Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #241
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
your gonna start that crap again.. while you and your buddy FroogleThis started the debate !!!

give it a rest and grow up
OH REALLY?

Quote:
apples propietary mentally will kill them in the long run like it did with Compaq and packard bell years ago... the only reason they are still around is b/c the majority of spyware and viruses are aimed towards Windows OS... when the tables turn you will throw that apple in the garbage where it belongs... in a corp environment apple does not stand a chance... for the users who likes it simple its a good solution...
I'm sorry. Who started the debate?

That gave me a bit of a laugh.

Last edited by FroogleThis; 07-05-2007 at 12:14 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #242
freeloader12345
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Man not what i expected to find in this thread at all!!! NEways.

I believe the BB to be a business tool and with business comes the internet. The iPhone browser ROCKS. Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #243
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
OH REALLY?

I'm sorry. Who started the debate?

That gave me a bit of a laugh.
How many times are you going to edit your own threads in this post after you realize you've made another mental error...

give it a rest guy no one cares if you love Apple... Move along to the apple forum i hear they have great review of the iPhone and other Apple products

if i didn't know any better id say your a high school kid with your avatar that just like to stir the pot b/c you have nothing better to do...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #244
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
How many times are you going to edit your own threads in this post after you realize you've made another mental error...

give it a rest guy no one cares if you love Apple... Move along to the apple forum i hear they have great review of the iPhone and other Apple products

if i didn't know any better id say your a high school kid with your avatar that just like to stir the pot b/c you have nothing better to do...
WHat do you do all day? THis is funny coming back to this site a few times a day to get a good laugh.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #245
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

yea its really fun seeing these apple guys get stirred up... and this is a BB forum too
Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #246
aphex

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

I have both a 8800 (at&t) and an iPhone.

As a corporate mail user - the blackberry simply can't be beat. Its much quicker for me to respond on the blackberry and its mail client is totally solid.

From a consumer standpoint however, I really like the iPhones ability to stay synced with my personal pop3 mail and the mail client is solid as far as viewing emails, etc but it can be a pain to type on the keyboard when responding. I'm hoping Apple releases an software upgrade that will allow you to turn the iPhone sidways to type. Anyways - if any of you want I can take pictures of them side to side, etc.

I will say for now that as a business user I would stick with the blackberry but as far as smartphones go the iPhone is really up there.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #247
FroogleThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
I have both a 8800 (at&t) and an iPhone.

As a corporate mail user - the blackberry simply can't be beat. Its much quicker for me to respond on the blackberry and its mail client is totally solid.

From a consumer standpoint however, I really like the iPhones ability to stay synced with my personal pop3 mail and the mail client is solid as far as viewing emails, etc but it can be a pain to type on the keyboard when responding. I'm hoping Apple releases an software upgrade that will allow you to turn the iPhone sidways to type. Anyways - if any of you want I can take pictures of them side to side, etc.

I will say for now that as a business user I would stick with the blackberry but as far as smartphones go the iPhone is really up there.
I'd love to see some pictures. The model in the store I visited was all beat up.

If you have time, post some pics.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #248
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
Carrier: Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
There is no arguement that BB are used for business but the arguement is that "business" comes in millions of forms and to say that one pda is more suited for "business" is ridiculous.
Thanks T. You summarized my point very effectively.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #249
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I think ONE of the reasons many of us carry a BB from a business standpoint is to avoid having to carry multiple devices. And if you travel like some of us its very convenient as stated going through the airport to checkin a bb which i can put in the same tray as my shoes and slip right back in my pocket vs a big bulky bag for the laptop i have to carry around that essentially does the same thing my BB would do as a true Smart phone.

These devices keep getting better and better with each release and making mobile computing easier...
Jets,

I just throw my macbook pro in a polyform sleeve and it fits nicely in my carry on. I agree with many of your points and am loving this discussion (for the record I have both devices now, bb and iP) but to say that you can dispense with a laptop when traveling and only use a bb sounds to me like you have a very limited business use. I would think that for most business people to work effectively away from the office they'd need:

-mobile phone
-email
-ms office programs
-fast internet access

Without getting into my profession, if I'm sitting in the business lounge at most airports I'm pretty set by just sitting at a desk and sucking up the free wi-fi. Without it I can read/respond to emails, make phone calls, view word/pdf docs (not really excel). But it's all really just temp until I get to a computer to PROPERLY compose/respond to messages or glance at docs and spreadsheets.

