BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #261
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Test54 brings up a great point. I think it was the Treo or a PPC that was drained within hours using WiFi.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #262
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Test54 brings up a great point. I think it was the Treo or a PPC that was drained within hours using WiFi.
bluetooth is also a big battery killer.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #263
RobM

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
Most of the positives are preference and not business related which is what makes this device attractive to non business types...

music, video - not business related but sure its better then BB in that sense

telephone - I have no complaints about the BB phone so its preference since it does not do anything special a BB phone can't do.. in fact i heard the iPhone speaker is not loud at all and some read some complaints about it

size, shape - again preference, i wouldn't say it is better then a BB and compared to an 8300 the 8300 is far more attractive to me!!!

web - with wifi its going to always be faster then any BB but the new 8300 TM version is coming out with wifi so puts an end to that although the interface is better on the iPhone...keep in mind when Wifi is not around its on the same EDGE network as BB.. and i don't spend my time at coffee shops to get the wifi benefit and if im at home i use my desktop

battery - well i have not tested the iPhone long enough to see which lasts longer but i have not had any battery issues with my bb so you may be right if it does last longer then a bb.. i wouldn't know

exclusivity - what are we in high school.. i dint see how this is exclusive when over 500,000 were sold the first weekend not to mention everyone and their mom has one.. plus how does it make it any better then a BB

its what it doesn't do that makes it inferior to the BB as a business tool with the lack of a full keypad and ability to sync with Exchange -push email/calendar/addr book , etc

I think you forgot to name another negative...which is price. I am not sure what you all paid for your BB, I got mine on a special ATT was running for $199 (8800). In either event, I would not even consider buying one until 2 things happen...1) the price comes down (not becuase I cant afford it...but why would I want to) and 2) this is the first revision of this phone, apples entry into this market and there is no way something is not going to go wrong in short order due to too many things being done in one device...somethings gotta give...mark my words...so I would wait for version 2 but I love my 8800 with opera mini beta...I basically have what I need

IMO, the Iphone appears to be more like a toy then a business device. I admit, it is pretty, but pretty is only skin deep...

rob
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #264
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

i paid 379 each for me and my girls 8800. 499 isnt far off

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #265
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

paid $299 for my 8800 and $199 for my ipod.
So price is not a major concern.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #266
aphex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

Because of the way Apple does business I wouldn't expect to see a price drop soon (ever).

iPhones will remain $499 & $599. What will change is storage capacities, etc. Apple products historically remain the same price while features change, etc.

There is also currently absolutely no reason to lower the price - These things are already selling like crazy at $499/$599. Wouldn't make much business sense to change it!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #267
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
paid $299 for my 8800 and $199 for my ipod.
So price is not a major concern.
I had just entered a contract with Cingular with a Treo 650, coming from a local carrier called MetroPCS. Because of that, I had to pay full price for the BB8800. In Downtown San Francisco, full price is $499. But the store where I bought it was great. Very good service. I called in my request for the phone, and even though they had only two left, they promissed to hold one for me, and they did. It had been years since I had owned a BB. Last time I owned one, it didn't have a built in phone. I needed a refresher on how to use it when I first purchased it, and they spent a good 30 minutes with me going over it. I didn't ask for that either. My sales guy just started showing me how to use it, and when I felt ready I thanked him and that was that. But great service is something I hope to always get. In my area, I sort of expect it. When I don't get it, it bothers me. Dropping the Treo so soon after I got into the contract was my fault. On a good note though, I happen to know someone who loves her Treo 600, and the screen on it was very dull. So I gave her my Treo 650. She's also on Cingular, so she could use it, and I felt like it helped someone. Yet another person I know had an even worse Treo, and had I known I'd have given it to her. But as luck would have it, she saw that new iPhone and went with that anyway.

So in the end, I got my BB, one friend got a new treo at my expense, which is no problem at all, and another friend got a nice new iPhone. So everyone is happy with their phones. And it just goes to show you. Different folks like different things often for very different reasons.

Best,

Alex
Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #268
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Just read all of this.. wow long read.

Review: Apple iPhone leaves users wanting more - CNN.com
Old 07-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #269
Blackberryer

Model: 8830

I think most of the folks who are absolutely in love with their iPhones are probably people who have never owned a smartphone before. If you're going to that from a regular cell, of course you're going to love it. However, if you've owned any kind of decent smartphone previously, it's going to be lacking despite all the cool bells and whistles.

