Originally Posted by bigwillokc
The post above is wrong, even if its from Cingular's site. You don't need a tethering plan if you have a data plan. Try this:
1.Install the BlackBerry desktop software.
2. Verify that you see the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager. Right click on “my computer” ; “properties” ; “Hardware” Tab; “Device Manager” and then scroll down to “modem”
3. Double click the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager and click on the advanced tab.
4. Place the following string in the extra initialization commands: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" - take care that your quotes look like normal quotes, not italicized quotes.
5. Create a dialup connection using this info:
User name =
(must be caps)
Password = CINGULAR1
(also must be caps)
Number to dial = *99***1#
6. Open up and make sure you have a USB connection established with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
7. Connect your dialup connection.
That's it. Works fine for me. Will only work for Cingular customers, obviously.
Hello - I found your posting to be extremely helpful, however, after I authenticate and connect, I am sending packets but not receiving any. Consequently, this does not allow me to get to the internet. I have followed your steps and it will dial, check username and password, authenticate and show I am connected with speeds at 115Kbps (default), but just can't get to the internet - Page cannot be displayed message. I have tried flushing dns, releasing IP etc.. any suggestions? Your information was the most helpful and accurate I have come across. Look forward to your reply!