Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
rudiegirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 7105 Issues

Please Login to Remove!

I just got a new 7105 and I am trying to figure out how to do some simple messaging that I used to do on my old, non-data phone.

1. Text messaging - an employee at T-mobile informed me that if I want to send an SMS message to more than one person in my contacts, I CANNOT select the people. I can either save the message and fwd it individually to each person, or I can create a group and send it to the group.

As of yet, I cannot figure out how to create a group. I checked my "Welcome Guide" and it says nothing about creating groups. The Device Help on my Blackberry says this:

Create a Mailing List
1. In the address book, click the trackwheel.
2. Click New Group.
3. Type a name for the mailing list.
4. Click the trackwheel.
5. Click Add Member.
6. Click a contact.
7. Click Continue.
8. Click the trackwheel.
9. Click Save Group.

After I complete steps 1-6, I cannot complete step 7. When I press the clickwheel, it does not give me the option to "Continue". It gives me the regular Address Book options, "View", "Edit", etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

your best solution is a handset upgrade to OS 4.1 (HK CSL). this upgrade adds the ability you desire. see here.

your other options are going to be much more cumbersome. of course, a group contact as was suggested, although i personally cannot help you with that (as i never got around to trying before 4.1 released).

alternately, each MIN has a respective email address which you can add to your Address Book entries. then you can simply email the SMS message and add additional recipients as you would an email message. (see this thread and this thread at HoFo for specific carrier info.)
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
rudiegirl

Thanks for your help! I'll upgrade to 4.1 right away.

So just to confirm:

1. Sending SMS to multiple recipients without creating a "group" will be possible with 4.1.

2. You can also email to multiple recipients and have them receive it as an SMS if you email it to their number@their carrier.

Regarding number 2, that's nice to know, and it will save me some dough on sending SMS messages from my blackberry. However, short of calling my friends and asking them what carrier they are on (I have over 200 phone numbers in my address book), is there an online tool I can use to figure it out? That way I can start adding the email addresses to my address book.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

rudiegirl, yes 4.1 will allow sms to multiples as well as email. you can also set personalized ring tones for your contacts. lots of great upgrades. let us know if you need help with this.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
scorpiusss

Penk,

I have a 7105T from TMo. Can I upgrade to 4.1? I looked at the Download page, and 4.1 did not have 7100 series listed.

Thank you for your help, the newbie appreciates it! =)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
penk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusss
I have a 7105T from TMo. Can I upgrade to 4.1?
of course! the Hong Kong CSL 4.1 is what you need for your upgrade. when you click through to the download page, be aware the file isn't labeled very well - it is listed only as "7100g".

just be sure to do a complete backup up of your handset before you begin, and while that's happening, read over the instructional upgrade posts to get a feel forwhat you're about to do.

it's pretty straightforward, but it can throw you if you let it. just be ready for the long post-upgrade boot, and don't worry - you really can't destroy your phone, and we can help you set it right should something go wrong.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

The HK CSL code will work fine for the 7105T. I just upgraded mine and it is working fine.

Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
rudiegirl

Thanks, I'll get on that right away. Meanwhile, I have a couple more problems I was wondering if anyone had experienced.

1. AIM will not sign on
2. Myspace does not work. (Homepage loads, but none of the links will load (messages, comments, blogs, nothing)

I called Tmobile tech support about the AIM thing and they couldn't help me. They had me delete and reinstall drivers and install (their) latest version of the OS but it still didn't work. It takes forever to sign on. At 80% it says "Receiving Buddies..." and then it says "Communication error. Please try again or check your settings."

My Instant Messaging says it is Version 4.1.7.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
rudiegirl

I'm also confused about picture messages. Can they only be viewed from a PC? (I have T-Mobile.)
Old 04-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
scorpiusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk
of course! the Hong Kong CSL 4.1 is what you need for your upgrade. when you click through to the download page, be aware the file isn't labeled very well - it is listed only as "7100g".

just be sure to do a complete backup up of your handset before you begin, and while that's happening, read over the instructional upgrade posts to get a feel forwhat you're about to do.

it's pretty straightforward, but it can throw you if you let it. just be ready for the long post-upgrade boot, and don't worry - you really can't destroy your phone, and we can help you set it right should something go wrong.
Penk:

Thank you very much for your reply, and for your help. I will downloaded 4.1 now, and follow the instructions. Will let you know how my first FW goes (i jsut switched from a T650).

Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiegirl
Thanks, I'll get on that right away. Meanwhile, I have a couple more problems I was wondering if anyone had experienced.

1. AIM will not sign on
2. Myspace does not work. (Homepage loads, but none of the links will load (messages, comments, blogs, nothing)

I called Tmobile tech support about the AIM thing and they couldn't help me. They had me delete and reinstall drivers and install (their) latest version of the OS but it still didn't work. It takes forever to sign on. At 80% it says "Receiving Buddies..." and then it says "Communication error. Please try again or check your settings."