I'd bet that the next generation of iPhones will get more, if not all, of the little things (and big things - 3G is a must along with OTA downloads) right and that will be the device to own. As it stands right now, I have no desire to spend $600 to essentially test out a beta version of what will be a great device sometime down the road.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #270
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

i have been on BB for 8 years but do see that its not a bad option as non BES users doesn't get the full BB experience. I would definately not say that most of these people are not pda owners. they sold 600k-700k of these things at that price so i think it is a wide variety of people including pda owners.

3G is nice but all the ones I have played with have been battery hogs and at this point i dont think apple wants to put out another one of those.

I agree that it needs more apps and refinements but I also think that the majority of these can be done through software updates. Apple is usually very good (like a computer company should be) at releasing updates to their software and I think this will be no different.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #271
nbontis

Model: 8703
Carrier: Bell
Exclamation Bnn

Check out this news clip featuring BB 8830 vs. i Phone.

I was the guy they interviewed.

globeandmail.com: RIM Vs iPhone

Cheers, Nick

Dr. Nick Bontis

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #272
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewberry View Post
What is does better:

-music and video(obviously)
-telephone (imo it's far superior to bb)
-web (with wifi it is really breakthrough- w/ edge I'd argue inferior to bb because you can't turn off graphics so it's a turtle)
-size, shape, build-quality (far superior imo)
-battery (far superior imo)
-exclusivity (not a big factor for me, but worth noting)

What is does worse:

-push email (no ms exchange, YET)
-keyboard (majority probably dislikes, I'm growing fond of it quickly)
Very interesting, in light of the fact that most of the professional reviews have been WAY less than complimentary about the phone part. Even MacWorld themselves didn't like the phone part much. Were you reviewing the same phone they did? Here's the phone section out of the most detailed, most comprehensive review I've read yet. Mind you, this was not a "hater" review - they gushed about the "Luscious Design and Interface" and called it "a sublime media player and a flawed phone", saying this about the phone - NOTE that they tested it directly alongside a BlackBerry Curve:

Quote:
Well, the iPhone is a multimedia-iPod-thing with a phone tacked on. Call quality on this thing is surprisingly bad, until you remember it's Apple's first stab at a phone. Remember: the first BlackBerrys with phone capability were awful phones. Making a great voice phone is a complex, black art.

To dial a number with the iPhone, you have to click at least four, but usually six times: power button, unlock swipe, phone icon, and then, if you're lucky, both on your "favorites" screen and the name one of your favorites. Otherwise, you have to tap "keypad" and start dialing. The virtual keypad's buttons are huge, so it's easy to type on. We'd still like to have seen some sort of force feedback on the keys, which we've seen on several Asian phones with Immersion haptics technology. You can't dial it without looking.

The earpiece volume is a bit understated and the speakerphone is downright quiet. Voices through the earpiece are a bit muffled, but comprehensible. Transmission, on the other hand, is vile. We got static in our in-ear feedback (an annoying first on any phone), and calls made with the iPhone sounded hideously compressed on the other end. We had two dropped calls, and significant audio wobble. At one point (and we're trying to figure out how this happened) we got the dit-dit-dit of GSM RFI interference over our own call. Tested in a weak signal area against a BlackBerry Curve, the iPhone did poorly—it couldn't connect two out of three calls, where the Curve could connect all three.

Voice dialing is a really useful feature for an all-touchscreen phone; pity iPhone doesn't offer it. Want ringtones? You're stuck with Apple's 25 lovely tones (including the always-popular "old phone ringer")—there's no way to construct, download, or even buy new tones. There's a vibrate mode, although it is pretty weak, and a useful physical mute switch on the side of the phone.
Apple iPhone: Fun, Fabulous and Flawed
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #273
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbontis View Post
Check out this news clip featuring BB 8830 vs. i Phone.

I was the guy they interviewed.

globeandmail.com: RIM Vs iPhone

Cheers, Nick

Dr. Nick Bontis

Hey, great clip, Nick, congratulations & cheers!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #274
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
i have been on BB for 8 years but do see that its not a bad option as non BES users doesn't get the full BB experience. I would definately not say that most of these people are not pda owners. they sold 600k-700k of these things at that price so i think it is a wide variety of people including pda owners.

3G is nice but all the ones I have played with have been battery hogs and at this point i dont think apple wants to put out another one of those.

