BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Jakebisen

Model: 7250
Default New BMW Bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

I just bought a new 3 series with the bluetooth built in but I was told that you can't use a blackberry phone with bluetooth with the car does anyone know of anyway to get around this? My service provider is verizon and I have the 7250 phone
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Probably not as BT enabled Blackberry's are limited to BT headset comminication for security reasons. Same issue with the BT in the new Acura and Audi series of vehicles
Old 06-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Probably not as BT enabled Blackberry's are limited to BT headset comminication for security reasons. Same issue with the BT in the new Acura and Audi series of vehicles
My 7290 works fine in my wifes's Acura TL. In one respect the Acura HF display is better then the phone's. Cingular masks off the roaming indicator on the BB display, but the display in the Acura shows roaming. Since it's Cingular, the only "roaming" I do is handoffs to AT&T tower sites but it's nice to see it.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Great news about the Acura bostonnerd, My bud is having a heck of a time with the BT and his Audi A6, phones no prob. Blackberry still a no go...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Great news about the Acura bostonnerd, My bud is having a heck of a time with the BT and his Audi A6, phones no prob. Blackberry still a no go...
Hmmm....I heard some of my coworkers whining about their Audis and the 7290 BT. I'll check it out on Monday and see if anyone has it working.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

The BB 7250 support both the headset and the handsfree profiles so it should pair up with the BMW's Bluetooth. What you won't be able to do is transfer phone numbers to the unit's memory. One of these days RIM will figure out that it must provide this ability to at least upload phonebook to a handsfree device. My Lexus has the same compatibility issue. The other problem is that the Bluetooth sound quality is less than great with BBs in general compared to other handsets. The 7100 is a perfect example with 3.8 sounding much better than 4.0. To load my phone numbers I had to go buy an inexpensive handset with Bluetooth and load my address book into it and then upload it to the Lexus. Then I can pair my BB and use it. Quite a pain in the A$$!

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
sparky12
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 3300AFF0
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
The BB 7250 support both the headset and the handsfree profiles so it should pair up with the BMW's Bluetooth. What you won't be able to do is transfer phone numbers to the unit's memory. One of these days RIM will figure out that it must provide this ability to at least upload phonebook to a handsfree device. My Lexus has the same compatibility issue. The other problem is that the Bluetooth sound quality is less than great with BBs in general compared to other handsets. The 7100 is a perfect example with 3.8 sounding much better than 4.0. To load my phone numbers I had to go buy an inexpensive handset with Bluetooth and load my address book into it and then upload it to the Lexus. Then I can pair my BB and use it. Quite a pain in the A$$!
I'm guessing the cheap phone you bought had the OBEX BT profile? Which phone did you use?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Xipper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile USA

I test drove a new 330i 2 weeks ago, and my 7100t linked right up without any hassle. I was able to place and recieve calls via the handsfree system. I wasn't able to get the phone book to pull up or most recent dialed calls, but I didn't have much time either.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
nextelmcgee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

I have an 06 infinity m45 and the bb7520. Mine works fine. I can even use my dc feature. No phone book but other wise all is well.

Nextel BB7100i
Pin: 400EA210
DC# 154*82*791
Old 06-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default 7290 with BMW 2004 3 Series?

I have a BMW 2004 (not 2005) 3 series (hand me down from my wife, don't ask). It does not have BlueTooth installed, but it can be installed as an option.

1. I don't know if there is any difference between that BlueTooth and the one in the new (presumably 2005) series. Does anyone know?

2. Per What Is - Supported Bluetooth features for Bluetooth-enabled handhelds the 7290 Bluetooth implementation supports the Headset and Hands Free Profiles. Therefore I *think* the 7290 would work with the BMW 3 series bluetooth. Xipper's info that his 7100t works seems to indicate the 7290 should work also because the aforementioned BB knowledge base article seems to indicate both phones have the same Bluetooth implementation. But has anyone got a 7290 to work with the BMW 3 series bluetooth?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #11
rsusanto

Model: 7290

Yes, I just got my Blackberry 7290 to work with my BMW 325 2006 series. In order to make it work, you need to upgrade your Blackberry Handheld OS to version 4.0. I upgraded mine an hour ago and now I can make and receive a call by using the built-in car steering wheel remote and microphone. The sound quality is really good. Connection quality is excellent. My BMW stereo is now showing the connection signal. I can also control the phone connection from my stereo. However, I still can't make my BMW to download the Blackberry address book. If any of you know how to do this, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Garrett

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default 7250 and 2006 Range Rover

I've had mixed results using BT in the new RR. While I am able to connect, when dialing from the touchscreen in the car, the audio always seems to be at the BB only. I can't regularly get the audio over the RR speakers. Anyone else have luck with this?

