BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #141
yeria
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I followed the link for EastAsia OS and it's asking for my personal information. Do I have to give them the info?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #142
davustek

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Same problem as ATLSport w live messenger running after a battery pull, otherwise it's the best OS i've used for my Bold so far. After every restart it's now second nature for me to switch applications and close live messenger. Anyone else have this problem? A cure maybe? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #143
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeria View Post
I followed the link for EastAsia OS and it's asking for my personal information. Do I have to give them the info?
If you want to download the OS, yes. RIM gathers/verifies that information every time you download anything from them - a device OS, a desktop manager software or other software from RIM. It's just how they do business.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #144
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosh View Post
My carrier just launched the version I already have on my Bold.. Shall I replace it or there will be no changes? Is there any way, my carrier's release to include any additional applications or features?
No need to do so. Version .266 is version .266 whether beta, released by another carrier or released by your carrier. Any change to the OS would get you a different version number.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #145
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by upbeat View Post
i got an error message that it is not a valid win32 file when I double-clicked to open it. anything else I can do?
Try downloading the OS again. D/L corruption happens sometimes.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #146
brosenz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default If I install this OS version on my AT&T phone what I am going to loose ?

Please your comments and suggestions, thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #147
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenz View Post
Please your comments and suggestions, thanks
Nothing. All of the vendor specific stuff is via service books that get pushed out to your device... you lose nothing.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #148
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Default Signal Strength Issues with OS .266

I have been using 4.6.0.266 for about 3 weeks. One of the easiest upgrades. Used Desktop Manages in order to get reinialized on the BES without a hiccup.
I agree with others that battery like does seem better on this OS. However I think that extended battery life is coming at a cost of processor power and signal pulling strength.
Here in Toronto in weak signal areas, such as semi-underground on the subway, I am not getting signals where I used to. In the office where it has always been weak 3G, sometimes I loose signal entirely when on 3G only. That never happend before.
This weekend on the eastern shore of southern Lake Huron, where Rogers currently does not have 3G, the edge signal was weak and would occasionally drop down to GSM. My wife's Motorola cel phone constantly had a strong Edge signal. For years I have manually scanned on cell phones and blackberrys from this location to see what carriers I could pick up from across the lake from Michigan. I would typically get two or three US carriers. This time with my bold and OS .266, I did not get any US carriers from across the lake.
Is OS .266 stable and gets better battery life? - Yes, but at a cost of diminished performance in weak signal areas, in my opinion.
For 99% of my use the diminished performance in weak signal areas is not an issue, so I will probably not be downgrading. However when another "official" version is produced, I will be upgrading.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #149
bram79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Telkomsel

on your sms or messages application. when you press menu button and click on "view folder" i got 9 inbox items. Anybody getting the same number of inbox items ? Why is it 9 inbox items ? When i only have 5 email accounts on my bold device.

Please somebody explain to me. Thank you
Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #150
Bacchus15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Note3

anyone knows when a new East-Asia pack will be release ?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #151
yeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
I have been using 4.6.0.266 for about 3 weeks. One of the easiest upgrades. Used Desktop Manages in order to get reinialized on the BES without a hiccup.
I agree with others that battery like does seem better on this OS. However I think that extended battery life is coming at a cost of processor power and signal pulling strength.
Here in Toronto in weak signal areas, such as semi-underground on the subway, I am not getting signals where I used to. In the office where it has always been weak 3G, sometimes I loose signal entirely when on 3G only. That never happend before.
This weekend on the eastern shore of southern Lake Huron, where Rogers currently does not have 3G, the edge signal was weak and would occasionally drop down to GSM. My wife's Motorola cel phone constantly had a strong Edge signal. For years I have manually scanned on cell phones and blackberrys from this location to see what carriers I could pick up from across the lake from Michigan. I would typically get two or three US carriers. This time with my bold and OS .266, I did not get any US carriers from across the lake.
Is OS .266 stable and gets better battery life? - Yes, but at a cost of diminished performance in weak signal areas, in my opinion.
For 99% of my use the diminished performance in weak signal areas is not an issue, so I will probably not be downgrading. However when another "official" version is produced, I will be upgrading.
Really? My phone is working quite differently. It's been only a day so far but I've noticed my bold is staying on full 3G mode - 3G with BB sign - longer than ever. Before the OS update I was using 4.6.0.162 and almost every time I use my bold from my office it was on EDGE or even GPRS so often! Today it stayed on full 3G mode for the entire day, and went down to EDGE for a brief moment just once.

