Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
manyways

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three
Default Cell Broadcast Settings

Please Login to Remove!

Hey Guys, im new to blackberrys and purchased a 8900 curve

Im trying to turn on cell broadcasting channel 050, which should show cell tower info on the mobile.

I can turn broadcasting on, but cant seem to add any channels, i press the menu button when *"*Empty*" channel list is selected but dont have an option to add channels.....manual says i should have an option?

anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Bluffheights90814
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

What is the benefit of having the cell broadcast enabled? Should it normally be enabled or disabled? What is the purposed of this feature?

Can't find anything in the owner's manual that pertains to this feature.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffheights90814 View Post
What is the benefit of having the cell broadcast enabled? Should it normally be enabled or disabled? What is the purposed of this feature?

Can't find anything in the owner's manual that pertains to this feature.
It doesn't matter for us in the USA. Our providers don't use Broadcast Messages.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
manyways

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three

i had a go with a friend's bold and it does come up with an option to add channels, however on the 8900 no add channel option is available

wondering if other users have the option?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
revolutiongto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
i had a go with a friend's bold and it does come up with an option to add channels, however on the 8900 no add channel option is available

wondering if other users have the option?
It's there on my Rogers 8900. It's in Options > Advanced Options > Cell Broadcast Settings > scroll down under Channels to *Empty* and hit the blackberry button, and you get an option to Add Channel
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
revolutiongto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffheights90814 View Post
What is the purposed of this feature?
As to this copied from the google...

Cell broadcasting allows text messages to be broadcast to all mobile handsets in a given geographical area. This area can range from the area covered by a single cell to the whole network. Because cell broadcast works by targeting particular cells no knowledge of mobile telephone numbers is required, unlike bulk SMS. Also cell broadcasting places a very low load on the network, a cell broadcast to every subscriber on the network is equivalent to sending an SMS message to a single phone. Network loading problems can cause severe problems in emergency situations when network usage is likely to be very high anyway and in these circumstances SMS messages can be delayed for hours or days or even lost altogether.

The cell broadcast technology provides for 64000 broadcast channels so that different types of message (severe weather, terrorist, missing child etc) could be broadcast on different channels. Not every subscriber would necessarily receive all the channels and hence all the messages. Channels can be activated from the handset or remotely by the network. Ideally certain channels would be allocated for certain message types and these would be standardised globally so that travellers would receive alerts wherever they happen to be.
Closed Thread