Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Nokia's BlackBerry Competitor Shipping

Please Login to Remove!

saw it on another site, looks nice cant complain, even though i love my blackberry to death.

Features a 2megapixel camera which to me seems more of a Treo competitor but time will tell.

Here are the pictures which most have probably seen.

http://www.betanews.com/slideshow/Nokia_E61/115
Old 05-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

ehhh it looks a little primative for me... the grey doesn't do much for it!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

Looks a bit behind the times for where RIM is going. Love my 7130e. Got tired of wearing a laptop on my hip
Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

I have been waiting for this.. I would love to get one but the only problems we are facing now with these new BB's Q's and N6x series fones that they are so cheap in design and that give a better chance to break it with slightest ding.
I hope they work on this..
Also the deductible on a phone insurance plan is 150 $$$ what is up this this insu indusry
Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Played with it a bit at CES this year nice phone kinda wide but can do so much and also there is no camera on the E61 that would be a typo. Supports BB Connect, Visto, Goodlink, etc so gives a lot of options for the end user plus there will be a american version with HSDPA.

pink
Old 05-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I've used a lot of different PDA's, smart phones, and BlackBerry's....and the one thing that I personally don't like about the new Nokia is how thin it is.

My handheld of choice is a 7290 from RIM. Keys are nicely spaced, space bar is nice and big (like a normal keyboard) and the device itself isn't so thin that I'm trying to type on a piece of paper...my fingers curve more naturally around it.

My next beef with this Nokia is the location of the * 0 and # keys. The 7290 has the * and # wrong, but i use them so infrequently, i barely notice...but I DO use the 0 key to dial phone numbers. All the other PDA's have the 0 below the other numbers (like where it is on a normal phone) except this one.. Learning curves suck

Now, that said, as long as the Symbian OS on this keeps one thing from previous versions, I would like to see it keep the speed of previous versions. It may be 8 menus deep to find what you want (hope they change that) but going between menu's on a Nokia has always been quick.

And the other thing I'd like to see that Nokia kept is the durability (admittedly, havn't used a Nokia phone in a while). The regular Nokia phones used to be (maybe still are) one of the most durable things I've ever run into. As much as I don't like Nokia phones, if your area of work requires something that can take a beating, I'd always recommend a Nokia.

Zro
Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

After having amny different phone from all makers, I have to say that my Nokia's are some of the best devices I've ever owned. Durable, stable, powerful, and tones of features. The E61 is a little conservative on the design end of things but Nokia is always known for putting a lot of thought into a design. It may not be for me but certainly the restraint in their design is commendable; I'm not a huge fan of the 8700g... the bezel around the screen, from a design point of view, isn't something my design mind likes.

Series 60 is really nice too. I've always been a fan. And with push email, I think it could be quite the device. Especially when you hear from people who'd like more multimedia functions, S60 is like a mini Mac... everything you need is built in for video, photos, audio, etc. I like to see Nokia expanding their horizons even more than they do now. The E61 is definitelly a cool device.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
brace! brace!
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

I'm not exactly inspired by the E61. I've not seen one in person but the key layout does not look to be a simple and easy to use as the BlackBerry and the folders and things on the desktop inspire confusion. I'm not a fan of the E70 style either with the keys on either side of the screen; looks more like a game console and they keys are bunched up way to close together.

One thing I am keen to see about these new phones from Nokia is the screen quality. The 8700's screen is brilliant but Nokia's (and often Sony's as well) are often not the best screens. That's one thing I'd like to compare when the models start appearing here.

Of course, we're yet to really know what their push email system will be like...
Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Exactly. Comments on the hardware are great but the email functionality and other wireless functions are what will really make or break the E61.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
HIH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Default Nice but not as good as MOT Q --- check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_187
saw it on another site, looks nice cant complain, even though i love my blackberry to death.

Features a 2megapixel camera which to me seems more of a Treo competitor but time will tell.

Here are the pictures which most have probably seen.

http://www.betanews.com/slideshow/Nokia_E61/115

Here is a demo video of the Mot Q -- man, it rocks!
Closed Thread