I am getting a bit suspicious though, because of its sudden improvement in ability to search for the network. I was even seeing 3 bars and 3G when I was in an elevator at my work place, where I get pretty much no signal!
I have a feeling people at RIM just decided to show 3G signals even when the phone isn't really working in 3G network...or showing more bars than it normally would...That's just my speculations though.. I will see if I can test more for the next few days, if anyone's interested.

Having said that, I definitely agree with this new OS' ability to better utilize battery consumption!
Since last night, I've only charged my bold for 30 minutes - I forgot to charge the phone over night and only was able to charge it briefly in the morning...how many times do you guys do this? - and I've used it quite extensively...listening to music, watching videos, sending emails and text messages and surfing more than a few web pages...as of right now, it's showing 45% of battery left....Is that impressive or what?!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #152
yeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus15 View Post
anyone knows when a new East-Asia pack will be release ?
It's already out. Check post #20 on the first page of this thread.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #153
bram79
Thumbs Must Hurt

with this OS:
on your sms or messages application. when you press menu button and click on "view folder" i got 9 inbox items. Anybody getting the same number of inbox items ? Why is it 9 inbox items ? When i only have 5 email accounts on my bold device.

Please somebody explain to me. Thank you
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #154
bram79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Found the Solution thanks to Midnight Draven from another thread:

Plug your BB into the pc. open desktop manager.
go to backup/restore, then advanced.
locate in the right hand box "folders"
click so higlighted, click clear at the bottom.

This will delete all 9 of your inboxes.
you can if you wish to have them back, go to BIS site and send service books.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Midnight Draven

"Hey, was he talking about what I think he was talking about?"
"If you mean time-traveling bunnies, then yes."
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #155
amico_pl

Model: 9800
Carrier: Plus GSM
Default much longer boot up time, over 5 min

I'm surprised but .266 loads so much slower vs. .247
I have the same applications installed.

Anyone having similar problem?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #156
bram79
Thumbs Must Hurt

my .266 loads faster
Old 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #157
ericksonj

Model: 8800

I like what I am seeing for the most part with this OS... better battery and MUCH better memory management than stock ATT OS ver.

This may be un-related, or a problem with my lack of ability on this stuff, but I used to be able to customize the alerts based on the different "Messages" sections (which I think correspond to the Service Books) in the profile. I like to have all of my emails quiet except for the att.blackberry.net email, which I use as my "Pager" address. Right now, if I change the att.blackberry.net notifier it changes the [Desktop] notifier, and consequently everything works the same.

Anyone else seeing wonky stuff on the notifiers (or know what I am doing wrong?)
Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #158
progreen82

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Works well - using for 3 weeks now, no issues. I am on the perfect edge of the 3G network for Atlanta, where it goes to EDGE off and on - and the 3G is holding most of the time now. Battery life is much improved. If the Wi-Fi and GPS are off, which I dont use much anyway, the battery will last all day, and that is with almost constant calls being made - the battery is almost 8 months old so a newer one, likely 1.5 work days. Good upgrade -
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #159
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've been using .266 for over two weeks now and the battery started getting hot when making calls. I'm also using the Plantronics Pro bluetooth and after 15 minutes on call that is when the battery starts over heating, battery is new anyone else having this problem?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #160
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

backup, wipe, reload OS, restore backup.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread