Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Default push vs pull email?

Please Login to Remove!

i went to verizon store the other days. a rep explain to me the difference about push and pull technology. he said my blackberry is push technology, that email automatically received on my bb device. and pull technology is use on one of the pda/phone that has windows mobile 5.0 os. he said that the user has to turn on his windows mobile 5.0 device all the time to see if there is any new email where as your blackberry device will notify you w/o having it to turn it on.

is that true?

Last edited by vincentnyc; 05-24-2006 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
f!ver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280
Carrier: Cingular

yep
Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

so i guess push is better?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

my neighbor who works for verizon said the same thing. he said you need to log on to check mail. oddly enough, he is getting the Q and getting rid of the blackberry. i tried talking him out of it but there is no reasoning with a desperate man.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
i went to verizon store the other days. a rep explain to me the difference about push and pull technology. he said my blackberry is push technology, that email automatically to my bb device. and pull technology is use on one of the pda/phone that has windows mobile 5.0 os. he said that the user has to turn on his windows mobile 5.0 device all the time to see if there is any new email where as your blackberry device will notify you w/o having it to turn it on.

is that true?
Yes, for the most part. Your BB has push e-mail built in. It is also capable of pulling e-mail via BIS. So, with the BB you get both methods at the same time.

With other devices, however, it isn't so cut and dry. Microsoft will tell you their devices are push-capable. But they aren't -- yet. They will be sooner rather than later (so they say). In theory (although it doesn't work very well), you can set your ActiveSync to check your e-mail at a time interval you specify. But, it's very buggy and it doesn't work all that well. There are 3d party apps that do a better job, so you can make a Windows Mobile device almost behave like it has push capabilities.

Then there's GoodLink. And all the BB fans on this forum just gasped. GoodLink provides push technology to non-BB devices, like Treos. But, it's pricey (more expensive than a hosted BES) and is proprietary. You can't use any of the fine 3d party calendaring and e-mail apps available for these devices. You have to use Good's software.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
f!ver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280
Carrier: Cingular

Well the moto Q is a sexy little beast..I saw it at CES.

My buddy has one..and he can view the security cameras at his home from anywhere..and be able to move the cameras all through the web based controll...I dont know if the BB can do it...but the moto Q can..or so the reps said it could.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

well you have windows mobile 5 vs blackberry os. in my opinion all windows os freeze or crash if you abuse it like installing too many stuff or leaving alot of apps open. i haven't heard about bb os though. but on the other hand, basically what you can do on your pc/laptop, you can do on windows mobile os. you can play movies, mpg3, im w/o a third party software etc. i dont know if bb os can do all of those.

and when you say "he need to log on" to check his email. you mean by entering his username and password again? i think the windows mobile os has a feature to save your username and password so everytime you turn on the device it will automatically log him in? am i correct?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

BES is true push

BIM is pull and push (pull from the email address, push to the device)

MS Exchange is poke and pull (poke a hole in the firewall and pull the email down)

Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
and when you say "he need to log on" to check his email. you mean by entering his username and password again? i think the windows mobile os has a feature to save your username and password so everytime you turn on the device it will automatically log him in? am i correct?
Yes, it does save the username and password. But, the device is not "always on" in the sense that it does not maintain a constant connection to the internet. At least here in Charleston it doesn't; it has to "dial up" to connect so it can download your e-mail. And when you want to surf the web, it has to dial up. That may be different in an EVDO area. Maybe in an EVDO area it maintains a connection. I'm not in an EVDO area, so I don't know. Someone else will be able to answer that. But the fact that it isn't an "always on" connection is a very bad thing.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsaa
my neighbor who works for verizon said the same thing. he said you need to log on to check mail. oddly enough, he is getting the Q and getting rid of the blackberry. i tried talking him out of it but there is no reasoning with a desperate man.
I too had urges to go the Q route, but the more you read about it and the 700w/p, the more you appreciate the Blackberry. Sure they have tons of bells & whistles but not the simplicity and stability of the Blackberry....

I think your neighbor will come back to the Blackberry after going to the dark side.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

it all depends. if his neighbor is more concern about email, he will return to bb or may not. but if his neighbors is more concern doing other things like playing movies, mp3 etc. then i think he will stick with windows mobile 5 devices.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
it all depends. if his neighbor is more concern about email, he will return to bb or may not. but if his neighbors is more concern doing other things like playing movies, mp3 etc. then i think he will stick with windows mobile 5 devices.
I agree. Its all about personal preferences.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Then there's GoodLink. And all the BB fans on this forum just gasped. GoodLink provides push technology to non-BB devices, like Treos. But, it's pricey (more expensive than a hosted BES) and is proprietary. You can't use any of the fine 3d party calendaring and e-mail apps available for these devices. You have to use Good's software.

