BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Foreverstargirl

Model: 7250
Default Should I Stay with a Blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my Blackberry for a week now and am having fun playing around with it. I have a 7250 but was planning to exchange it for the 7130 model, based on some good advice I got through this forum.

I've had two people tell me that I should get my money back, switch to Verizon, and get a device that is Windows-based. Other than already knowing Windows and what the screens look like, they said my e-mails would be able to sync with my work computer. They said the Blackberry copies the e-mails back and forth, so you have two identical messages to manage.

I've been a US Cellular customer for a long time, but I don't have a problem switching to Verizon if its device is "better". Can some of you give me your feedback on what to do?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Crack7520Berry

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverstargirl
I've had my Blackberry for a week now and am having fun playing around with it. I have a 7250 but was planning to exchange it for the 7130 model, based on some good advice I got through this forum.

I've had two people tell me that I should get my money back, switch to Verizon, and get a device that is Windows-based. Other than already knowing Windows and what the screens look like, they said my e-mails would be able to sync with my work computer. They said the Blackberry copies the e-mails back and forth, so you have two identical messages to manage.

I've been a US Cellular customer for a long time, but I don't have a problem switching to Verizon if its device is "better". Can some of you give me your feedback on what to do?

I have had the Sprint PPC6700, T-Mobiles MDA and the SDA, all 3 SUCKED. Windows Mobile is at BEST a flawed platform and in reality a fuster cluck of a phone OS. Stick with BlackBerry and you wont have to come back like I have. Also you cant lose with a 7130e!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
crispysaturn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would have to agree with the above. I owned on the upwards of 6 pocket pc's. As of right now they are all sold, and I'm running a bb 8700g. I will never go back!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Foreverstargirl

Can I get some specifics for why the Blackberry is a better option than going with a device that runs on Windows? My company won't be getting an Enterprise server (at least in the near future) but that's not a big deal is it? The IT Manager is advocating for all employees to have the same device and he thinks something like a Palm Treo 700w is a better option than the Blackberry because of Windows.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Institute
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Blackberrys have longer battery life, no bugs like windows and do not freeze every other day like windows. Sounds like your IT manager does not want you guys to be productive on the road with your mobile device if he is thinking 700w. If you want to have a constant headache go with the windows device. I usually buy a new device every 6 months but I have had my 8700g for the longest out of any phone/pda I have every bought.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I'd say stick with the BB. I had the Moto Q from Verizon that worked on Windows and it was terrible. It constantly locked up on me, and the email was unreliable. Battery life was also terrible.

I have friends who have used the Treo and they didn't have nice things to say about them either.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Windows on a Mobile Device is not exactly like Windows on a "Smart"phone. The Motorola Q is not like a PC.
Windows Mobile has a long history of instability. Reboots. Rebuilds. Resets. And WM5 is not that much better than PPC. I have a T-Mobile MDA and a Motorola Q. Neither work for me.

The functionality of a BlackBerry for wireless e-mail far exceeds the functionality of any Windows Mobile device. YES, I AM BIASED. Of course I am.

But I also have to watch out for what is out there. I have a Treo 600 (doorstop) and a Treo 650 (doorstop). Now the MDA and the Q. Each and every one has been the BlackBerry killer. My wife had a Treo 650 and traded up to a T-Mobile 7105t. WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM ME

Can you sync your mail to a PPC/WM device. Yes. But unless you have Exchange 2003 with the wireless feature pack, NOTHING is wireless.

BIS is years ahead of what can be done with WM5.

A hosted BES solution could also work for you.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
sittnduck

Model: 8700c

Like most of the above comments, I have had a Treo since it was conceived. Each time they got better, but they never were as stable as I needed in the field. I tried various times going to IPAQ'a and other Windows Based Mobile devices, but they have their own set of issues as well. The one thing I truly enjoy with the BB is stability. It makes me smile

The email I never synced anyway. I always used email apps that let me manage my mobile email independently, I'd receive the same email on my PC as my BB, and any replies I make in the field using the mobile would be bcc'd to my pc address. I never really saw the need to sync email between the two, but each to their own. Good luck with your choice!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
asianmaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9520
Carrier: Tmobile

I started off with an extremely expensive Axim running Windows mobile. It was an utter nightmare getting my email. Buying the BB was a revelation - easy and it works. I'm on the road a lot and having the ability to sync my outlook calendar is marvellous. When I want files I use Avvenu. And I have a mobile keyboard for long trips and emergencies.

Since I got the BB my working life has become easy. With the Axim it just became harder.

"There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good." William Faulkner
Old 07-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
...The IT Manager is advocating for all employees to have the same device and he thinks something like a Palm Treo 700w is a better option than the Blackberry because of Windows....

Last edited by adamlau; 07-27-2006 at 04:05 PM..
Old 07-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
ThinkingFresh

Model: 8700g

yes blackberry is the best thing to ever happen to me
Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
Dale Emery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Default Not to mention.............

The physical durability. Or as Rejon calls it "ruggedness". We get sooooooo many TREO's returned due to drops. If people are going to be active with these devices, they should be able to survive a drop of 3 feet onto a carpeted floor. Why do you think you can't get (or it's so expensive to get)insurance on them ??

Unless he does some research, I say your IT guy is creating a lot of work for himself.

Blackberries are seme pretty durable devices.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #13
Halford
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

any news? Is the company going to let you keep your BB rather than other pagers/phones? Is the IT manager trying to make himself look good by staying busy? The company might cut his job off because BB do not have any problems

Hal
Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I've had two people tell me that I should...get a device that is Windows-based.
Hmm...No comment .
Quote:
They said the Blackberry copies the e-mails back and forth, so you have two identical messages to manage.
Even if this were the case, the issue can be resolved through various means.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
fosgate

Welcome!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
flash24

PIN: 3319688F

I would stay with the blackberry family or else... heheh j/k.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #17
seanism

I worked at Sprint and all the windows devices were laggy and sluggish. I have a Treo 650 and I am waiting for my 7250 to arrive. My Treo randomly restarts and it seems to be getting worse. Everytime I see a new PDA phone come out it appears to be great on paper but once its in my hand and I spend 5 minutes playing with it I can't stand it. I do simple things like open the start menu and then an app or two and it just lags and seems unresponsive.

If you still don't know goto a cell phone store and play with a WM5 device and start opening applications and play around with it for a good 10 minutes. You will know your answer after your experiences with it.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #18
Milkman

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack7520Berry
Windows Mobile is at BEST a flawed platform and in reality a fuster cluck of a phone OS.
Much like the Microsoft desktop OS!!! lol

Make sure you know that if you get a 7130 it will be Suretype... You should probably play with Suretype first to make sure you will like it.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
Halford
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

...The IT Manager is advocating for all employees to have the same device and he thinks something like a Palm Treo 700w is a better option than the Blackberry because of Windows....

It is like going from BB to the 1960"s phone if your company switched to Treo 700
Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #20
A3SC

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispysaturn
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would have to agree with the above. I owned on the upwards of 6 pocket pc's. As of right now they are all sold, and I'm running a bb 8700g. I will never go back!
SOLD 'EM! How did you do that??? I cant even GIVE my ipaq away!
(it stinks soooooooooooooo bad)

Welcome foreverstargirl ...from a fellow newbie!