BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Unhappy Freezing. Sluggish. Enough is enough.

Please Login to Remove!

I have been a loyal BlackBerry user and fan for 4 years... 8830 World Edition, then 8330 Curve, now the Tour. I have used them and sung their praises and recommended them to others. I have not jumped ship to iPhone b/c of the iPhone's lack of a keyboard and resultant inability to type on rapidly -- and also b/c of VZW's superior coverage and service as compared to AT&T.

But I haven't been happy with all the freezing up and sluggisness of my BB's. I have done all the memory maximizer hacks, deleted a lot of apps I don't use, and I've even refrained from installing apps that I wanted in order to "conserve" precious processing power/memory. (Won't even mention how some very important apps -- e.g. Audible -- doesn't even work right on BB.)

VZW Droid is coming out soon and is getting rave reviews. I am seriously considering bailing.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Caledan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I'm on AT&T and I too am getting tired of the Bold being slow. The network is very slow in Vermont since we still don't have 3G, though when they took over Unicel network they said it would be here soon. Most towns have 2 bar reception unless in the Hills then it's hit or miss, in the cities 3 /4 Bars & SLOW! Bring on the Droid & hope it's better.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Daughain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

As a linux user, I've been watching the dev of Android from the beginning. The Moto Droid looks good, but, I would say wait till Android 3.0. The interface and speed should be better. Also, there should be enough apps available so you wont lose anything with the changeover. Or, you might look into the XPphone when it is released.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

I think BlackBerry's days are numbered. Adapt or die.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wow.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIndian View Post
I think BlackBerry's days are numbered. Adapt or die.
hahahaha
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

RIM is not responding to its own deficiencies or to new market needs. iPhone is trouncing BB in the general consumer market, and picking up steam in the business market. If Apple came out with an iPhone with a slide out keyboard, that would hit BB right where it hurts, as many, many BB users would switch to iPhone (myself included). Apple has not done that.

Enter the Droid. Google Android + VZW + iPhone functionality + slide out keyboard = unbeatable combination.

Anyone at RIM listening?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Do you actually read what you write before hitting the Post button?

Quote:
If Apple came out with an iPhone with a slide out keyboard, that would hit BB right where it hurts, as many, many BB users would switch to iPhone (myself included).
So, when do you get your Droid?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

I'm sticking with the Tour for now, but watching the Droid closely.

Check this out:

Midnight Droid madness in Manhattan | Wireless - CNET News

My last post was before I read this snippet mind you
Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Remember This - all the pioneers are dead on the prairie. Every new device is not going to solve your problems. Especially a new device, new OS, from a manufacturer that is taking a huge risk (Motorola) as it tries to kick start their mobile phone business.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:

VZW Droid is coming out soon and is getting rave reviews. I am seriously considering bailing.

Thoughts?
how much money has moto and verizon invest into that one phone?

hence the "quote" good reviews.

considering moto is releasing 2 android phones and one from htc on verizon

the reviews are fixed since the most talked about phone is this "droid"

that's my thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I have been a loyal BlackBerry user and fan for 4 years... 8830 World Edition, then 8330 Curve, now the Tour.
If the 8830 was your first BlackBerry, then there's no way you have been using BlackBerry devices for 4 years as the 8830 was released in May of 2007.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Ok... 2.5 years. Had a Moto Q before that -- certified piece of junk that was.

My point by posting this isn't to stir things up. I am just frustrated with my BB woes and venting -- wondering if anybody else feels this way... surely you all have the same problems -- sluggish performance, freezing, needing constant reboots and battery pulls, slowing down with apps, some apps not working right, need for tedious high-end hacks to simply work right -- how is it that y'all are ok with these problems - ???
Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Default Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Remember This - all the pioneers are dead on the prairie. Every new device is not going to solve your problems. Especially a new device, new OS, from a manufacturer that is taking a huge risk (Motorola) as it tries to kick start their mobile phone business.
Agreed -- the Motorola part of it is admittedly a bit of a gamble. But VZW is a proven entity. And Google -- well, Google is a force to be reckoned with -- unfrigginstoppable. Google has proven time and time again their ability to make ostensibly complex tasks mind-numbingly simple, easy, intuitive -- and more often that not -- free for the user.

Early reviews -- on discussion forums, not professional reviews which admittedly are circumspect -- on the Droid are overwhelmingly positive.

I'm not bailing on BB just yet, but I am keeping an open mind
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Another round of development on Android and I think I'll end up with some version of that. Whereas BB used to be a main platform for app releases, now iphone seems to be the one that rolls out. Android will be now that enough devices are coming to market.

For example my bank, USAA, has iphone an app where you can take a picture of a check to deposit it. They've offered at home scanning to deposit for a couple years and then rolled out the iphone app months ago. But no BB app. And CNBC, which you would expect to have a BB app, has an iphone app, but no BB app.

The BB core features are great, but phones are mini computers now and apps are what is going to differentiate them.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
blackbelt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Another round of development on Android and I think I'll end up with some version of that. Whereas BB used to be a main platform for app releases, now iphone seems to be the one that rolls out. Android will be now that enough devices are coming to market.

For example my bank, USAA, has iphone an app where you can take a picture of a check to deposit it. They've offered at home scanning to deposit for a couple years and then rolled out the iphone app months ago. But no BB app. And CNBC, which you would expect to have a BB app, has an iphone app, but no BB app.

The BB core features are great, but phones are mini computers now and apps are what is going to differentiate them.

your right apps will differentiate the phones. but mostly the OS that allows the apps to run smoothly. David Pogue on CNBC said they should start calling them App phones
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Ok... 2.5 years. Had a Moto Q before that -- certified piece of junk that was.

My point by posting this isn't to stir things up. I am just frustrated with my BB woes and venting -- wondering if anybody else feels this way... surely you all have the same problems -- sluggish performance, freezing, needing constant reboots and battery pulls, slowing down with apps, some apps not working right, need for tedious high-end hacks to simply work right -- how is it that y'all are ok with these problems - ???
I don't know about others, but I rarely have these problems -- some to be sure, but not all the time. Is it possible that there might be some user effect here?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Is it possible that there might be some user effect here?
I guess that's a possibility, but I consider myself a technophile and quite BB-savvy, so I kind of doubt it. Besides what I've noticed is that on these boards most of the mods and vets/experts are all in the tech industry. I and most others aren't. So if you have to be in that relatively small industry to get a BB to work properly, is it really a good, user-friendly device for most non-tech consumers? Well I think the iPhone's popularity has proven that it is not. And all that has prevented advanced-but-non-expert frustrated BB like myself from jumping ship has been the lack of a keyboard.

Oh and c'mon -- friggin Audible hasn't worked right on BB for 2 years -- ??? That's inexusable imho.

I think monkeypaw makes some solid points.

I think how Droid handles email -- the one, admittedly huge, strong point to the BB -- is going to be the decisive factor.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Is it possible that there might be some user effect here?
Oh yeah, do you have a Tour? My Tour always has these problems, and it takes like 10 minutes to reboot. And the popular and effective -- albeit time-consuming and tedious -- memory hack on these boards doesn't work for the Tour. (I have wasted plenty of time trying it.)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

What memory hack?
Closed Thread