Hope this helps.
Clarification regarding pricing and your other points. GoodLink is not more expensive than BB..talking software here, not devices. Comparing a hosted solution of BES to a server based GoodLink installation is apples to oranges. Hosted BES vs hosted GoodLink or installed BES vs installed GoodLink would be a better comparison.

As for 3rd party calendaring and email apps, you most certainly can run other apps with GoodLink, though I don't see a need for a 3rd party email application if you are running GoodLink. What third-party email apps can you run with BB? Not being a smartass, just don't know of any that are out there.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Clarification regarding pricing and your other points. GoodLink is not more expensive than BB..talking software here, not devices. Comparing a hosted solution of BES to a server based GoodLink installation is apples to oranges. Hosted BES vs hosted GoodLink or installed BES vs installed GoodLink would be a better comparison.

As for 3rd party calendaring and email apps, you most certainly can run other apps with GoodLink, though I don't see a need for a 3rd party email application if you are running GoodLink. What third-party email apps can you run with BB? Not being a smartass, just don't know of any that are out there.
I was comparing hosted BES and hosted GoodLink. Hosted GoodLink is twice as expensive for all providers I've come across. MailStreet, for example: $9.95/month for the base account; $9.95 for BES compared to $19.95 for GoodLink. ExchangeMyMail is the same pricing schedule. So, GoodLink is more expensive than BES in a hosted environment.

I tried a Treo 700w for a week, with GoodLink. Paid the $39.95 setup fee and everything. I was not able to use any 3d party apps (the one I use on PocketPC is Pocket Informant) and have it sync to the Exchange account. If I wanted the calendar to be synchronized, I had to use Good's proprietary software. If I wanted the push e-mail aspect of GoodLink I had to use GoodLink's software. No way to use another e-mail app (including the built-in app) and take advantage of GoodLink's push capabilities.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
I was comparing hosted BES and hosted GoodLink. Hosted GoodLink is twice as expensive for all providers I've come across. MailStreet, for example: $9.95/month for the base account; $9.95 for BES compared to $19.95 for GoodLink. ExchangeMyMail is the same pricing schedule. So, GoodLink is more expensive than BES in a hosted environment.

I tried a Treo 700w for a week, with GoodLink. Paid the $39.95 setup fee and everything. I was not able to use any 3d party apps (the one I use on PocketPC is Pocket Informant) and have it sync to the Exchange account. If I wanted the calendar to be synchronized, I had to use Good's proprietary software. If I wanted the push e-mail aspect of GoodLink I had to use GoodLink's software. No way to use another e-mail app (including the built-in app) and take advantage of GoodLink's push capabilities.
Ahh, my fault. I misunderstood your coomparison. There are hosted GL providers (themessagecenter.com) that charge $9.95 for the mail box and $9.95 for GoodLink. Pays to shop around

As for using other apps, I don't understand why you would need to sync a mailbox on another application when it is already being synced with GoodLink. You are right, to use GoodLink's push capability, you have to use the GoodLink software. If you are looking for another interface to support push, then you simply don't use GoodLink. PocketInformant is simply another interface, like GoodLink, to sync information. If you want to use PocketInformant's interface, then you have to sync with PocketInformant.

Maybe I am missing something.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
As for using other apps, I don't understand why you would need to sync a mailbox on another application when it is already being synced with GoodLink. You are right, to use GoodLink's push capability, you have to use the GoodLink software. If you are looking for another interface to support push, then you simply don't use GoodLink. PocketInformant is simply another interface, like GoodLink, to sync information. If you want to use PocketInformant's interface, then you have to sync with PocketInformant.

Maybe I am missing something.
GoodLink apparently does not use the device's database for calendaring. PocketInformant does. So, if I want a synchronized calendaring solution, I must use GoodLink's software, which is (all respect intended) so woefully inadequate it's a painful waste of time. Not less adequate than the BB's calendar, mind you, but that, too, is woefully inadequate. No categories, no filtering to speak of, etc. GoodLink's calendaring solution is of no value right now. Unless there has been a major increase in functionality introduced in the last three months.

Now, maybe there is a work around to have ActiveSync synchronize data entered in Pocket Informant to the Excahnge account which would then push the changes to GoodLink. And maybe that would work vice versa. But, that doesn't provide anything helpful over the timed ActiveSync capabilities already available without GoodLink.

And for the record, the e-mail functionality in GoodLink did work acceptibly (is that a word or did I just make it up?) well. But given my provider's price for GoodLink, e-mail only functionality did not warrant the proce point.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 05-24-2006 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Good_Guy

Gotchya. Fair enough regarding the calendaring. As for the price, no argument there based on your providers price.
Closed Thread