Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT
I agree with everything Peznut said.
1. an app loader
2. Bluetooth support for sync
3. I'd love a bb equivilent of Fire - a multi channel chat and IM program - handles AIM, Yahoo, ICQ...

I'd also love a GPS program.
Hadn't thought of it until reading BuckyT's post, but I too would love a GPS program Sure would beat blowing several hundred more clams for a separate unit for my truck!

Thanks for posting!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #62
singlemanriot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhn
Carrier: Cingular

peznut, way to turn the thread around.

My prefs:
Aps Loader

Theme Generator
If you think about it, PC users should want this app to be Mac, since most of the graphics community is mac based, if themes could be created on macs we would all benefit. As a designer I am chomping at the bit to create my own theme.

The GPS thing would be fun.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #63
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemanriot
peznut, way to turn the thread around.

My prefs:
Aps Loader

Theme Generator
If you think about it, PC users should want this app to be Mac, since most of the graphics community is mac based, if themes could be created on macs we would all benefit. As a designer I am chomping at the bit to create my own theme.

The GPS thing would be fun.
True that. Most of the themes I've seen lack any sort of refinement. How about a theme out that doesn't look like some ill-rendered, sci-fi version of the BlackBerry.

Thankfully, the Cingular BlackBerry theme is simple and clean. Still, it could be better.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #64
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Agree with both tfaz1 & singlemanriot; my bias toward the Mac OS's GUI after all these years, and its ability to enable me to file my stuff using any logical (or illogical) method I want - whether using folders, lists, columns, etc. - has left me cold toward the basic 8700 themes. I really like the basic Cingular theme and its use of folders, which is why I posted a question about creating folders somewhere on this site, but it's apparently not possible without a theme-creator...

I like RIM's commitment to stability/security, which probably factors into its basic underpinning-customization - to prevent putzes like me from seriously jagging up my BB - but I gotta believe that building basic user-definable GUI choices into the BB OS rather than via a separate theme editor wouldn't threaten the stability/security of the free world Perhaps in a later OS...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #65
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey, Mac Users:
Please post here the types of Mac-native apps you'd like to see RIM/third-parties offer to help enhance your BB experience...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #66
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

oops - double post.

Last edited by Seattle18; 01-03-2006 at 10:25 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #67
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddboy71
I feel for you Mac users. I was one for nearly 20 years, starting in May of '84 when the original came out. I migrated to PC's about 3 years ago and am very happy. My father however is still a Mac person, and having to drive an hour and a half for him to load apps to his BB from my computer is a pain! He would love a app loader and a more user friendly contact sync. He's experienced some of the other problems with PM listed in these forums such as duplicate contacts. Just my 2 cents.....
Oh by the way, I used to always scream from the rooftops that Mac was better than PC's, but hate to admit I like PC's better now.....
Good luck Mac users!!!!!!! Hope RIM supports you soon.....
Three yrs isn't long enough to build up enough frustration for the PC. I was a PC user for 14 yrs, recently switched to a Mac, and am very glad for it. The difference for me is that I still have a PC laptop, but only by necessity. Trust me, give it time, you'll be back...

(PS - I went into my friend's office today, opened my iBook, turned it on and instantly got a message saying I was not near my Home wireless connection, and did I want to connect to the available non-password wireless connection in the office - with a single yes click I was on the net - try that with your PC. Macs just work, and work better, plain and simple.)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #68
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default PocketMac Woes

PocketMac 3.12 Users: Thought I had shed the sync issues I encountered using my Mac and 7290 but just discovered that Tasks still do not sync correctly. Specifically, issues still exist if creating tasks in iCal or the BB (particularly with an alarm) and then later syncing that task after updating it on either device. For me, existing tasks that initially synced correctly between the two fail to later sync to reflect any changes to the due date if there's an alarm (reminder) enabled. In one case, that task was duplicated in iCal after using PM to sync, although neither version reflected my changes! Thinking about it now, I had the same thing occur with a MemoPad (Stickie) entry...

