Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Default Motorola Droid

Please Login to Remove!

Went nutz today while I was in the Verizon store... Picked me up the Motorola Droid after laying with it for an hour or so.... I have to say it's pretty sweet!!! Still have my BB's but this puppy might be my new main decive...

Me like!!!

Kris
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Nice looking but it does have its drawbacks. For me, the one show stopper that I know of is no sync to Outlook for contacts and calendar info. I know that I can use Google and I do for calendar, but I really need the Outlook integration.

Planning to do a review of it? Please keep us updated on how you use it, how you like it and the pluses and minuses.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

since you laid with the phone u might as well as marry it.....he he

honestly, verizon's pricing plans aren't that great, to get somewhere near the same plan i have with tmob, i'd have to fork over $ 150/mo.....with tmob i'm paid and done with about $ 85/mo and get unlimited minutes and the BIS add-on....

droid is nice, but the droid eris is probably better...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Picked me up the Motorola Droid after laying with it for an hour or so....
So the management didn't mind that you were sprawled out with the phone in the middle of the store? Was the phone good to you?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post

droid is nice, but the droid eris is probably better...
My son got the Eris.. He loves it, but I wanted the option of full real keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
So the management didn't mind that you were sprawled out with the phone in the middle of the store? Was the phone good to you?
LOL.... I forgot to add the "p" but I do like it enough to lay with it as well...

I will have to play with it for a few days and report back on it -vs- BB
Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Nice looking but it does have its drawbacks. For me, the one show stopper that I know of is no sync to Outlook for contacts and calendar info. I know that I can use Google and I do for calendar, but I really need the Outlook integration.

Planning to do a review of it? Please keep us updated on how you use it, how you like it and the pluses and minuses.
I am on Linux and don't really care to sync with calendar and Outlook... I could sync with my Vista PC but I pretty much just keep everything on the device...

I can see where that would be a killer for some though...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

The Motorola Droid is an excellent phone. This is the first phone in a VERY long time that has grabbed my interested enough to make me want to purchase one and try it out for a few months. I have to wait for our next upgrade to come up, but we shall see if this is the phone that could pull me away from the BBs for a bit. Change will be hard since I've been a BB user for YEARS like many of us here. It really is a nice design.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I have ventured away from BB several times only to make a quick return to them... Usually by day 2 I am ready to go back....

Not the case with this so far... I am amazed at what it can do... Have not missed my BB one bit but I will wait a week or so before writing an in depth review of it...

So far...

The GUI is amazing! Love the widgets and how everything can be customized... And I mean everything!

The app store is amazing... You want it, they have it and most are free...

Love the browser... WOW!

Real html email.... I had BIS before so I polled about every 15 mnutes... I have the driod set to poll every 5 minutes...

The screen is amazing! Watched free TV on it and some HD videos....

That's about it for now... Will have to play with it more and learn more about it... So far it's day 2 and I don't miss my BB one bit.... But we shall see....

Kris
Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Look for Android to take over the smart phone market in the next year or two.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

As an added plus it runs over top of a Linux kernel... Can't get any better than that if you want/need root access....

Kris
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
As an added plus it runs over top of a Linux kernel... Can't get any better than that if you want/need root access....

Kris
atleast 1 more up to linux. android and maemo 5 both use a linux kernel
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

The Droid is a pretty sweet looking device, but i've never been a huge fan of motorola (i had the razor and i wanted to throw it out the window), but you seem to be happy with it! ;) i bet it had something to do with the fact that it got you laid ;). hehehe.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If I could just get my contacts over without putting them in Gmail, I would give it a go. I saw HTC has a sync program out for their Android devices - HTCSync. Not sure how good or how well it works though. Maybe Moto/VZW/Google will come up with something to hit Outlook. When and if that happens, they could have a real device on their hands.

But then again, maybe they don't want that connection?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Day 4 with this bad boy and I am not missing the BB one bit..

Quick review for now..

OS --> Very stable as I have not had to reboot it once and I have a ton of apps running in background that are constantly updating. (email, weather, sports ticker ect..) This thing is fast and I mean fast! It scoots right along with no hesitation whatsoever..

Screen --> Wow! Enough said but this screen blows anything away on a phone I have ever seen...

GUI --> Very very nice! I have 3 main screens to use and navigate between them with a finger swipe. My main screen has the normal icons for email, calendar, contacts, messaging ect.. I swipe to the left and I have my widgets for weather, sports calendar ect.. I swipe to the right and I have my contacts listed that I interact with the most and shortcuts to websites that I visit the most..

QWERTY Keyboard --> Still trying to get use to it... It's flat and I am making many typos on it... The BB keyboard blows this away

Multimedia --> Don't use the camera, GPS or Wifi so I can't really comment on them. Never have music on any of my devices so I can't comment on that. The video player is awesome though.

Email --> Very, very nice! Real html email that looks just like it does on your pc desktop... I have 2 pop3 accounts that are set to poll every 5 minutes and my gmail is instant.

Browser --> Wow.. Best browser experience I have ever had on a device. This is fast and renders the page as seen on your PC browser. Love it!!!!!!!

Applications --> There has got to be 4.3 gazillion apps for this thing in the store... Most are free..

Phone --> Clear on my end and on the others. Some have commented they thought I was on a landline.

I love the Google search at the top of my main (center screen) I tap the speech button and say what I am looking for. It thinks for a second and opens the browser to a google search page with the results. It has been very accurate for me thus far.

The battery life has been awesome so far.. I do not run wifi, gps or bluetooth and that could be the reason....

A few things I do not like... The screen goes to sleep after a user set amount of time (that's great) but to wake the screen you have to push the button on the top of the device then swipe to unlock... And as mentioned above the keyboard.... It feels awkward and cramped to me... Maybe I just need more time to adjust to it...

Thats my quick review for now... Ask any questions you have and I will say that this device may very well be the BB killer for me..

Kris
Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Great review. I understand the keyboard had to be flat so everything would fit. As a power user that would be my concern. Thanks for the update

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I could see that as an issue.... There is no way I would want to type out a lengthy email on the droid... Maybe it's just because I am not use to the keyboard yet, but I don't think so...

I guess my real test will come as a new BB is released... I will not doubt have to get it, and that's where the real test will come into play... Will I miss my droid after playing with a new BB for a few days....

Kris
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

dang Kris we lost you to the droid.. :(
Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I am still gonna be here to harass everyone and still love BB's....
Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
The Droid is a pretty sweet looking device, but i've never been a huge fan of motorola (i had the razor and i wanted to throw it out the window), but you seem to be happy with it! ;) i bet it had something to do with the fact that it got you laid ;). hehehe.
I have never been a big fan of Motorola either... But they hit the mark with this bad boy....

Yes I was glad to finally get laid... LOL...

Since I do not have BBM anymore if anyone wants to add me via gtalk I am raqball

Kris
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

too long has the BBOS been the same. so maybe droid is prompting migrations ?

i'm as bored as a dead fly with BB's in general, i started out with the pearl 3 years go, moved to the Curve, then the Storm. they were all essentially the same experience.

i will wait a bit and see if Tmob comes up with a new android device, maybe i'll get on it....

Last edited by zero7404; 11-19-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Closed Thread