I'll say this- if Apple does bring out full MS Exchange intergration (real push, cal/contact/tasks wireless sync) then I believe that bberry could be in for a lot of headaches. I would probably ditch my bberry once and for all at that point. Also, for those you who are unaware, the iP is VERY thin/small compared to a 8300/8800 imo. Obviously both fit in your pocket but the iP is significantly smaller and a MUCH higher quality design/build.

Last edited by jewberry; 07-05-2007 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #250
FroogleThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewberry View Post
Jets,

I throw my macbook pro is a polyform sleeve and it fits nicely in my carryon. I agree with many of your points and am loving this discussion (for the record I have both devices now, bb and iP) but to say that you can dispense with a laptop when traveling and only use a bb sounds indicates to me that your business uses are probably rather basic.
Based solely on how long you are traveling. I design while at my desk, but if I'm going away for a day, there's no good reason for me to take my laptop with me. Especially since most of the work I do requires more than just a few minutes here and there. The blackberry is more for the small things, like time entry, client lookup, estimates, etc. And regardless of what you package you MBP in, it's coming out of the sleeve and being placed in a box for screening (at least in my area's airports).
Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #251
aphex

Carrier: at&t

Sorry about the quality - I used a Canon SD1000 that can't seem to focus for crap :( I'll try later for some better quality ones.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #252
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Jets,

I just throw my macbook pro in a polyform sleeve and it fits nicely in my carry on. I agree with many of your points and am loving this discussion (for the record I have both devices now, bb and iP) but to say that you can dispense with a laptop when traveling and only use a bb sounds to me like you have a very limited business use. I would think that for most business people to work effectively away from the office they'd need:

-mobile phone
-email
-ms office programs
-fast internet access

Also, for those you who are unaware, the iP is VERY thin/small compared to a 8300/8800 imo. Obviously both fit in your pocket but the iP is significantly smaller and a MUCH higher quality design/build.
I guess it really depends on what your needs are.. My bb allows me to view everything i need from emails to docs etc going through BES... Wifi is not a big deal and EDGE is fast enough for what matters to me... obviously i can't do everything i want as the software is not available and probably never will be and thats where the desktop/laptop comes in when im back at the office...

each user has different wants/needs but i just don't see the iPhone as a replacement for my BB since it does not do anything special the BB can't do. Im sure apps will be written for it but at the same time RIM is also on the move with their new device to come...

and as far as size goes, i did notice the iPhone was slimmer however at the same time it was longer as well... for me an mp3 player or video player is nice but not a necessity, whats important is reliability and good service which BB has offered for years.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #253
FroogleThis

Don't hate me, but it's tempting. I don't think I would get the iPhone though. At least, not until it syncs to my exchange account.

Thanks for the pics!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #254
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Quote:
each user has different wants/needs but i just don't see the iPhone as a replacement for my BB since it does not do anything special the BB can't do. Im sure apps will be written for it but at the same time RIM is also on the move with their new device to come...
What is does better:

-music and video(obviously)
-telephone (imo it's far superior to bb)
-web (with wifi it is really breakthrough- w/ edge I'd argue inferior to bb because you can't turn off graphics so it's a turtle)
-size, shape, build-quality (far superior imo)
-battery (far superior imo)
-exclusivity (not a big factor for me, but worth noting)

What is does worse:

-push email (no ms exchange, YET)
-keyboard (majority probably dislikes, I'm growing fond of it quickly)
Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #255
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

iPhone is being hacked so bad right now it is funny. Apple said it couldnt be hacked, forgetabout IT. People gots the 411 on it and soon will be open to everyone...Maybe not CDMA...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #256
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
What is does better:

-music and video(obviously)
-telephone (imo it's far superior to bb)
-web (with wifi it is really breakthrough- w/ edge I'd argue inferior to bb because you can't turn off graphics so it's a turtle)
-size, shape, build-quality (far superior imo)
-battery (far superior imo)
-exclusivity (not a big factor for me, but worth noting)

What is does worse:

-push email (no ms exchange, YET)
-keyboard (majority probably dislikes, I'm growing fond of it quickly)
Most of the positives are preference and not business related which is what makes this device attractive to non business types...

