BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #21
celcius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

I did a complete fresh install of the OS from the firmware download on the RIM site, and still no BB browser.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
I did a complete fresh install of the OS from the firmware download on the RIM site, and still no BB browser.
do you use a 64k sim card?
i was going to do this but if you got the same results i guess i wont try it.
Also , in apploader, is the browser option checked but grayed out?
The reason i asked is that i think it could be a sim card restricted feature

Last edited by acoss; 11-27-2005 at 04:18 PM..
Old 11-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #23
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

I'm not seeing the BB browser either... I have the service book for it. Looking for the firmware... Cingular is still in the 7290 era.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 11-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #24
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I am using my original Cingular Orange SIM (32k). You can do a wipe from the security menu so you don't need the java tool to do it.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #25
Jack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default My conversation with cingular

I have the same issue - I moved from the 7100g to the 8700c, and I don't have the blackberry browser icon. I have tried a service book as well as installing the new updated software off the cingular website. So I spoke to cingular and blackberry/RIM at the same time, and I was told that cingular is not provisioning a blackberry browser for these devices unless you are using BES. The RIM tech. confirmed that the service book has this limitation and is identified as "provisioning" even though the service book also identifies two browsers.

Noone could explain the rationale for this, especially considering the 7100 has both browsers. But both the cingular rep. and the RIM rep. seemed insistent that I could not get the blackberry browser from cingular unless I was using BES. I find it hard to believe, but maybe this will be resolved once the device is in service for more than a few days.

Having said that, if you go to settings/keyboard, the convenience key can be adjusted to launch different programs, and both a "cingular browser" and a "browser" are listed separately. I'm not sure whether these are different, however or how to confirm if the convience key is launching the blackberry browser, but this may be a clue to this mystery.

I would very much like to enable full html browsing. As others probably noticed, if you try to go to yahoo or google, you get some strange mobile version. If anyone knows a work-around, please share it.

Thanks -

Jack.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #26
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300

I already assigned the left convenience key to the BlackBerry browser, but I still get the Cingular browser.

I'd have to look to make sure, but I think the 8700 is advertised as having a full html browser, and I don't think it said BES users only. So we get pretty fast EDGE speeds but we're stuck with a measly WAP browser? Is it Cingular that has their head up their ass or RIM? My guess is Cingular.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #27
barjohn

I don't have BES, I am using an Orange SIM card (but when I spoke with Cingular they still show me on the AT&T side) and I do have the browser.

The mMode browser opens with Bookmarks: as the title and then in a tree view has Links
Blackberry help
mMode
Home Page
BlackBerry Bookmarks

When the Blackberry browser is opened it opens to a Cingular WIreless home page with Cingular in a banner at the top followed by
HTML Internet Browser
Use this HTML Internet Browser to surf the web and access your favorite web sites from anywhere in the Cingular network.

To get started...

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #28
Jack

Default It's just not on my device

Sounds like your experience is a lot better than mine - everything I try just gets me to "cingular browser" and sends me to "media net" as a home page. The browsing experience is not bad, and it's quick. Some web pages are opening as html, I think, but I'm not even sure.

However, when I try to open yahoo or google I get mobile versions of the web pages.

I hope someone can figure this out.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #29
celcius
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have the new 64k SIM. The complete reinstall of the OS was relatively painless, but as I said before it did not give me the option of the BB browser.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #30
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
I have the new 64k SIM. The complete reinstall of the OS was relatively painless, but as I said before it did not give me the option of the BB browser.
complete reinstall here too....same results
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #31
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Have you guys checked your BIS settings

I read in another post somewhere and have this recollection of some setting there. Maybe it was in one of Mark R's guides. It was something to do with pushing the service book.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 11-27-2005 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Updated
Old 11-27-2005, 11:13 PM   #32
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

I'm a little pissed right now... Cingular again not on the game... Even the mobile.blackberry.com site isn't accessible from the 8700... my lowly Tmo 7290 isn't having this issue.

