BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Audi A6 Integrated Bluetooth and BlackBerry 8800 - Working Beautifully Together

Please Login to Remove!

I am the lucky owner of a 2006 Audi A6 S-line. One of the coolest features of the car is the Bluetooth link that is integrated into the car's Multi-Media Interface (MMI).

I have been using the MMI interface with a Treo 650 for nearly a year, and it worked really well, but there were a few hinky/buggy issues, and it seemed to cause the phone to reset itself randomly when you dialed using the MMI.

I recently switched to a BlackBerry 8800. I checked out the Bluetooth compatibility chart provided by Audi before making the switch. It clearly states that "Phonebook Sync" is "Not Supported" for BlackBerry Devices.

I imagined I would still be able to receive and dial calls, but that the phonebook wouldn't sync up. That was OK, because the phonebook sync with the Treo was such a pain, that I was regularly just dialing from the Treo handset. Also, the MMI has an internal directory where I could program the most important numbers I needed, and still be able to dial them from the MMI.

So, expecting only basic call and answer functionality from my new BlackBerry, I paired it with my Audi A6's MMI.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I noticed that the "Phone Book" option in the MMI was highlighted and selectable once the BlackBerry had done it's initial sync with the MMI. Curiously I opened it, and found hundreds and hundereds of phone numbers generated from the 2038 contact records I currently have stored on the BlackBerry. Also, there was an alphabetical search feature to help you quickly get to the entry you are looking for. When I checked this, I noticed that the entries only went through the letter "G", which, based on my Contacts file, means somewhere around 1000 individual phone numbers (most of my contacts have multiple numbers in them) were able to sync to the MMI before it's memory was filled up.

However, a day later, I discovered a setting on the BlackBerry under Bluetooth Options, called "Address Book Transfer". This includes a setting that allows you to select one of the following for syncing with the Audi MMI (and I would assume similar systems in other vehicles):
  • Disabled
  • All Entries
  • Hotlist Only
  • Selected Categories Only

I certainly don't need ALL of my 2038 contacts phone numbers on my car's MMI display. So, in Outlook, I just created a new category called "MMI Phonebook", and on the BlackBerry chose the "Selected Categories Only" setting, and specified this category (It lets you specify more than one, and they can be any category that you have already set up in Outlook). Then I added this category only to the Outlook contacts that I wanted to have on the car's MMI.

To my great delight, the next time I got into the car with my BlackBerry 8800, I noticed that all of the numbers that I would want to access from the MMI display are now present! I tested dialing a few, and they all work perfectly.

So if you are a recent model year Audi owner and your car has the MMI with integrated Bluetooth, you can rest assured that the 8800 phonebook will actually sync with your MMI despite what Audi says about this being "Not Supported". Furthermore, the BlackBerry firmware provides enough flexibility that it should be possible for you to get exactly what you want onto the MMI.

I thought this was so cool I had to share it! ;) Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.
Carrier: at&t

I'm jealous! I love the Audi line and it's cool that the 8800 works so well with it. I wonder if I can convince my wife to let me buy a new metal case for my 8800.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
bunzeye

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Do you know why this works so well with the 8800? I have a 8703e and the address book does not transfer to my A6. I have Verizon service.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunzeye
Do you know why this works so well with the 8800? I have a 8703e and the address book does not transfer to my A6. I have Verizon service.
Probably because you have a Verizon phone. You would likely encounter the same issue with any of the other "bluetooth enabled" phones offered by Verizon.

Verizon is well known for "crippling" the handsets they offer by removing/disabling features, so that you are forced to use their pay-per-service network based features instead. My experience with Verizon (and a major reason I dumped them as my carrier) is that they disable ALL bluetooth features except for the headset profile. That means that even some of the most basic features of headsets (like being able to activate your voice dialing program from your headset) will not work on Verizon phones in many cases.

