BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
ginajb

Model: None
Red face To Blackberry or not to Blackberry...HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a (very) small business owner and a loyal Verizon customer who has historically been weighed down by both a phone and a PDA. I tried the Treo 650 and hated it, mostly because of a lack of Bluetooth compatibility, no voice dialing capabilities despite downloading three third party software programs, and my subsequent inability to dial a number (even a speed dial) without nearly wrapping my car around a pole.

I'm honestly not sure what phone I need. I have what I think are simple needs but no one at Verizon has been any help. From the research I've done, I'm leaning toward the BB 7130e mostly because of the keypad but would love to get some expert feedback on any of Verizon's offerings. This forum is my last hope. I will describe my needs in descending order of importance and hopefully one of the experts out there will take pity on me and expend the energy to reply. Thank you in advance!

I recently started a modeling agency and I'm the only one in the office. I channel two different Yahoo Mail Plus accounts (one business, one personal) through Outlook. I have also started keeping my appointments and contacts in Outlook instead of my Palm which is on its last legs.

I do a ton of text messaging and love the 7130's keypad over all other PDA/smartphone options. I don't get what's so hard about it!

For my purposes, I need a phone that can check e-mail while I'm out of the office, preferably on a push basis to prevent me from becoming a compulsive e-mail checker. It's my understanding that the Motorola Q can be configured to check e-mail only as frequently as every 15 minutes. Also, I was told you have to go through several steps in order to read one e-mail message, then several more steps to delete it.

The phone also needs to sync with my Outlook calendar and contacts. I'd prefer some degree of voice dialing capabilities or at least the ability to configure a Bluetooth so it doesn't take ten minutes to make a phonecall. ("Call John Smith mobile. Did you say John Smith mobile? Yes. Calling..." AARGH!!!!) Even though the Treo 700w is listed as having voice dialing features, I'm sure it involves a third party download and none of the ones I tried on my 650 worked AT ALL.

Since it's a modeling agency, I need to store photos and PDF files in the phone so I can e-mail them when I'm out of the office. I'd love the ability to edit Office documents in the phone but I think I read in one of the threads that this functionality isn't available yet.

This is a little silly, but I do want to be able to download polyphonic ringtones for Caller Identification purposes.

The non-Windows based operating system of the Blackberry makes me nervous, as I have run into some hiccups trying to make my Palm sync with Outlook. I don't see myself using the tethered modem feature, though it is nice. And I'm not too concerned about losing the camera. I have a Casio Exilim which is the size of my Razr.

Again, I appreciate any help on this. My Razr hasn't been the same since the software update Verizon insisted I get and my Palm is acting a little like Linda Blair. Thanks for any replies!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

There is no device that does email better than Blackberry. From what you have described, the Blackberry will do as you want. I stay out of the office 80% of the day and never loose track of any email. Pick the Verizon models that suits your needs and preferences.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginajb
I'd prefer some degree of voice dialing capabilities or at least the ability to configure a Bluetooth so it doesn't take ten minutes to make a phonecall. ("Call John Smith mobile. Did you say John Smith mobile? Yes. Calling..." AARGH!!!!) Even though the Treo 700w is listed as having voice dialing features, I'm sure it involves a third party download and none of the ones I tried on my 650 worked AT ALL. You won't get this ability out of the box, but i think there is a third party app that you can use.

Since it's a modeling agency, I need to store photos and PDF files in the phone so I can e-mail them when I'm out of the office. I'd love the ability to edit Office documents in the phone but I think I read in one of the threads that this functionality isn't available yet. Both of Verizon newer BB's (8703e and 7130e) only have 64mb memory built-in, and no expanable memory slots. You will be limited to how many photos and PDF's you can store.

This is a little silly, but I do want to be able to download polyphonic ringtones for Caller Identification purposes.

The non-Windows based operating system of the Blackberry makes me nervous, as I have run into some hiccups trying to make my Palm sync with Outlook. I don't see myself using the tethered modem feature, though it is nice. And I'm not too concerned about losing the camera. I have a Casio Exilim which is the size of my Razr. I can sync with OutLook with no problems using the Desktop Manager.

Again, I appreciate any help on this. My Razr hasn't been the same since the software update Verizon insisted I get and my Palm is acting a little like Linda Blair. Thanks for any replies!

Please try a Search
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
muskienut
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Verizon

I am no expert, but given your needs, I do not think the Blackberry is your choice. I know alot about the Q - so fire away any qesutions. I was also a Treo 650 user and a 6700 user.....

For pictures, ringtones, etc....you will need a smartphone. I am also with Verizon. The Q is probably your choice.

A little about the Q - It is a better phone than a PDA. Versus the Treo's...The Treo's are built as PDA's, then as phones. GEt the exntedned batrtery for the Q and yes, you can have it sync with Outlook every minutes or every hours, etc....

I am personally debating on the Q or the Blackberry 8703. I just need to know if the 8703 will grab my Outlook Corporate email even though my company does not provide Blackberry support.

We all have different needs and different phones will better suite us. I have tested Blackberries and my friends that have them, they love them. They are good phones, but email machines! They are reliable!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
For my purposes, I need a phone that can check e-mail while I'm out of the office, preferably on a push basis to prevent me from becoming a compulsive e-mail checker.
Email is the killer feature on a Blackberry so no worries here.

Quote:
The phone also needs to sync with my Outlook calendar and contacts. I'd prefer some degree of voice dialing capabilities or at least the ability to configure a Bluetooth so it doesn't take ten minutes to make a phonecall.
Sync is no problem with Outlook. The Blackberry syncs really well with Outlook, actually. Voice activated dialing may be a problem as it's only available on the Pearl or you have to use your carrier's voice dialing service (if available).

Quote:
Since it's a modeling agency, I need to store photos and PDF files in the phone so I can e-mail them when I'm out of the office. I'd love the ability to edit Office documents in the phone but I think I read in one of the threads that this functionality isn't available yet.
These two points may be a problem as well. There's not much storage space on a Blackberry and none of them have memory card capability except for the Pearl. You'll need to do a bit more research on the Office documents support. It exists but I think it will cost more and do less than what you want.

Quote:
Not a problem either as the 8700 series Blackberries support MP3 (and one or two other formats) for ringtones. The catch is that you'll have to find what you want for a ringtone and it needs to be under the size limit.

Quote:
The non-Windows based operating system of the Blackberry makes me nervous, as I have run into some hiccups trying to make my Palm sync with Outlook.
As I said, the Blackberry syncs really well with Outlook. How well sync takes place has little to do with the OS's involved and more to do with how well the sync software works. ActiveSync (for Windows Mobile devices) isn't problem-free so the assumption that matching desktop and handheld OS's is the way to go is flawed...

Quote:
I do a ton of text messaging and love the 7130's keypad over all other PDA/smartphone options. I don't get what's so hard about it!
...and I don't get what's so hard about using a full qwerty Blackberry. Thankfully, RIM produces options that fit each of our needs. ;)

Last edited by takeshi; 01-17-2007 at 07:45 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

muskienut :
Stay with the other guys. The BB will never be good in your eyes.
Closed Thread