BarJohn I wonder what could be different on your setup? seems unlikely the SIM card would play a role - I'm using a fresh 64k SIM in this BB. This makes the 8700 utterly useless as a smartphone - Web browsing seems like a no brainer - But then again we are talking about the phone company.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 11-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #33
barjohn

I am at a loss for ideas. It must be either a bug or some setting in the device or account as some of us have the browser and some don't. None of the Rogers units are reporting this issue so it is specific to Cingular. If Cingular is trying to cripple the device, we need to apply pressure to have them reenable the browser.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #34
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I am at a loss for ideas. It must be either a bug or some setting in the device or account as some of us have the browser and some don't. None of the Rogers units are reporting this issue so it is specific to Cingular. If Cingular is trying to cripple the device, we need to apply pressure to have them reenable the browser.
True, anyway I'm used to this since my 7290 is experiencing the same issue while my brother's and father's 7290 have the bb browser. The only difference is that my father's uses an att sim and my brother's bb is part of a BES
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #35
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Found my reference point

From the thread here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3921

Now this doesn't solve how to set it as a default but I hope it helps people get the browser. I never found a way to set it as a default on my 7100. Which browser could be selected two ways:

1. Which one I launched from the app menu.
2. Which bookmark I chose and where it was filed - see Barjohn's list below.

I am not sure what controls clicking a link? Anyone?

My Web Browser Icon Is Missing!

This can happen if you've upgraded your BlackBerryOS, or if you delete your service books. This is the most common step to fix the problem via your BlackBerry:
Options Icon -> Host Routing Tables -> Register Now

Help! My Web Browser Still Didn't Show Up!

If the above instructions failed, try stepping through these instructions one by one
Try getting your service books retransmitted.
a. Login to your BlackBerry Web Client (BWC/BIS) site.
b. Click "Profiles" (At the top of your BWC webpage via your PC)
c. Click "Send Internet Browser Service Book"

Try rebooting your BlackBerry by removing and reinserting battery.

Make sure you are running BlackBerryOS 4.0 by checking:
Check Options -> About
If you are not running at least Version 4.0, you need to download and install BlackBerryOS 4.0 then repeating all the above instructions again.

If that does not work, and you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), try re-activating your BlackBerry on BES. This may be as simple as connecting your BlackBerry to your PC and synchronizing your BlackBerry while Outlook is in ONLINE mode.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:10 AM   #36
barjohn

One minor mod, for 8700 it must be the 8700 4.1 version and the desktop manager needs to be the new 4.1 version.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #37
Jack

Default My follow up Conversation with Cingular

the level 3 tech. confirmed that no BES= no Blackberry Browser. I think I will stick with my 7100G for now and return the 8700. Maybe the Verizon version with Evdo is the better choice.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #38
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
the level 3 tech. confirmed that no BES= no Blackberry Browser. I think I will stick with my 7100G for now and return the 8700. Maybe the Verizon version with Evdo is the better choice.
not entirely accurate, several BIS users have the blackberry browser, i think is more of a sim car issue.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #39
barjohn

I have a RIM high level tech support person looking into it. I know that it was not on my desktop until the unit registered itself with Cingular. The odds are very good that it is related to the settings on the Cingular account. You DO NOT NEED a BES to have it. I have it without one. However, it may be because I was formerly an AT&T customer and I still have the AT&T settings for my account. You need to get to the right technical support person at Cingular and insist that they enable the feature. I think it is tied into the same issue as using the device as a modem. If you have the data feature you get the browser (my guess).

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #40
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I have a RIM high level tech support person looking into it. I know that it was not on my desktop until the unit registered itself with Cingular. The odds are very good that it is related to the settings on the Cingular account. You DO NOT NEED a BES to have it. I have it without one. However, it may be because I was formerly an AT&T customer and I still have the AT&T settings for my account. You need to get to the right technical support person at Cingular and insist that they enable the feature. I think it is tied into the same issue as using the device as a modem. If you have the data feature you get the browser (my guess).
bajohn if you or rim's tech figure it out, please let us know, i don't want to call data support until i know what i have to ask them for.
Closed Thread