Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Truman08

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Happy with your Storm?

Please Login to Remove!

I was curious to see how many user are happy with their decision to purchase the Storm? The reviews on Verizon's site are bad, no one seemed to like the storm. I was really looking forward to getting a Storm but after reading the reviews I am thinking of the Curve instead.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Love it. I have two, the 9500 and 9530.

Remember, they've sold well over 1,000,000 Storms. How many reviews were negative?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Truman08

They were 4379 reviews. I read maybe the first hundred and 3 people liked the phone. It got 3 stars overall.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
recondo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMobile

I like you prepared for the worst when I decided to get a storm and I have been VERY happy with it! However most phoneusers donthave the patience to deal with small issues and is why most people love the phone. It is more user friendly, consumer wise...but technically less capable. If you like apps and games get a curve 8900 or an phone. I however LOVE my storm!!!

Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by recondo View Post
I like you prepared for the worst when I decided to get a storm and I have been VERY happy with it! However most phoneusers donthave the patience to deal with small issues and is why most people love the phone. It is more user friendly, consumer wise...but technically less capable. If you like apps and games get a curve 8900 or an phone. I however LOVE my storm!!!

Good Luck!
You made a very good point. I will actually switch to a 9630 Tour when it comes only because I miss buttons. But the Storm really isn't that bad. Try it out, and if you don't like it within the first 30 days take it back, but I suggest you wait for the Tour to come out because it might just be another better option than the Curve, which is also a great phone.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Mehtayo

I love my Storm! It does everything I want it to and more. Sure there are a couple of extremely minor issues that just require a slightly more patient mind to deal with, but it's nothing that hurts the functionality of the phone imo. It's the perfect phone for email and/or IM apps, call quality is always crisp and clean, and global support is second to none, so as far as communication goes, which is what a phone is primarily and historically meant for, it's one of if not the best cell phones on the market today. The clickable touchscreen is not only original, it's innovative and very user friendly. To be able to confirm a selection before actually selecting it has been a very useful feature for me particularly.

The SureType qwerty is impressively accurate, only having understandable complications predicting usual "txt tlk", and for that, the normal qwerty works fine. The touchscreen is always very responsive to me even at a lower-than-max sensitivity setting, and typing on the virtual qwerty keypads is always a breeze for me.

Probably the biggest disappointment for me is the fact that it doesn't have WiFi...which I'll never understand why RIM didn't bother including it, since it's practically a standard feature on almost all other comparable smart phones. Even so, Verizon's EVDO network is pretty fast and rather broad to its credit, which makes the lack of WiFi tolerable. One other disappointment was that it doesn't support mp4 music files, but even that isn't a big deal since I have an iPod nano, I don't use my phone to listen to music much at all, still it would be nice to see a software update in the future that upgrades music file support on the Storm.

Aside from those two minor grievances, I can't find anything bad to say about the Storm that isn't decisively diluted by all other amazing features and capabilities. I personally think it's the best looking of any phone out there, definitely more stylish than the iPhone, and built very strong. I did pretty extensive research towards the end of last year when I decided it was time to replace my pathetic little pay-as-you-go Virgin Mobile flip phone I'd had for 3 years. I was actually wary about going with Verizon, but the Storm was all the persuasion I needed after looking into it and weighing it against the competition. It wasn't cheap but it was still money well spent imo.

Last edited by Mehtayo; 06-20-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Love the storm. Coming from QWERTY berries, it was a change that I had to get used to but I find I love it more than other berries I have had (8700g, Curve, Bold), even though nothing could ever replace my trusty 8700g (god I loved that phone). Now the Storm fits the mold perfectly. Regardless of what crap has been said about the Storm, its your personal preference - and mine is I love it!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I love it also.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Green_Teg
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3056d36d
Carrier: Telus Mobility

I never had the money at the time to get one around launch and had to wait a while. All the terrible reviews from people complaining about countless problems almost put me off from one but I've always hated the trackballs. I owned a pearl before and spent more time trying to clean it so I could actually use it then anything. I eventually went out and just got a Storm 9530 because it never had the trackball and I only had a few problems with it. I had it randomly reboot on me and a memory leak but I had absolutely no problems typing fast with it or accurately or any of the other problems with regards to the touch screen that all the complaints were about. I couldn't be happier with the phone. Sticking with the default theme seems to keep the phone running faster and better in general but I'm fine with the default theme anyways. And somehow the problems with the phone randomly rebooting itself seems to have solved itself. Sure the phone isn't perfect but it's 1,000 times better then my old Pearl and I have yet to hear of any perfect phone out there. This is by far the nicest phone I've used.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

after selling my 9530 and picking up a 9500 vodafone i am so happy that when i went to look at the iphone 3GS -32gig i decided to stay with the storm because it was doing a perfect job. the only reason i decided to go with 9500 was it was a full GSM phone my EDGE up 100 percent of the time. i feel that the 9500 is the perfect blackberry.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
mdanese

Model: Tour
Default Not really

But the Tour should be here soon. I don't hate it anymore, but it is not as responsive as actual keys are, for the phone or typing. Some things are really very nice, including the much larger screen. The video is nice too.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by recondo View Post

Good Luck!
What do you mean its less capable technology wise?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
LivingLegendary

I have had a Storm 9530 for about 2 months now and I love it. It takes a while to get used to, but it grows on you. A lot of people complain about the push-touch screen. However, I find it nice due to the fact that I have big hands, and so it's nice to confirm that I have my finger on the right button before I type it in (my iTouch drove me crazy when typing things in).