My Instant Messaging says it is Version 4.1.7.
AIM will not sign on: If you're talking about the built in client, I wouldn't advise using that if you are a heavy IMer. each IM counts as a text message with the built in IM client (OZ). Do a search here for a program like Ramble IM, it's free...and it won't use your text messages.

As to the original problem, try configuring your APN settings (under options/settings----Advanced-----TCP.

then enter: wap.voicestream.com for the APN. leave the username and password blank, make sure you save the settings. then go back and give it a shot

Myspace: I believe they reconfigured the way the site sends cookies, and it's difficult for a mobile device to navigate
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
rudiegirl

Thanks for the help. I read about Ramble IM elsewhere on the forum, but I had no idea that T-mobile would charge AIM per message like a text message. That's outrageous. IM'ing itself doesn't give you the impression that you are going to be charged per msg, that's nuts. After you posted that I texted my bf right away because he is a T-mobile dealer and he needs to know that so he can warn customers so they don't come back irate with $300 cell phone bills.

Anyways, I tried the TCP setting change, but I am still getting the error: "Communication error. Please try again or check your settings." It's a major bummer. But for now I'll give up until I can dl Ramble IM.

Ironically, I was planning to get IM to work so that I can IM my bf on his sidekick instead of using up SMS msgs of which I have a limited amount on my plan. Had I got the client to work, I wouldn't be saving anything if I was using text msgs to IM. Those sneaky bastards!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
scorpiusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk

Ok, I feel like an id10t now. I downloaded HK CSL 4.1, ran the exe file, restarted my computer, but no upgrade is happening. Ran the desktop manager - applicaiton loader in hopes that something would pop up... but still nothing. My handheld info page still reads: v4.0.2.69 ...

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

And sorry for the question if this is a silly one, I'm really new at BBs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
rudiegirl

It's ok scorpiusss, I'm new at BB's too.

OK here's my update. I installed Ramble IM, over the air, no problem. Then when I went to sign on, I got this error: "Invalid Connection String: could not open tunnel - failed"

Apparently whatever my hang up was with the OZ version is still hanging me up with Ramble. Drat.

I know it's gotta be some wierd setting that's disallowing me from signing on- and it's probably something in my device. This is really irritating though. Does anyone have a guess?

Thanks,
Malia
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Go to tools -> Ramble IM -> scroll down to the network connection section, nake sure that a) Network Connection is set to Device Default, TOC HOST AND PORT is set to TOC.OSCAR.AOL.COM:8080

That should do it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #16
rudiegirl

Thank you.

I checked that already and it is correct, exactly as you said. I am still unable to logon. :(
Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 PM   #17
penk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusss
My handheld info page still reads: v4.0.2.69 ...

What am I doing wrong? Please help!
i believe this situation suggests the infamous vendor.xml file is still present. search your local hard drive for the file, then send that to the rubbish bin. once you delete this, open BBDesktop Manager, then connect your handset and the system should see the newer OS available.

alternately, you can use the Javaloader to erase your device, which in my experience works best. there's no chance for the Desktop or the handset to be confused by one another. see this thread or this thread for details.

this thread chronicles the results of HKCSL early adopters. it can give you another taste of what to expect.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
scorpiusss

Penk, thank you for your suggestion. I will try that first thing in the morning, and will let you guys know of an update. In my opinion, it's too late right now, and I am a but too intoxicated to yet out techy projects. I am surprised I can still type as a matter of fact. Thank god for suretype. good night everyone, and have good berrying dreams.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #19
scorpiusss

Ok, so, this morning, being sober and very encouraged by the beutiful day outside, as well as the fact that the weekend is so close, I connected my BB, and choose the "vendor.xml" alternative. I thought it would be easier to erase one file, then to do a wipe et al.

U were right, as soon as I deleted vendor.xml, and started the desktop manager, the new OS was found. It's updating right now, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work.

I'll keep y'all posted, as I am sure everybody really cares.

Thanks again for everything, it's much appreciated!

John
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
scorpiusss

Ok, so the update is complete.

A couple of issues I noted off the bat:

1) The ring profiles got reset (who cares, I can set them back to the previous settings)
2) I now have inbox icons for each email account that I had setup. However, the emails are summarized in the "Messages" box, as well as in the individual inboxes. Does anybody have any experience with this, or any suggestions?

3) I bought my BB on my own, but my firm also uses BB. After the update, their own registration was pushed through, and now it looks like it's their property, at least that's what the info says. Hehehe, helpdesk, here I come!

Thanks all for your help, and I welcome your suggestions about the new os.
Closed Thread