Verizon reduces bluetooth to a wireless cable replacement, and prevents you from being able to use all of its other valuable functions. If you want to sync your phone with your PC via bluetooth, or transfer files etc.....you can forget about it with Verizon. They want you to use an inferior method, but one which they can charge you fees for, to transfer files etc. over their network. If you ask them, they will give you some BS story like it is because of "security reasons", but everyone knows that a secure encrypted transfer between paired BT devices is more secure than an over-the-air network transfer. And it's way more convenient for the customer too. But it just doesn't have as the potential to pad Verizon's bottom line further.

It may also be related to firmware differences between the CDMA phone that you get from Verizon and the GSM/EDGE phone that Cingular provides, but I think it's far more likely this is due to what I have discussed above. If you know someone with a BB on Cingular, try pairing it with your car and see what happens.

I can tell you for certain, this is working flawlessly with my Cingular 8800 and 2006 Audi A6 MMI. The 8800 is my first BB handset, so I can't speak to compatibility of older models of BB.

Good luck. If you can get it to work, it is absolutely fantastic in daily use.

Last edited by JG in SB; 03-04-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
993Turbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT
Default 2007 Rs4

I have an RS4. My 8700c had no issue with the sync, other than the fact that I also have north of 2000 contacts in my BB and Outlook.

I just found the 'sync categories' function a few days ago on the 8800. Since I am a heavy user of categories in Outlook, I simply chose those categories that contain the contact I would want to see in the Audi display (my family calls this Audifone). Pefect!

I am now having issue keeping the BT connection. I had the 8800 BT devices: Audi and a Motorola H700. Perfect connect every time on the Audi. Never dropped. Never liked that H700 much so picked up a Jawbone. Fitted it with Jabra Eargel (Radio shack 7.99) and the perfect BT headset is created. BUT, with the JB also included in the device list, the Audi drops the BT connection and the 8800 locks up as far as BT goes. Some sort of uncaught exception message. Hard boot is the only way to clear it. Numerous hard boots, device deletions and re-syncs, seem to have same issue. I am now trying settings where JB connection must be permitted manually.

My weekdays include much BT Audi connection and non-Audi BT, so perhaps I can finally figure this out.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993Turbo
I have an RS4. My 8700c had no issue with the sync, other than the fact that I also have north of 2000 contacts in my BB and Outlook.

I just found the 'sync categories' function a few days ago on the 8800. Since I am a heavy user of categories in Outlook, I simply chose those categories that contain the contact I would want to see in the Audi display (my family calls this Audifone). Pefect!

I am now having issue keeping the BT connection. I had the 8800 BT devices: Audi and a Motorola H700. Perfect connect every time on the Audi. Never dropped. Never liked that H700 much so picked up a Jawbone. Fitted it with Jabra Eargel (Radio shack 7.99) and the perfect BT headset is created. BUT, with the JB also included in the device list, the Audi drops the BT connection and the 8800 locks up as far as BT goes. Some sort of uncaught exception message. Hard boot is the only way to clear it. Numerous hard boots, device deletions and re-syncs, seem to have same issue. I am now trying settings where JB connection must be permitted manually.

My weekdays include much BT Audi connection and non-Audi BT, so perhaps I can finally figure this out.

First of all, I am jealous of your RS4. What color is it??

Second, as luck would have it, I ALSO have a Jawbone. The problem is that both the Jawbone (and any BT headset for that matter) and the Audi MMI bluetooth want to use the same bluetooth services on the 8800. So if they are both on, they will be fighting for the connection to the phone. This might cause a conflict/freeze situation, or one device might get the connection, or the other, but you will never control which will "win" the conflict. I had the same problem with my Treo 650 and the BT headset I used with it.

The simple solution is to just turn off your Jawbone headset when you get into the car. Then the car will connect up to the 8800 and the connection should not drop at all. That has been my experience so far. I have even noticed that if I forgot to turn off the Jawbone and I see the Audi BT isn't connecting, I can then turn off the Jawbone, and momentarily, the Audi will link up with my 8800. Having both Audi BT and Jawbone paired with your 8800 and on the BT devices list should not be an issue, just as long as they aren't both trying to link with it at the same time.

Finally, you don't want to (I am not sure if you even can) pair your Jawbone with the Audi BT. Audi MMI cannot route your calls to the Jawbone headset, and the BT confusion that could casue among the devices is not something I would expect to be beneficial. Quite the opposite ;)

The Jawbone is so easy to turn on/off, and it connects up perfectly with the 8800 each time, that this should be easy to do.

