BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Jon K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post How fast should my web connection be? Optimize?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,

I want to use my 9530 Storm for web more and more, but I find the connection to be painfully slow. I have 1XEV with full signal strength but loading a page is s l o w. I know there are mobile versions of pages out there but I'd like to be able to go to the forums I use and such which don't have that. For instance, Bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum takes a long time.

How fast is it supposed to be? Guys at work have 8330's or whatever, the silver ones, and they seem ok.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your device is not a computer, and sites like bimmerforums are simply too big to be opened on mobile devices. Internet bandwidth has no bearing in this case.

Also, please update your profile to reflect your change in device. This helps us help you.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

John K,

the previous poster makes a great point. These are cellular phones and not computers. I keep telling my wifey the same thing. Having internet is a nice aspect of cellular phones but you aren't going to be online surfing from your cell phone in the same manner you will with a computer. If you need wireless internet access, get an air card and a laptop computer. Internet access on a cellular phone is painfully tedious and in IMO more of a novelty / last resort.

The wifey has an 8330 and her BB definitely surfs a bit faster than my Storm. However the 8330 has been around longer and there are more browser variants available such as Opera Mini. I warned her before she obtained the BB that her internet access would be limited and was more for checking on weather or getting brief news snippets. She soon made the same complaint as you after using the phone for a bit. We were at an outdoor event this weekend and attempted to get some movie times and purchase tickets from the phone. NOT! Well, we did at least manage to get the movie time after a painfully tedious process....

Verizon 9530
Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Jon K

I guess I am just used to my friends having iPhones with wireless built in and browsing internet like usual

#1 weakness of the storm
Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
I guess I am just used to my friends having iPhones with wireless built in and browsing internet like usual

#1 weakness of the storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your device is not a computer, and sites like bimmerforums are simply too big to be opened on mobile devices. Internet bandwidth has no bearing in this case.
Again, it's not the bandwidth of your connection (WiFi, UMTS, HSDPA, EVDO, etc.), it's the device.

The Storm (or any BlackBerry) and the iPhone simply cannot render a page as fast as a computer.

Last edited by dc/dc; 03-03-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Jon K,

sounds like you are suffering from iPhone envy. If you wanted a toy and iPhone style internet access, you evidently purchased the wrong phone.

However, I think you are incorrect. I have an iPod Touch which runs the same Safari browser as the iPhone. Both have the advantage of a bigger screen and smoother scrolling. However, you get basically the same internet experience. Additionally, I use both touch screen keyboards and there is absolutely no contest - the Storm Qwerty is much better.

Overall, as a flashy toy / gaming device, the iPhone is better developed and more functional than the Storm. From a business and touch screen keyboard stance, there is no arguing to the contrary - the Storm is FAR SUPERIOR. Verizon service also outperforms that of AT&T - Verizon coverage is quite remarkable.

This assessment is coming from someone who feels MAC is far superior to PC devices. I am Apple's biggest fan in this regard. But I wanted a business phone and quality cellular service. Neither need is meet by the iPhone. I also very much wanted an iPhone when they were first released and was warned to wait because the first generation phones had a myriad of issues. As compared to the iPhone, the Storm is further along developmentally than the iPhone in its first year. Ill stand behind that claim.

On the basis of your complaint alone, you should get yourself an iPhone. However, contrary to what you might suspect, your internet browsing experience from the iPhone will not be akin to that of the same from a regular computer.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Brandon9530storm

Carrier: verizon

fast enough
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Jon K

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Jon K,

sounds like you are suffering from iPhone envy. If you wanted a toy and iPhone style internet access, you evidently purchased the wrong phone.

However, I think you are incorrect. I have an iPod Touch which runs the same Safari browser as the iPhone. Both have the advantage of a bigger screen and smoother scrolling. However, you get basically the same internet experience. Additionally, I use both touch screen keyboards and there is absolutely no contest - the Storm Qwerty is much better.

Overall, as a flashy toy / gaming device, the iPhone is better developed and more functional than the Storm. From a business and touch screen keyboard stance, there is no arguing to the contrary - the Storm is FAR SUPERIOR. Verizon service also outperforms that of AT&T - Verizon coverage is quite remarkable.

