BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
HomeRebate.ca

Model: Pearl
Default BlackBerry Pearl Quality Sucks - Full of Bugs

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry to make this conclusion. I had high expectation when I ordered it from Rogers 10 days ago. However, problems keep on coming.

1. Voice dialing works very poor from the beginning. No practical usage in real life

2. Voice dialing totally stopped working after updating some of my contacts. Removing blank names and special characters didn’t solve the problem. Re-install everything (application & data) didn’t work either. Had to remove hundreds of suspected contacts from my list to get rid of the issue.

3. BlackBerry frozen/crashed during an ordinary phone call (calling out from Pearl), didn't recover till at an hour later and showed Msg "Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_phone_app (47) is not responding. Process terminated." Help desk said “- It happens randomly to all BlackBerry once every 3~4 months, esp. if call long is too long (hundreds). Can remove the battery, wait for 20 seconds, and let it restart”

4. When receiving phone calls, can hear the ring & see display, but sometimes all keyboard including the trackball didn’t response to any key press. It happened twice already in less than 2 days.

5. Startup is very slow, more like a PC instead of a PDA

IMHO, RIM did a very poor quality control on the BlackBerry Pearl. I’ll have to return it.

This kind of unstable product will kill my business.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Perhaps try a OS upgrade if possible?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRebate.ca
Sorry to make this conclusion. I had high expectation when I ordered it from Rogers 10 days ago. However, problems keep on coming.

1. Voice dialing works very poor from the beginning. No practical usage in real life
I find it very useful. It's not 100% perfect but it still works for me. You have to make sure you say the entire name (first, last). You have to make sure you pronounce correctly and clearly. There are few bugs in it but it can be solved. Just do a search on voice dialing or voice command.

Quote:
2. Voice dialing totally stopped working after updating some of my contacts. Removing blank names and special characters didn’t solve the problem. Re-install everything (application & data) didn’t work either. Had to remove hundreds of suspected contacts from my list to get rid of the issue.
Check my answer on #1

Quote:
3. BlackBerry frozen/crashed during an ordinary phone call (calling out from Pearl), didn't recover till at an hour later and showed Msg "Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_phone_app (47) is not responding. Process terminated." Help desk said “- It happens randomly to all BlackBerry once every 3~4 months, esp. if call long is too long (hundreds). Can remove the battery, wait for 20 seconds, and let it restart”
You don't have to wait an hour, just remove the battery and put it back in. This never happen to me so my guess is you may have too many programs running in the background and you may want to update your OS.

Quote:
4. When receiving phone calls, can hear the ring & see display, but sometimes all keyboard including the trackball didn’t response to any key press. It happened twice already in less than 2 days.
Maybe defective keyboard. There have been some posts and complaints about the keyboard. You should just exchange the phone.

Quote:
That's one of my complaints but I still love the 8100.

Quote:
IMHO, RIM did a very poor quality control on the BlackBerry Pearl. I’ll have to return it.

Well, try the 8800 and 8300. I know the 8800 is out for Cingular and the 8300 will come out soon.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

May I suggest a Treo to make you appreciate your BB?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Hahahahaha!! Thats a good one CanuckBB!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

It either seems that Rogers sold you a lemon or you're being a bit hasty to judge the Pearl. Like one of the posters suggested.....an OS upgrade could fix your problems. You're on the right forum for problem solving of your blackberry, so just search for answers and if you don't find any....ask your question.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
BBR

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Default After Testing Treo700 - Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
May I suggest a Treo to make you appreciate your BB?
I tested Treo700 (windows version) for 2 weeks - that's why I have Pearl and now I'm happy! LOT's of problems with Treo...
Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Exchange it, sounds like a bad device! BB's are rock solid and you should NOT be having the problems that you are. I have had the 8100 for a few months now and have not have a single issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRebate.ca View Post

Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Perfect Storm

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRebate.ca View Post
BlackBerries aren't meant to be turned on and off. In fact, the only way I know of to truly turn one off is to pull the battery or let it die. The "power" button only puts it into standby mode.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
bbfreedom

Carrier: CELLULARONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
BlackBerries aren't meant to be turned on and off. In fact, the only way I know of to truly turn one off is to pull the battery or let it die. The "power" button only puts it into standby mode.
My 7130g powers off. I have it on the automatic setting at bed time and powers on in the morning.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
bbfreedom

Carrier: CELLULARONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR View Post
I tested Treo700 (windows version) for 2 weeks - that's why I have Pearl and now I'm happy! LOT's of problems with Treo...
Glad you posted that. I have the Treo 680 and absolutely love it. I opted for the Treo 700 but personally think windows mobile frezzes up to much, So I chose the Pearl. It's due to be delivered in a day or two. Can't wait!
Closed Thread