Last edited by JG in SB; 03-04-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
993Turbo

Daytona Grey. Fantastic car.

I dont have the JB on when I get in the car. There seems to be some issue with the JB and the Audi on the 8800. As I indicated, if I leave the JB OFF the 8800 alltogether, the Audi is fine. If I add the JB to the 8800, leave the JB OFF, the 8800 loses connection with the Audi and locks up BT-wise. I will keep messing with it.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
JG in SB

Quote:
Daytona Grey. Fantastic car.

I dont have the JB on when I get in the car. There seems to be some issue with the JB and the Audi on the 8800. As I indicated, if I leave the JB OFF the 8800 alltogether, the Audi is fine. If I add the JB to the 8800, leave the JB OFF, the 8800 loses connection with the Audi and locks up BT-wise. I will keep messing with it.

Daytona Grey.....Niiiiiiice!

Have you checked the setting sunder bluetooth proerties for the Audi in your 8800. My experience was that it paired up just fine, but then had trouble connecting subsequently. Then, I went into the Audi device properties within bluetooth settings on the 8800, and set the "trusted" setting to "yes".

Also, I don't know how you did your initial pairing, but I let the Audi contact my 8800 the initial time, rather than using the 8800 to search and find the Audi.

Please elt us know if you come up with a solution. It may be something related to the fact that there is a different system in My A6 than there is in the RS4.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
993Turbo

RS4---Seems to be working OK now. I left the Jawbone setting on manual and the Audi on auto. Seemed to do the trick.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
JG in SB

Default Good To See It Is Working -

Quote:
RS4---Seems to be working OK now. I left the Jawbone setting on manual and the Audi on auto. Seemed to do the trick.
Awesome!! So basically, if the 8800 detects the Audi BT it will go ahead and connect to it, but you have to "authorize connections to the Jawbone?

It makes sense that this would resolve the "conflict" of them both going for the same service, although I still think it is strange, because if the Jawbone is turned off, there should be no conflict possible.

Only one other thing I can think of for you to try if you want: when I paired my 800 with the Audi BT, I let the Audi "ask" the 8800 for a connection the first time, rather than using the 8800 to search for the Audi BT. I don;t know if that makes a difference, but if you are willing to experiment, you might give that try and see if you are then able to leave your Jawbone connection settings on "auto" as well.

If you try it, please let us know what the result is.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #11
homantag

Model: 8100

I have the 8100 (Pearl), and an Audi Q7, so while a little off, I thought maybe I can find some help here - there is no help elsewhere.
I can get the phone to pair with the system and they both recognize each other. When the car is first turned on, a connection is made. If I let everything sit idle, the connection is lost. If I make a call when the connection is first made, everything works fine. When I hang up after that first call, and quickly make another call, the connection remains, and everythign works fine. If I hang up after any call (first or otherwise), and let the phone sit idle, the connection is lost again. I cannot understand this.

I called Audi, and they said that the Pearl is not on their "approved" list. Their approved list is pathetic (old phones from when they were testing the car 2 years ago!!). I can't undertand how this does not work. The bluetooth compatibility is fine with my Infiniti M35, and I thought the protocol was universal for all bluetooth phones.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it - this functionality was something I need for my everyday work.

What I did notice is that on the A6, someone posted that they aked the Audi to look for their phone. How did you do that? The option does not seem to exist in the Q7.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
mksap11

Carrier: T-Mo

I have both a T-Mo Pearl (8100) and a Q7. I have had no problems with Bluetooth connectivity even though I've upgraded the OS multiple times to different carriers' OS.

Have you verified that the Q7's BT module is listed in your Bluetooth devices? Is it set as Trusted?

The Q7 module is listed as "Audi UHV 9504" and I'm running OS 4.2.1.66 on my pearl.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
m70537

hi mksap11,
i have an audi a6 avant new type, with a phone preparation in the middle between the two frint seats.
Bluetooth is also working fine with my nokia 6310i.
Now i will get an blackberry 8100.
There is no connection like the nokia, but you said, that the bluetooth connection will work with the MMI, right. I thin Q7 and new a& have the same system.

