BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
rcompart

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Lightbulb 7520 in 8700r housing?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone think it would be possible to puta 7520 or 7510 in a 8700r housing? I know the top three buttons (send, end, conv. key) wouldn't work but if you could get it to fit in the case that would be the first battle won. Any ideas or a 8700 dummy phone to tear into and make a tutorial would be awesome. I'd pay for the 8700r housing. Not to keen on a cingular one but i won't be picky when it comes to something like this.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Design wise their not even close in form factor... How would be my question?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompart
Does anyone think it would be possible to puta 7520 or 7510 in a 8700r housing? I know the top three buttons (send, end, conv. key) wouldn't work but if you could get it to fit in the case that would be the first battle won. Any ideas or a 8700 dummy phone to tear into and make a tutorial would be awesome. I'd pay for the 8700r housing. Not to keen on a cingular one but i won't be picky when it comes to something like this.
I would much rather have the guts of the 8700 moved into the 7520 housing including the nice color screen. This way the 7520 would have the speed and screen but not the dust!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I guess anything's possible.

I don't know how you would shave down the width sufficiently though. Not only is the 8700 narrower but its sides are slightly concave meaning that there's a significant difference in the widths of the internals (and odds are that RIM didn't leave any "unnecessary bits" to cut off). I haven't taken apart my 8700 but I bet there are also other significant differences between the internals. The batteries alone are quite different in shape and size...

I'd agree with greggebhardt that it seems preferable to me to perform the reverse since the older housing seem more durable and less leaky.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Design wise their not even close in form factor... How would be my question?
Actually "why" wou ld be better.....
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
rcompart

Because I want something different. I've had my 7520 since literally the day before they were released adn now everyone and their kid has one. I like to stand out and be unique but I need nextel and I need my BB or else I'd just go out and shell the $500 for a real 8700. and the dust thing, Seal the case and that prob is bye bye. and no i'm talking about using a gasket kit not silicone.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
AlbertoM

Default Well then, how about this instead?

Well, at first glance I thought that is a really frivolous reason - and on second thought I think it is as valid reason as any. Since you apparently want to stand out and be unique that is really not the best way of doing it. the uninitiated will see it as a 8700r and not care, and the cognocenti simply won't care. OK, then there are better and easier options.

My suggestion is to take your device and paint it oh so carefully to what you want. Could be woodgrain, verdigris, floral pattern, spray it with fur, carefully cover with cloth (light denim or silk, or even leather) or whatever floats your boat. That would stand out. To do a really good job, of course, you just can't cover what you do not want painted, but you would have to totally dissasemble the device, prime, sand if needed, reprime and then several coats of what you want, with perhaps a clear protective coat. There was someone out there that painted MPx200's and MPx220's that looked great. Perhaps someone here can direct where similar devices can be found.

Good luck. And post pictures if you go this way.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #8
rcompart

Not true, If i have a quote unquote 8700 with nextel then that would be pretty frickin unique as there would be NO ONE, not a soul out there with one like me. I have a bunch if little suckups that just buy things because I have them. I want somethign they can't copy. I've already sprayed my BB and yes they did the same thing although mine def looked better than the one dudes the other took his to a body shop and had them do it so i can't touch that. Enzo Red. Gotta give teh guy props for the color but that is it. I just live in a society of self-indulging wieners. So back to where I was before, Anyone know where or how I can get a complete housing for one of these?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Not true, If i have a quote unquote 8700 with nextel then that would be pretty frickin unique as there would be NO ONE, not a soul out there with one like me. I have a bunch if little suckups that just buy things because I have them. I want somethign they can't copy. I've already sprayed my BB and yes they did the same thing although mine def looked better than the one dudes the other took his to a body shop and had them do it so i can't touch that. Enzo Red. Gotta give teh guy props for the color but that is it. I just live in a society of self-indulging wieners. So back to where I was before, Anyone know where or how I can get a complete housing for one of these?

Pics! Pics! Pics! (demanding by banging my fists on the keyboard)

Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
justelise
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700c

I don't see how this would work. Aren't the screen dimensions significantly different also?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

This is the dumbest thread I have seen yet...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 12-24-2005, 01:07 AM   #12
AlbertoM

Hey, I know. But I wanted to see where he was going with this....
Old 12-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Do you work with adults?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
rcompart

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Do you work with adults?
NO I work with a bunch of little kids who have a shit tone of their mommy adn daddy's money and so they it's all about one uppin' each other. No one could one up this. Nobody.
Closed Thread