Please post your experiences using PM here. As the only viable software interface between the BB and the Mac right now, Information Appliance Associates will not realize/fix its product's limitations unless we let them know it's widespread!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #69
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
PocketMac 3.12 Users: Thought I had shed the sync issues I encountered using my Mac and 7290 but just discovered that Tasks still do not sync correctly. Specifically, issues still exist if creating tasks in iCal or the BB (particularly with an alarm) and then later syncing that task after updating it on either device. For me, existing tasks that initially synced correctly between the two fail to later sync to reflect any changes to the due date if there's an alarm (reminder) enabled. In one case, that task was duplicated in iCal after using PM to sync, although neither version reflected my changes! Thinking about it now, I had the same thing occur with a MemoPad (Stickie) entry...

Please post your experiences using PM here. As the only viable software interface between the BB and the Mac right now, Information Appliance Associates will not realize/fix its product's limitations unless we let them know it's widespread!
Somehow I don't think this thread is the appropriate place for complaining about PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #70
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Somehow I don't think this thread is the appropriate place for complaining about PM.
HUH? This is a thread I started about ANY issues Mac users face using their BBs. It's entirely "appropriate." Your comment is particularly puzzling given your post in this thread on 12-24-2005, 03:27 PM...

Do you use PM primarily? What has your experience been? Problem free? Any alternatives you suggest that you find better?

Last edited by peznut; 01-06-2006 at 07:29 AM..
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #71
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
HUH? This is a thread I started about ANY issues Mac users face using their BBs. It's entirely "appropriate." Your comment is particularly puzzling given your post in this thread on 12-24-2005, 03:27 PM...

Do you use PM primarily? What has your experience been? Problem free? Any alternatives you suggest that you find better?
I don't use PM at all. I'm currently using my med center's BES to sync with their Domino server and I use Lotus Notes to view my calendar. Not ideal, but it works. I haven't had the need to connect to a computer, but if I did, I'd use my wife's computer.

That said, the reason I don't think that it's appropriate to talk about PM problems specifically in this thread is because it is sort of counter-productive.

In terms of alternatives, as I stated in my first post, I had been trying to use sync4j and I did meet with some success (I got my addressbook synced and set up an LDAP server to connect to my addresses). I was also able to subscribe to a calendar in iCal from scheduleworld.com. I've since stopped trying to get it working because I have that BES access and I don't need it anymore. We *do* need an alternative to PM. I've emailed mark/space a couple of times about BB support and they seem open to the idea of doing something. Email them. The more we bug them, the better.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #72
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got ya, torifile. And agree that the more Mac users bug PM and tell 'em what ain't working, the more likely they'll be to get off the dime and fix some of the basic issues with their product - some of which have persisted through their minor recent upgrades. That was the purpose of my post; to see if the task-sync quirk was more widespread or if it was just me. Wasn't my intent to just flame PM since that's pointless, but instead to "gather names" and ideally be able to someday tell 'em that XX or XXX users have encountered the same bug. My single e-mails haven't seemed to spur much response...

Anyway, I can't believe the lengths you've gone to just to sync data! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #73
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

peznut,

I was actually suggesting bugging mark/space (makers of the Missing Sync software for Palms and PPCs). Their Missing Sync for PPC version 2 is brilliant. It works very well, as does their Palm software. I have confidence that a BB solution they would put out would be great, too.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #74
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

MAN! Sorry for the brain fart, torifile...

I was a long-time Palm devotee until a few years ago when I jumped to BB, but because Palm's OSX-native Desktop Software handled all of my needs, I never explored third-party alternatives. Thus, I'm not familiar with how Missing Sync's Palm app exceeded the "OEM" version. I DO have their site bookmarked, however, and I'm gonna visit them and offer a new-product suggestion. I hope you will too, and anyone else seeking a Mac-desktop BB interface... Thanks!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #75
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Apparently we're not as forgotten anymore:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...&highlight=mac
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #76
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here's the text of the official RIM news release:
January 12, 2006
BlackBerry to Offer Mac Support
Macworld 2006 Conference & Expo, San Francisco, CA - Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) and Information Appliance Associates (IAA) today announced a licensing agreement whereby RIM will offer ‘PocketMac® for BlackBerry®’ to Mac users, free of charge. PocketMac for BlackBerry is a desktop application that enables Mac users to synchronize data between their BlackBerry devices and Macintosh applications including core OS X version 10.4 “Tiger” applications and Microsoft Entourage.

