Any database that sync's wirelessly with a BES will not sync with Outlook. In order to sync via cable you'll have to disable wireless sync for those apps. Just go into the options for each one of those apps, i.e. Calendar >Options and turn off wireless sync. Then sync with the Outlook profile of choice. When you're done, be sure and go back and turn on wireless sync again.

Also, be careful of how you install Desktop Manager at home. If you install it improperly you will disable your email from your BES. If you can access your corporate mail from home via VPN, etc. then you can install for BES. If you don't access mail from home, then install Desktop Manager for BIS use only. BIS use only installation is the safest and will not harm your BES settings but you'll still be able to sync with Outlook.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
sadeyedlady

Model: 7290
Carrier: cingular -- soon to be verizon

Thanks for the reply, John Clark. Just so I understand, it can be done, but I wouldn't be able to sync wirelessly to the home account? (But I could still have push access to my email via the BES, correct?)
Old 11-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

No, you can't get both sync'd wirelessly. You can activate via BES and get your email then just turn off wireless sync for everything else and sync at home and not sync wirelessly for that stuff at all, if you so desire. I actually sync my calendar with my wifes personal Outlook Calendar, then turn my wireless sync back on so that it's sync'd back to my Exchange account at work via the BES.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Make sure your company IT Policies don't prevent you from doing it. ALso keep in mind that your personal data will be merged with your corporate data as there is no way to that I know of to keep it separate. And being that you are on BES, your company "see" everything if they so desire.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
jc01108
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I would like to add a question: can I just sync the calendar and nothing else on the second machine? I want to merge two calendars on a daily basis. Do I risk getting duplicate entries?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
kromega

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you can do it. However, it's a little tricky. Any database that sync's wirelessly with a BES will not sync with Outlook. In order to sync via cable you'll have to disable wireless sync for those apps. Just go into the options for each one of those apps, i.e. Calendar >Options and turn off wireless sync. Then sync with the Outlook profile of choice. When you're done, be sure and go back and turn on wireless sync again.
Hi,
Same situation, 2 outlook that I want to sync to my BB, one pro that sync BES wireless, one private that I want to sync with cable (or bluetooth, possible?)

Will I have to change settings everytime I want to sync with my private laptop ?

Thks

Fabien
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
jdvegas123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel/Sprint

From what I have been reading you can sync two Outlook calendars to a single device. One is done OTA and the other must be done manually via DTM. Will this create to different calendar icons on the device or will it put all entries into one calendar? Do you have to turn of the OTA sync on the device prior to syncing manually?