I agree that it needs more apps and refinements but I also think that the majority of these can be done through software updates. Apple is usually very good (like a computer company should be) at releasing updates to their software and I think this will be no different.
Why update this one too much when they can offer a new and improved version in about a year or so? I have no doubt this thing will be like the iPod - the longer you wait, the better the model will be. Granted, the same could be said about any technology, but Apple seems to really embody this concept.

I have no idea what the percentage of non-smartphone owners vs. smartphone owners bought the thing. I don't think the price point plays a role because this was going to be the IT product of the summer, if not the year. I still stand by my assessment aftering playing with one - if you've previously owned a smartphone, there is quite a bit lacking on the iPhone once you get past the screen.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #275
xtopramen78
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
There is no point arguing with the people who seem to be under the impression that the Iphone will get perfect with software updates. These are the same people who ran out and abandoned their Blackberries when Microsoft advertised their shoddy PUSH e-mail. They all came running back to their Blackberries.

The same is true here. They will run out the buy the Iphone, and then get all upset when it does not work as advertised on their television sets, and will probably hang on for the "software updates" which will do nothing to improve an already horrible product.

As it has already been stated. The Iphone will not have MMS capabilities, it will not have GPS, and it will not have instant messaging capability. You are assuming Ichat will be introduced to the Iphone. You will also assume, I suppose, that You Tube will function on the Iphone.

You will be in for a big surprise, and I hope for all those people who do go running out like idiots, when you go to return it, you are not allowed to do so. Now that would be perfect.

They will then be stuck with the piece of crap, and a 2 year contract with Cingular.

There's a lot of people who feel this way about the Blackberry. I'm not one of them, but I know a lot of people who hate the Blackberry. You're not right, and neither are they.

It's a matter of taste. I like mushrooms, my brother hates mushrooms. Just because you like mushrooms, doesn't mean everybody else has to like mushrooms for the same reasons.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #276
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Well, here's an interesting true story. A friend who bought the iPhone just yesterday, says the cool factor has warn off, and he's going to return it. Says "the phone is cool and all, but the up front cost is ridiculous."

According to him his current Treo reboots often all by itself. I had a discussion with him about email capabilities. I doubt he is buying into a BB, and I am sure he hates his Treo. Sounds like he likes the iPhone, but hates the costs. He paid $499 for the 4GB version.

Anyway, it got me thinking. If the whole point of the iPhone is media, and you only have 4 GBs, then that's what, 2 movies and a few songs? Doesn't seem worth it to me either in that case.

-Alex
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #277
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

What's an iPhone?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #278
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewsan View Post
What's an iPhone?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #279
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
Well, here's an interesting true story. A friend who bought the iPhone just yesterday, says the cool factor has warn off, and he's going to return it. Says "the phone is cool and all, but the up front cost is ridiculous."

According to him his current Treo reboots often all by itself. I had a discussion with him about email capabilities. I doubt he is buying into a BB, and I am sure he hates his Treo. Sounds like he likes the iPhone, but hates the costs. He paid $499 for the 4GB version.

Anyway, it got me thinking. If the whole point of the iPhone is media, and you only have 4 GBs, then that's what, 2 movies and a few songs? Doesn't seem worth it to me either in that case.

-Alex
I think more people would be willing to try out a BB if the monthly costs weren't so high. I'm a new convert of only a few months, and I absolutely love the devices. However, if I didn't use it for my business and thus able to write off a portion of the monthly fees, I wouldn't own a BlackBerry. Especially on Verizon. $45 in addition to your cell phone bill is really outrageous. And that's the brickwall most folks run into when looking into these things. Most of my friends would love to own a BB, but they're not going to spend that much money on email. No value there for them and I can't say that they're wrong.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #280
BayshoreTommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317AF8EC
Default Outlook and Mac? Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Apple - iPhone - Get Ready

Apple will sync with outlook it will be more of a business tool then people think. If they intergrate Ichat and a BES alternative for companies. More people will switch then people expect.
First of all, Apple mixed with any corporate Microsoft Prodcut just sucks, our CEO insists on using his MacBook with Entourage while the rest of the corporation uses Outlook running on XP Pro.

He has issues all the time and he is running the best of the best hardware and software, unfortunatly MAC just doesnt fit into the corporate "on the go/mobile" environment that its trying to so hard to be a part of.

The iphone is a "Beautiful Failure" geared towards your crowd of myspacers and prepay type users.

Closed Thread