My problem is, that i don ´t want to take calls with tha incar antenna of the device. I want to use the outdoor antenna in the roof.

Do you have a craddle with apower plug and connection to the outdoor antenna for your 8100 in the Q7? And using the bluetooth connection to connect to the MMI phonebook?

That would be grat. Can you send pictures and data of that insallation?

With best regards from Germany

m70537
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by homantag
I have the 8100 (Pearl), and an Audi Q7, so while a little off, I thought maybe I can find some help here - there is no help elsewhere.
I can get the phone to pair with the system and they both recognize each other. When the car is first turned on, a connection is made. If I let everything sit idle, the connection is lost. If I make a call when the connection is first made, everything works fine. When I hang up after that first call, and quickly make another call, the connection remains, and everythign works fine. If I hang up after any call (first or otherwise), and let the phone sit idle, the connection is lost again. I cannot understand this.

I called Audi, and they said that the Pearl is not on their "approved" list. Their approved list is pathetic (old phones from when they were testing the car 2 years ago!!). I can't undertand how this does not work. The bluetooth compatibility is fine with my Infiniti M35, and I thought the protocol was universal for all bluetooth phones.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it - this functionality was something I need for my everyday work.

What I did notice is that on the A6, someone posted that they aked the Audi to look for their phone. How did you do that? The option does not seem to exist in the Q7.
Hi,

I am the A6 guy. To clarify, I did not tell the Audi MMI to look for the BlackBerry. I just remember that I got into my car, the BlackBerry was on, with bluetooth enabled, and when I turned on the car, within a few seconds, a notice showed up on the BlackBerry asking me if I wanted to pair with the Audi Bluetooth. Then I paired it.

I have since unpaired and re-paired the two devices to resolve an issue with the recent call logs not syncing correctly, and I wan not able to repeat the process of letting the MMI "ask" for the first connection. However, even having initiated the pairing from the blackBerry, it is all synced up and working perfectly.

For reference, I am using the BalckBerry 8800 from Cingular.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
mksap11

Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m70537
hi mksap11,
i have an audi a6 avant new type, with a phone preparation in the middle between the two frint seats.
Bluetooth is also working fine with my nokia 6310i.
Now i will get an blackberry 8100.
There is no connection like the nokia, but you said, that the bluetooth connection will work with the MMI, right. I thin Q7 and new a& have the same system.

My problem is, that i don ´t want to take calls with tha incar antenna of the device. I want to use the outdoor antenna in the roof.

Do you have a craddle with apower plug and connection to the outdoor antenna for your 8100 in the Q7? And using the bluetooth connection to connect to the MMI phonebook?

That would be grat. Can you send pictures and data of that insallation?

With best regards from Germany

m70537
You're right, I'd be mildly surpised if the A6 and Q7 don't use the same BT/MMI system. I am not using a cradle as I believe that the only 2 ones available in the US are for a specific Motorola and Nokia phone. The 8100's antenna is not bad, but I don't have to travel through too many fringe areas.

The 8100 works wonderfully for me. My phone is not BES connected, however, so I have no security policies that may or may not impact things like BT phonebook transfers, etc...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
JG in SB

"The 8100 works wonderfully for me. My phone is not BES connected, however, so I have no security policies that may or may not impact things like BT phonebook transfers, etc..."

My Cingular 8800 is BES connected and there are no security policies that are affecting bluetooth connectivity with my Audi MMI.

Also, there are very few cradles actually available from Audi, and the ones that are, are usually for phones that were obsolete back in 2005.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
tomcreed

Model: 8700
Angry Blackberry 8100 (Pearl) - Audi A6 2007 - Does NOT Work

I am really disappointed. The Audi A6 Avant 2007 is a beautiful car, we just bought one. However my blackberry 8100 - pearl- also the best all in one device I have ever owned, the bluetooth does NOT work with this car.

One would think that in 2007 when Bluetooth is advertised it would work, not sometimes, depending on your model number.

