BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
pendetim

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Tour GeoTagging- Am I missing something?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new BB Tour from Verizon with the stock firmware.

When I take a picture the little white bullseye shows in the lower right corner, the picture shows in media manager with the GPS tag and it shows the correct location in BB maps.

However when I E-mail, MMS or mass storage move the picture to my PC and upload to Flikr or open in Picassa the Geotagging data seems to be missing. I have also tried directly uploading the picture to Flikr using the BB application with the same result.

How do I move the picture from my Tour to Flikr or Google Maps/Earth and preserve the Geotag and have it locate itself on those maps?

If I have to manually locate all my pictures, what is the value of the Geolocate feature?

Tim
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Liisa84
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 30BA5D3*
Carrier: Verizon

I would like to know about this as well.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I just tested my geotag info from a file I copied to my computer. It worked. A program I have used the geotag and located the photo's location on gmaps.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
LateNighter

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

If you install itookthisonmyphone and upload your photo's to them they will geotag great on their website. You can then download the picture from their website or from your phone and upload them with picasa and mine geotag just fine also. The problem I have found is I use Blackstar to keep the GPS hot and locked then I startup the camera to take the picture. Otherwise about 9/10 times the GPS never starts up when I take a picture thus no geotagging gets recorded.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
dsartain

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I've tried copying an image I've taken from my phone to my PC and loading it directly into Google Earth, and via Picasa...it doesn't seem to retain the GPS data either way...

I can View on Map on my BB, so I'm not sure why it's not working...

Suggestions?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
F5fstop

I've noticed that if I pull the phone out and take a photo there is no geotag; however, if I pull the phone out, and wait a few, then that photo will be geotagged.
It takes a while for the satellites to lock in, it is not instantaneous.

I have quite a bit of experience with geotagging photos via my Nikon cameras and an add on receiver. Depending on when the last time the GPS was turned on it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes for the sats to be recognized.

When the GPS is first turned on, it relies on almanac information from a sat to locate the satellites. However, it needs to update ephemeris data from each satellite. (Almanac information from one sat gives the rough location of all the other satellites. Ephemeris information is detail info from each satellite.)

I do not believe the sats are constantly being tracked by the phone. This shows if you turn on BB maps of google earth maps or gps logger. It takes a few for the program to locate and lock on the sats. So, you cannot just pull the phone out and shoot and get gps data, you have to wait.

Possibly if you are already running one of the map programs, then took a picture it might be immediate since the map program has already locked the phone onto sats.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
dsartain

I know the image is being tagged, the problem is that whenever I take the image off the phone, the tags seem to disappear. Whether I MMS, Email, or copy straight to PC...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
F5fstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsartain View Post
I know the image is being tagged, the problem is that whenever I take the image off the phone, the tags seem to disappear. Whether I MMS, Email, or copy straight to PC...
Something is screwed up then. I have always had my GPS tag with the EXIF file when it is transferred to the computer, or to a website.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
dsartain

I figured it out. I was copying the file via windows explorer, not the blackberry media manager (because it's too freakin slow).

When I upload to my PC with the BB Media Manager, and then import to Picasa, it retains the GPS coordinates. I then have to export as a Google Earth file (which I find idiotic) to see the image on the map. I do see a smaller map in Picasa, it's not topical, but oh well.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
F5fstop

Via Explorer is the only way I bring the file into the PC. That media software from Roxio is one step above dog poop.
I use Photoshop to do sizing on the photo, but for those using PS, do not Save as Web File, save as a normal file. Saving a photo as an Web file will strip the GPS and about everything else from the EXIF file.