“The worldwide popularity of Mac OS X is driving the creation of many exciting new products and significant growth in the Apple development community,” said Ron Okamoto, Apple’s Vice President of Worldwide Developer Relations. “We're thrilled that IAA and RIM have collaborated to better support mobile Mac users with easy-to-use BlackBerry synchronization.”

“PocketMac for BlackBerry is easy to install and allows users to synchronize email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with popular Mac applications,” said Terence Goggin, CTO of Information Appliance Associates. “We are pleased to work with RIM to provide this robust solution to Apple’s mobile customers.”

“This licensing agreement will help expand the reach of BlackBerry to another important market segment,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. “There is significant interest in BlackBerry from Mac users and we look forward to delivering PocketMac for BlackBerry to customers around the world.”

RIM has licensed the complete version of PocketMac for BlackBerry from IAA and the companies plan ongoing product development collaboration. PocketMac for BlackBerry synchronizes the email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes of Microsoft Entourage, OS X's Address Book and iCal, Now Contact and Now Up-to-Date, DayLite, and Stickies, among other applications. This easy-to-access solution for Macintosh synchronization is expected to be available as a free download at www.blackberry.com beginning in February.

Further details of the licensing agreement were not disclosed.

Other than the fact that I paid for PM, I find this news very encouraging! (Thanks for posting the link to the actual news thread, aristobrat!) I find weird IAA Goggin's comment in the third paragraph that PM allows "email" synchronization with a Mac. Must be a hidden feature in my version of PM

I gotta believe that RIM wouldn't have formed this "partnership" with PM's creator if the former did not desire better support of the Mac-user market segment - hopefully meaning that RIM won't let PM languish as (I feel) IAA has. And, frankly, I wish Apple was more involved in this partnership - although it's intriguing that this was announced at MacWorld 2006 and an Apple bigshot provides a quote...

Any speculation by readers on what might prove the first significant enhancement to PM? My money's on uploading files, which I would consider a HUGE plus...

Regardless, I call again on Mac users with BBs to visit RIM's Website and submit suggestions on the PM enhancements they want to see!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:46 AM   #77
HashGordon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Airtel
Default Wow!

Now we need iTunes for BB!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #78
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

The current rumour is that Apple is working with Motorola to develop just such a thing (snidely referred to as the iPhone...) It's possible given Motorola's ROKR, but that won't help us BB users.

Still, five days later, my mind keeps speculating that the announcement of the RIM/IAA partnership at Macworld 2006 means better things for BB users of the Mac platform...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #79
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Default Heres a question

So I'm going to go from being a Treo user who has full functionality on his mac to a blackberry 8700c which won't have the issues my treo does BUT i'm restricted in what I can do. NOW here is the question, When it comes time to install updates can I just do the update from the PC I have hiding in a corner... I will be using my apple and PM as my primary.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #80
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Awesome news on next PM version!

Found this on BBHub's RSS this morning:

Application Loader planned Rev 2 of PocketMac for BlackBerry
Posted Jan 19th 2006 1:29AM by Russell Shaw

Dave Mabe, whose book BlackBerry Hacks is an impressive piece of work, posts on O'Reilly's Wireless Dev Center that the next version of PocketMac for BlackBerry to be released after February's initial edition will come with an Application Loader as well as email synchronization.

"The App Loader is huge-certain applications can't be installed over the air and you had to have a Windows machine to install them through Desktop Manager,: Dave writes. "This (email synchronization) feature has been requested countless times since the initial release of PocketMac."

Last edited by peznut; 01-19-2006 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Closed Thread