This assessment is coming from someone who feels MAC is far superior to PC devices. I am Apple's biggest fan in this regard. But I wanted a business phone and quality cellular service. Neither need is meet by the iPhone. I also very much wanted an iPhone when they were first released and was warned to wait because the first generation phones had a myriad of issues. As compared to the iPhone, the Storm is further along developmentally than the iPhone in its first year. Ill stand behind that claim.

On the basis of your complaint alone, you should get yourself an iPhone. However, contrary to what you might suspect, your internet browsing experience from the iPhone will not be akin to that of the same from a regular computer.
Not the case. I am a Linux/PC user who is on a BES. I don't need funny toys or games, just email and messaging and a faster browser would be nice.

I just wish the phone had wireless.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Not the case. I am a Linux/PC user who is on a BES. I don't need funny toys or games, just email and messaging and a faster browser would be nice.

I just wish the phone had wireless.
Jon, having WiFi will not help. I promise.

Please read my posts above. You seem to be ignoring them, but they answer your question completely.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Jon K

So the hardware in the phone is slow?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
So the hardware in the phone is slow?
It's not slow (quite fast actually) for a mobile phone, but SIGNIFICANTLY slower than any modern computer.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Jon K

Does it work well teathered to a laptop?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Does it work well teathered to a laptop?
Yes, laptop tethering is excellent with 3G devices.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Robert_K

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post

Also, please update your profile to reflect your change in device. This helps us help you.
NOT TRUE.

Get Opera mini, I'm a long time member of Bimmerforums and I cruise Bimmerforums frequently using Opera on my Storm. Its a little different than the BB browser because it you only have to tap to click a link instead of press down on the screen but once you get the hang of it you will notice how Opera Mini absolutely FLYS surfing the net compared to the BB browser.

The BB browser is a dog when pulling server side scripted sights like forum message boards.. I hardly ever use the BB browser anymore because Opera is so much faster pulling any website.

Last edited by Robert_K; 03-04-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Robert K,

I like Opera Mini too however I was unable to download OTA from it.

Also, it nuts up on me on websites with pop-ups.

Do you ever encounter this issue?

Verizon 9530
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Robert K,

that was from my wife's 8330 that is.

I am unable to load it on my Storm. The OTA link directs me to a page that tells me my phone isn't recognized as compatible and offers me another version. When I try to download the other version I always get a gateway error message.

Do you have Opera Mini on a Storm?

Verizon 9530
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
bimmerd00d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

you're everywhere dude. every forum i'm on, I see you there :D bf.c is a big site, bug Kevlar about making a mobile version, I did Try loading Crackberry's mobile site, and then the full site. you'll find the full site takes a LOT longer. Have you updated to the newest version of BB OS? Browsing on the 9530 here at work is a lot quicker with the newest version.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Jacobsaby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Browsing for me with the bb browser is quite fast actually. I can stream youtube vids instantly, watch vcasts, news snippets etc, music. I do notice that when i'm playing music, my home screen scrolling lags A LOT. Not sure if a new OS version fixes that issue. Also I can't seem to take videos that are longer than 1 minute. It keeps telling me that the video cannot be viewed or saved because it is in a format that the bb cant recognize...even though i took it with the bb.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Robert_K

Model: 8830

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I have Opera on my Storm. It downloaded no problem.

I just went to mini.opera.com and clicked on the Download Opera Mini link. My wife and I both use it on our Storms. She's using OS .75 and I'm using .103 both without a hitch.

Even better is you can select "mobile" view in Opera to resize the webpage to your screen. The Opera mini browser is so much faster I use it most of the time when I am browsing. Once you get used to the controls it works awesome.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
Bulgaro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Am I The Exception ?

OK here goes my 2 cents and keep the change , After reading all the posts on this thread I sent the link the OP shared with us to my storm . I clicked the link (using BB browser) page loaded up in 6 seconds clicked on several internal links took about 12 to 15 seconds . My question to you all is , How fast do we expect Smart Phones to be? BTW 1XEV with four bars through out session . Good site lot's of good info for BMW owners .