Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
jc01108
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Hosted BES permissions and 3rd Party Apps

Please Login to Remove!

Having a heck of time getting three 3rd party apps to run on my 8830 with hosted BES from Sherweb. I have VZNAV, Vlingo and Pandora. All require permissions to be changed and I can't change them on the device. The "allow" setting is unavailable. Running OS 4.5.138, the standard issue Verizon OS.

I contacted Sherweb tech support which has been good in the past, to help me with this, even sent them links from Verizon and Vlingo on the necessary BES settings and nothing has happened. It has been five days since I began this journey. Can't imagine what the issues are that are taking so long for them to modify settings as indicated in the links I sent them.

Try driving along and giving the "ok" to permissions to get Vznav to work. Hit the side button to activate Vlingo and the permissions screen pops up every time. A royal pain.

I think Rim needs to rethink what third party apps are about for BES users. They are so accustomed to locked down devices that the idea of giving the user some control over their device doesn't make sense to them.

Not sure what Sherweb's issues are in this, as they haven't let me know why they haven't made the permissions changes which are certainly documented well enough.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

So RIM should redo their permission model so you can have easier access to manage apps on your device?

I don't really get what you're looking for here, because everything appears to be running as it should.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
jc01108

"...Running as it should..." No, not really.

I have contracted with a hosting exchange service (Sherweb). They have put controls on the application permissions using the Rim default permissions. These are blocking my usage of three mainstream apps: Vlingo, VZNavigator (which I pay for monthly) and Pandora. All three app vendors have info on how to configure the BES permissions, so I can run them, but I am unable to change the permissions on the device.

Sherwb sent me an email saying they contacted Rim for advice. This was two days ago. This is also a new issue that cropped up with OS4.5. I did not have this problem with 4.2. I find it odd that the permissions for my device cannot be changed to permit 3rd party apps from running as they are designed to do. If this is a RIM issue and they want to compete in the iphone app business model, they will need to make it possible to run 3rd party apps easily.

I guess I don't understand why a hosted service where the users pay for the service can't dictate how the permissions should be set.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc01108 View Post
I guess I don't understand why a hosted service where the users pay for the service can't dictate how the permissions should be set.
Bingo.
This is not RIM's fault.
It's a combination problem between the application developer and your BES administrator.

Unfortunately for you, your BES administrator seems unwilling to alter settings allow for the application to function as intended. I'd cancel your service and look at another hosting provider who might be able to give you what you need.

Having RIM re-engineer their security model based solely on this type of scenario would be completely absurd.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

^ Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
jc01108

"...Having RIM re-engineer their security model based solely on this type of scenario would be completely absurd." Don't think I am suggesting this approach. If Verizon (the carrier) had to produce a three page PDF on the subject of setting permissions for VZNavigator directed at BES admins, this may mean that, in general, the BB is unfriendly to 3rd party apps. If RIM wants to mine the iphone market segment for $$, they will need to make their device more user friendly for these apps.

I thoroughly understand the need for security and easy administration, especially for devices owned, distributed and administered by a company. Having to help users with the many different 3rd party apps out there, would be a nightmare. On the other hand, RIM is marketing the heck out of their app store and loading up the device with memory to make 3rd party apps run better. Perhaps, they should work on the permission issue as well, keeping in mind the need for IT control.

In my case, , Sherweb, says they are working with RIM on the issue. Don't know what is being worked on, or if I am just being put off. Sherweb has been quite responsive in the past, so I tend to believe they are working on it. I just find it odd that it is such a difficult issue to solve.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Dude, don't forget, you're the one who decided to put your device on a BES!
A high percentage of the consumer market is NOT going to be in the same position as you.

You can take whatever stance you want on this issue but you need to understand that you've chosen a specialized setup for yourself that led to this scenario you're in right now.

Sherweb is blowing smoke up your behind. Dump them.
It's EASY to get VZnavigator working in a BES environment. I have dozens of users who utilize this software, myself included.
If your hosting provider takes more than a few minutes to resolve it for you, then they're idiots.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-20-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
jc01108

Head back from Sherweb TS.

They fixed most of the issues with the permissions. Most can now be modified. They recently upgraded to BES 5.0 and think that that the permission issues occurred during that upgrade or because of that upgrade. The timing of my problems and their upgrade are pretty close.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
jc01108

One more update: Sherweb has now made it so I can modify the permissions on the device. This is exactly what I was looking for. So I have BES service and the ability to add third party apps. It took a while, but it is now done!
Closed Thread