music, video - not business related but sure its better then BB in that sense

telephone - I have no complaints about the BB phone so its preference since it does not do anything special a BB phone can't do.. in fact i heard the iPhone speaker is not loud at all and some read some complaints about it

size, shape - again preference, i wouldn't say it is better then a BB and compared to an 8300 the 8300 is far more attractive to me!!!

web - with wifi its going to always be faster then any BB but the new 8300 TM version is coming out with wifi so puts an end to that although the interface is better on the iPhone...keep in mind when Wifi is not around its on the same EDGE network as BB.. and i don't spend my time at coffee shops to get the wifi benefit and if im at home i use my desktop

battery - well i have not tested the iPhone long enough to see which lasts longer but i have not had any battery issues with my bb so you may be right if it does last longer then a bb.. i wouldn't know

exclusivity - what are we in high school.. i dint see how this is exclusive when over 500,000 were sold the first weekend not to mention everyone and their mom has one.. plus how does it make it any better then a BB

its what it doesn't do that makes it inferior to the BB as a business tool with the lack of a full keypad and ability to sync with Exchange -push email/calendar/addr book , etc
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #257
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Most of the positives are preference and not business related which is what makes this device attractive to non business types...

music, video - not business related but sure its better then BB in that sense

telephone - I have no complaints about the BB phone so its preference since it does not do anything special a BB phone can't do.. in fact i heard the iPhone speaker is not loud at all and some read some complaints about it

size, shape - again preference, i wouldn't say it is better then a BB and compared to an 8300 the 8300 is far more attractive to me!!!

web - with wifi its going to always be faster then any BB but the new 8300 TM version is coming out with wifi so puts an end to that although the interface is better on the iPhone...keep in mind when Wifi is not around its on the same EDGE network as BB.. and i don't spend my time at coffee shops to get the wifi benefit and if im at home i use my desktop

battery - well i have not tested the iPhone long enough to see which lasts longer but i have not had any battery issues with my bb so you may be right if it does last longer then a bb.. i wouldn't know

exclusivity - what are we in high school.. i dint see how this is exclusive when over 500,000 were sold the first weekend not to mention everyone and their mom has one.. plus how does it make it any better then a BB

its what it doesn't do that makes it inferior to the BB as a business tool with the lack of a full keypad and ability to sync with Exchange -push email/calendar/addr book , etc
rephrase exclusivity to 'cachet'. Like it or not the phone has it but again not a factor for me.

If the 8300 on t-mobile has real wifi like the iP I'd be shocked and impressed.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #258
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
iPhone is being hacked so bad right now it is funny. Apple said it couldnt be hacked, forgetabout IT. People gots the 411 on it and soon will be open to everyone...Maybe not CDMA...

-Any Apple source for that "It cant be hacked"? I'm betting no because thats like daring people to do it. Apple as well as every tech person in the world knows that everything can be hacked given someone really wants to hack it. Takes time and knowledge.

-By all reports they are getting into the phone but everything they have hacked so far has very little to do with opening up the phone. So far all they have done is allow it to be used as an ipod without being activated as a phone. They hit a rather substantial wall when they got the root password, they have nothing to use it on.
iPhone Root Password Cracked - Hackint0sh

I'm sure it will be hacked but thats not always a bad thing for apple, look at all the hacks on their appletv and they haven't done anything to stop it.

But more power to the hackers if they do get it open because then its just more iphones being sold and the only company losing out would be at&t and we know they their not broke.

-Battery life will not touch the 8800, iphone testing i think is coming in at 4 hours talk time which is not going to compare to my 8800 but what can you expect with the bigger screen and touch interface.

Last edited by test54; 07-05-2007 at 02:29 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #259
benisntfunny
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 23FDBBE4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
-Battery life will not touch the 8800, iphone testing i think is coming in at 4 hours talk time which is not going to compare to my 8800 but what can you expect with the bigger screen and touch interface.
This is true by all means. My iPhone battery left much to be desired over the three days I had it. I ended up charging it all three days. I used my blackberry MORE than the iPhone in the first three days and it never died or even warned me about low battery. I charged it over night each time but not because I was forced too as I was with the iPhone.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #260
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benisntfunny View Post
This is true by all means. My iPhone battery left much to be desired over the three days I had it. I ended up charging it all three days. I used my blackberry MORE than the iPhone in the first three days and it never died or even warned me about low battery. I charged it over night each time but not because I was forced too as I was with the iPhone.
have you had the wifi radio on 24/7, curious to see how much battery that uses.