BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
GrandMstrBud
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier
Default BES 5.0 Remote File Explorer and Other Features?

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded our BES from 4.1.6 to 5.0 and I am wondering where the options are to turn on the remote file explorer and some of the other new features that are supposed to be included.

End-User Productivity
BlackBerry Enterprise Server v5.0 offers more control of desktop features on BlackBerry smartphones, helping to bridge the gap between employees and the business tools they rely on while away from the office.

Organize email messages that require follow-up with the use of flags, as they do in Microsoft® Outlook®1
Easily access network drives using the remote file explorer directly from their BlackBerry smartphones*
Open and forward calendar appointments, including attachments1
Browse folders on the BlackBerry smartphone to view and attach files to email messages*
Use Calendar Meeting Delegation for IBM® Lotus® Domino®, which allows attendees to delegate invitations to another person1
Simplify mailbox folder management by adding, renaming, deleting, and moving folders as necessary*
Easily manage personal and public distribution lists1
Listen to WMA files while on the go with extended support for audio file types

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
I upgraded our BES from 4.1.6 to 5.0 and I am wondering where the options are to turn on the remote file explorer and some of the other new features that are supposed to be included.

End-User Productivity
BlackBerry Enterprise Server v5.0 offers more control of desktop features on BlackBerry smartphones, helping to bridge the gap between employees and the business tools they rely on while away from the office.

Organize email messages that require follow-up with the use of flags, as they do in Microsoft® Outlook®1
Easily access network drives using the remote file explorer directly from their BlackBerry smartphones*
Open and forward calendar appointments, including attachments1
Browse folders on the BlackBerry smartphone to view and attach files to email messages*
Use Calendar Meeting Delegation for IBM® Lotus® Domino®, which allows attendees to delegate invitations to another person1
Simplify mailbox folder management by adding, renaming, deleting, and moving folders as necessary*
Easily manage personal and public distribution lists1
Listen to WMA files while on the go with extended support for audio file types

Thanks
Many of the new BES 5 features require handheld OS 5 on the device... which you'll need to wait for since it hasn't been released by any carrier yet.

If you can't find a new feature, then it's probably one that requires handheld OS 5.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
GrandMstrBud

Thanks, I found some documentation on that. I wonder if anyone has done any testing with the beta versions that have been floating around?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I have. They worked as advertised. Really, all of the new features are fairly self-explanatory and after you mess with them a time or two, you think 'eh, okay'. The calendar forwarding is perhaps the most useful of all.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
GrandMstrBud

So another question, it states that the new BES has Listen to WMA files while on the go with extended support for audio file types. I thought we could always listen to all WMA files? Is there a way to test this out? I've been asked if I can verify that it works but as far as I know it's always worked.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

you want to test if you can listen to WMA files with what configuration?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
GrandMstrBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
you want to test if you can listen to WMA files with what configuration?
Well basically test that new feature. I never listened to WMA files so I have no idea if it's worked in the past or not.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

... send yourself a wma attachment; or download a wma file.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
So another question, it states that the new BES has Listen to WMA files while on the go with extended support for audio file types. I thought we could always listen to all WMA files? Is there a way to test this out? I've been asked if I can verify that it works but as far as I know it's always worked.
I think you're missing a point about WMA attachment support. Sure, you could download a WMA file from the internet and listen to it. You could have an email sent to you with a WMA attachment and you could download the attachment and listen to it. However, the BES can now process the attachment through the distiller and allow you to open it directly from a message (as opposed to having to download a raw file). This would have been bigger news (not that anyone uses WMA, imo) pre-BES 4.1.6 and OS 4.5 when the raw attachment download functionality was implemented. It was a big thing when they added in MP3 support a couple years ago.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

regarding the remote file explorer:
with the 5.0.0.130 Version of the OS I can now open xls, pdf, jpeg doc files from the device. copying a file from the BB to the remote folder still fails (checked out again my MacOSX pc using samba).
not all pdfs open.
But, overall a really helpful addition - easier to use then the workaround I used before (turning on the web-server on the machine in the office and the using the browser on the BB to access the computer).
Closed Thread