Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Stan_TheGunNut

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default New 8830 and ?'s

Please Login to Remove!

I just picked up my first Blackberry, an 8830 World Edition with Sprint as the provider. I am completely new to Blackberry. I'm trying to set stuff up, and was wondering if there was a software program available to use on my computer to set up emails (hotmail, yahoo....), contacts, etc, so I don't have to resort to typing everything in on a tiny keyboard.

Also, there seems to be a lot of good information on this board, much of it relatively technical. Is there a list of acronyms anywhere such as what BES vs BIS is?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

you can set up your email accounts through your carrier's BIS account. Set the account up at BlackBerry Internet Service

For a better understanding of the acronyms, check here:
BlackBerry Glossary - BlackBerryFAQ

Welcome to the forums
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_TheGunNut View Post
I just picked up my first Blackberry, an 8830 World Edition with Sprint as the provider. I am completely new to Blackberry. I'm trying to set stuff up, and was wondering if there was a software program available to use on my computer to set up emails (hotmail, yahoo....), contacts, etc, so I don't have to resort to typing everything in on a tiny keyboard.

Also, there seems to be a lot of good information on this board, much of it relatively technical. Is there a list of acronyms anywhere such as what BES vs BIS is?

Thanks.
For entering contacts you can use Outlook, and sync to the BB.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

To the syncing with outlook, you have to install the what is referred to as the "Desktop Manager" on your PC. Check out the RIM Software section or FAQ for more guidance.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

To the syncing with outlook, you have to install the what is referred to as the "Desktop Manager" on your PC. Check out the RIM Software section or FAQ for more guidance.
You can find the Desktop Manager software here : https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...XZtpMHYtpu3Q**

I would download version 4.2 service pack 2
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Stan_TheGunNut

Thanks, I'll just use outlook to add contacts. I had considered that, but was wondering if something else might be better. And thanks for posting the link to the acronyms.

As for the BIS site operated by Sprint, I keep getting the message: An error ocurred during emial account validation. Please check your information and try again. If the problem persists, contact your email account provider.

I get this message when trying to add an email from the blackberry or through the sprint site. I'm trying to add a hotmail account. I have no idea what the problem is. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Stan_TheGunNut; 04-03-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Got yahoo to add, but can't get hotmail to work
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
jsconyers

Is this device new or did you get it from a previous user, i.e eBay??
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Swede
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

By the way Stan- Welcome!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
so I don't have to resort to typing everything in on a tiny keyboard.
Just out of curiosity, why get a blackberry then if you're going to avoid typing on the bb keyboard?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Stan_TheGunNut

Bought it new. I tried again tonight after work to get it add the hotmail email, but still no joy. I'll blame Microsoft for all my problems.

As for the question about why I got a Blackberry if I don't want to use the tiny keyboard....I got the Blackberry for several reasons including work (it's got no camera, is supported by our IT guys with respect to email, pager service, etc) and my own personal convenience. I can use the BB keyboard, but prefer a full size one, including a number pad. I also prefer the power, screen size, and available options of a full size computer, but I dont' want to lug one around all day.

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome and help.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
kyl1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

I know when I first got my 8830 with Verizon, first I had to add (my user name in to the BIS site for Verizon)@vzn.blackberry.net! I guess it's the way for your BIS provider to "push" your emails. You may want to try to add Sprints version first. I hope this helps your situation. Good luck and welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Bought it new. I tried again tonight after work to get it add the hotmail email, but still no joy. I'll blame Microsoft for all my problems.

As for the question about why I got a Blackberry if I don't want to use the tiny keyboard....I got the Blackberry for several reasons including work (it's got no camera, is supported by our IT guys with respect to email, pager service, etc) and my own personal convenience. I can use the BB keyboard, but prefer a full size one, including a number pad. I also prefer the power, screen size, and available options of a full size computer, but I dont' want to lug one around all day.

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome and help.
I seem to remember that newer hotmail accounts don't play nice with BIS -- can someone with more knowledge address this for Stan? If this account is only a year or two old it may not work properly.

In addition to the keyboard of your computer, you may want to take a look at the Freedom Universal Keyboard. It is reviewed in the review section of this forum. While I don't think it substitutes for a true computer keyboard, I have had more than a few business trips where I needed to keep the email flow moving along -- and some of my emails are detailed and lengthy -- and I was able to accomplish this by having just the BB and this keyboard. It might be an option for your to consider. [And no, I have no affiliation with the company that sells this keyboard except as a pleased customer.]

Last edited by djm2; 04-04-2008 at 01:45 PM..
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
Stan_TheGunNut

Thanks for all the help, links, and other suggestions. I did try and set up the blackberrry email account, but still no luck on the hotmail one. This is kinda disappointing since that's the one where all my family and personal emails go. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

ETA: I found this on the Tmobile site:
NOTE: MSN® Hotmail is not accessible via BlackBerry Internet E-mail.

Last edited by Stan_TheGunNut; 04-04-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
jsconyers

If you have a free account it will not work. You will need a premium account for hotmail to work.

Older Hotmail accounts have been grandfathered, and people have had success adding them to their devices.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Dimos

Model: 9630

To get Hotmail on your Outlook, or BB you need to pay for it to MSN period.....
Or.. here is a trick to get it . Go to Windows live were you che your emails on the Web and click options on the right top corner, In options Menu USE Forward email to another email account and after that you will check all your emails from @hotmail.com on your BB arrived through different account. Remember, MSN Delete emails after forwarding.
I hope it will help.