Does anyone have ideas for a solution?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
TheYoshi

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcreed
I am really disappointed. The Audi A6 Avant 2007 is a beautiful car, we just bought one. However my blackberry 8100 - pearl- also the best all in one device I have ever owned, the bluetooth does NOT work with this car.

One would think that in 2007 when Bluetooth is advertised it would work, not sometimes, depending on your model number.

Does anyone have ideas for a solution?
Doesn't work at all? I'd be kind of surprised my 8800 works fine with my A6 4.2 (2005) and I even had a Motorola razr working with it and in general I find motorola's bluetooth implementations to be the most finicky.

I also have used my car's bluetooth successfully with an 8700c. As the 8100 is a model that came out between the 8700 and the 8800 in terms of release dates, etc. it would be very strange indeed that it would not work.

have you updated your 8100 to the latest software etc.? Do you have other phones that you have successfully paired with the car so you can be sure you are following the right process?

If you provide more detail I'll try to help you out.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
TheYoshi

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB

The simple solution is to just turn off your Jawbone headset when you get into the car. Then the car will connect up to the 8800 and the connection should not drop at all. That has been my experience so far. I have even noticed that if I forgot to turn off the Jawbone and I see the Audi BT isn't connecting, I can then turn off the Jawbone, and momentarily, the Audi will link up with my 8800. Having both Audi BT and Jawbone paired with your 8800 and on the BT devices list should not be an issue, just as long as they aren't both trying to link with it at the same time.
Interesting. I've found my A6 will not over-ride the headset if I get into my car while using it. With my old Razr (I used to be a 2 device guy and had a bberry 7230 and a Motorola Razr) it would actually disconnect the headset and attach to the car automatically which I thought was very cool. Now it won't change unless I tell the 8800 to switch which it will do so flawlessly.

So if I'm on the headset and get in the car, I just use the menu from within the call screen and choose "Activate Audi UHV" or whatever it is that the car shows up as, can't remember off the top of my head.

Also a bit of advice for you on the phone book. If you actually COPY selected numbers into the car's phone book you can use the car's voice command system to call people for example:

push "talk" button on steering wheel
"Telephone" (assuming you aren't in the MMI telephone screen already)
"Call John Smith at the office, landline"

or "Call John Smith at home, mobile"

it will then confirm, you just say yes and it will dial the number.

you have to store voice tags for the people (just the name, not the "home/office, landline/mobile" part)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to have the car just use the voice dialing system in the blackberry but the car is good enough I have found.

You can also dial numbers through the car voice command system.

"Dial Number" to which it will reply "the number please" and then just say the number and click the dial button.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post
Interesting. I've found my A6 will not over-ride the headset if I get into my car while using it. With my old Razr (I used to be a 2 device guy and had a bberry 7230 and a Motorola Razr) it would actually disconnect the headset and attach to the car automatically which I thought was very cool. Now it won't change unless I tell the 8800 to switch which it will do so flawlessly.

So if I'm on the headset and get in the car, I just use the menu from within the call screen and choose "Activate Audi UHV" or whatever it is that the car shows up as, can't remember off the top of my head.

Also a bit of advice for you on the phone book. If you actually COPY selected numbers into the car's phone book you can use the car's voice command system to call people for example:

push "talk" button on steering wheel
"Telephone" (assuming you aren't in the MMI telephone screen already)
"Call John Smith at the office, landline"

or "Call John Smith at home, mobile"

it will then confirm, you just say yes and it will dial the number.

you have to store voice tags for the people (just the name, not the "home/office, landline/mobile" part)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to have the car just use the voice dialing system in the blackberry but the car is good enough I have found.

You can also dial numbers through the car voice command system.

"Dial Number" to which it will reply "the number please" and then just say the number and click the dial button.
Yeah. That car voice dialing thing works really well. I plan on copying just the most important numbers that I use regularly to the car "Directory" memory. On the other hand, the MMI dial thing is also so easy to use that I often find myself using it as quickly as I might use the voice dialer. I still sort of feel like a dork when I am talking to my car. Like "Night Rider" ;)
Closed Thread