RR's response is something along the lines of "we don't recommend using BT in the vehicle"
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
kenjieamemiya

Default How to Pair with BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsusanto
Yes, I just got my Blackberry 7290 to work with my BMW 325 2006 series. In order to make it work, you need to upgrade your Blackberry Handheld OS to version 4.0. I upgraded mine an hour ago and now I can make and receive a call by using the built-in car steering wheel remote and microphone. The sound quality is really good. Connection quality is excellent. My BMW stereo is now showing the connection signal. I can also control the phone connection from my stereo. However, I still can't make my BMW to download the Blackberry address book. If any of you know how to do this, please let me know. Thanks.
How did you specifically get it to pair with the BMW? I have a 2005 530i and my buddy has a 2006 545 - we cannot get either to work. I get an unable to pair message on the BB (7290) using 0000. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
barjohn

If the BMW is like my Lexus, the code isn't 0000.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #15
kenjieamemiya

Question How Did you Pair with the BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipper
I test drove a new 330i 2 weeks ago, and my 7100t linked right up without any hassle. I was able to place and recieve calls via the handsfree system. I wasn't able to get the phone book to pull up or most recent dialed calls, but I didn't have much time either.
Could you specifically describe what you did to pair with the BMW? For instance did you use a different number than 0000?
Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #16
barjohn

You won't be able to get the phonebook or recent dialed calls as RIM doesn't support the OBX profile needed.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 08-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #17
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

How about a Cingular 7290 with 3.8 OS on a BMW 750Li? It doesnt seem to pick up the phone book but I will upgrade the OS before trying it tonight.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
kenjieamemiya

Hi - Still was hoping to hear what anyone with a BMW specifically did to successfully pair. What were the steps and what was the code?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
r1man1963
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

I have a 2004 330 CiC which I installed a BT module in place of the BMW Assist module. The pairing process will require you to get the BMW ULF unit in "Pairing Mode" and the phone in a mode to recognize the BT signal. Once the phone recognizes the BMW, it will ask for a 4 digit code which is a code tied to your ULF unit, should be a small card in your owners manual folder they gave you. I just tried to pair a BB7100t with my BMW and it worked right away but kept disconnecting on the phone display and saying something about "do you want to reconnect". The owners manual says that I need to change the setting on the BB to "automatic discovery" or something similar to that language. A BMW site I looked at said that the 7100 will pair up but will require "manual transmission of the phonebook", anyone knows how to do that or what it means ? I plan to get a BB7250 on Verizon soon and would love that to work, but, not sure if it will.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

On a BMW 750 LI using a Cingular 7290 with the latest module.

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2006 750Li. That is a great model vehicle, and we hope it is serving you well.

Unfortunately, Blackberry devices are not, and probably never will be, compatible with the BMW Bluetooth system in your vehicle. The BMW Bluetooth system uses the standard BT Hands-free Profile (HFP 1.0) with additional commands implemented on top of the BT standard to transfer phonebook data from the phone to the car. This enables the user to access their phonebook and dial from the vehicle's communication center.

BMW is working with phone suppliers and carriers to implement the additional commands, however, this support is not based on business agreements and, therefore, BMW has little leverage to influence phone suppliers to include it. Phones that do not support the additional commands may or may not pair or connect to the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this, phones that do not support the additional phonebook commands will not work as intended, may present significant issues, and are, therefore, listed as non-compatible phones.

For a list of the telephones currently tested and approved for full compatibility, please visit us at http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth. This website is updated whenever a new telephone handset is approved for usage.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Last edited by amukhey; 08-05-2005 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Left out one key information
Closed Thread