The only issue I'm having with my Storm right now is the MP3 player. It's simply not up to par with the iPod MP3 player that allows you to do so much more, like replay a single song (which I frequently like to do). However, my biggest issue with the MP3 player is that the MP3 player cuts the volume after a song finishes if I log my screen. I have no idea how to fix this. I'm trying to find another MP3 player, because I think it's the MP3 software (Pandora doesn't do it).

Other than that, this phone gets 4 1/2 stars from me.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman08 View Post
I was curious to see how many user are happy with their decision to purchase the Storm? The reviews on Verizon's site are bad, no one seemed to like the storm. I was really looking forward to getting a Storm but after reading the reviews I am thinking of the Curve instead.
I had a Storm for 8 days and returned it after tons of issues with the OS (.75). I wasn't about to hang on to it in hopes that Verizon would soon bless an update from RIM that would work well. We may try a Storm again when it is version 2 with WiFi IF it has none of the ridiculously hassle-involved problems that the Storm had. If I had .148 I might have been on the fence about returning mine, but .75 was a total loser.

THere--you asked. I don't want to hear any personal attacks because I didn't like the Storm.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just think that the Storm was kind of rushed since the iphone needed some competition. Now that the Palm Pre is out, I am hearing some great things about that phone. But I am also hearing some negative things. Nothing is ever hassle free. But I recently asked my brother in law about his iphone, if it ever locked up or anything. I told him I had to pull the battery when my Storm got sluggish and slow and locks up, and he said when his iphone does that, all he has to do is turn it off and back on and it is perfect again. No battery pull (you can't get to the battery anyways unless you want to void the warranty and crack the case), no special things to do, just turn it off then back on again. I was like, no way! Why didn't RIM make it this easy? Who knows. Yes the Storm is still in its infancy and I am sure a lot of people will not like the new one. But, since I exchanged my old Storm for another one I have had not really had many problems with it. I have had to only do a battery pull like twice since I have had it, which has been almost a week now. The only reason I had to do a battery pull last time was because I downloaded a few apps. For the most part, 148 has been great, except for the status light going out after a while which I am sure they will fix. I am really liking the Storm, but I think the best phone I have ever had has to go to the Motorolla e815. In my opinion it was the best phone I ever owned. I miss that phone.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #16
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

We have 3 9530's in our house hold. Two out of the 3 of us are very very happy. My wife loves the phone but hates typing on it. (she has long nails)I think for here I will get the Tour. I bought all 3 with only a one year contract. I paid a little more but I can buy a new phone faster. I don't do the 2 year crap.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
slipNslide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone India

It was my brother decision to buy the storm. he was expecting it to be a lot like the iphone, and more.

he didnt like it too much and promptly took my bold and handeddoen the storm to me.

i found it too slow and didnt like it too much.after using it for about 2 months now, i;'ve started to like it. i aways found it a little too slow, but 'stoptilt' kind of made it faster for me.

waiting for the onyx to upgrade!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
recondo

@riley

Technically, yes! The iphone is just now beginning to obtain functionality that should be standard on a smart phone...ie: mms messaging, copy/paste, multi tasking, tethering, exchange integration, IT group policy administration, A2DP, etc...

The iphone is very user friendly and functionality wise, will do the job for most people migrating from a regular phone to a smart phone...apple appears to have focused on the consumer market when designing the iphone and rightfully so, its a great phone, its pretty damn sexy too. However, technically not as robust for a power user or one who utilizes their phone for more business oriented tasks...

So depending on your background...choose wisely.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #19
recondo

Thanks Drummerboyz!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #20
Carmel Valley Homes Agent

Model: Storm

The new OS makes the Storm a lot better. I had trouble with the keypad at first in portrait mode and the new OS gives a full keyboard in portrait. Some say that the letters are too small for their fingers, but my fingers are pretty big and I don't seem to have problems. It's a lot better than trying to double-tap.
The only issue that I have is that sometimes there is a lag (clock rotating in the middle of the screen) which delays switching between programs. I've even had this issue when trying to answer calls... and had them go to voicemail rather than answer. But it's not all the time, and I hope to find the solution in this forum.