Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default What's up with the fanboism?

Please Login to Remove!

As the release dates for the iPhone 2 and Bold inch closer, I've been bothered by all of the RIM & blackberry fanboism expressed on this site.

I use a blackberry, and I come to this site because I want to know how best to use my device and about the new devices in the pipeline. I really don't care about convincing people that blackberry is better than other devices. Obviously, the membership here is self-selected to consist almost entirely of blackberry users. So it's understandable that, when someone asks which type of device they should get, people here recommend the blackberry.

What I don't get is all of the spontaneous trashing of other devices, and the associated bloated love for the blackberry. The iPhone, for example, is a fabulous device. I think that Blackberry is better for my needs, but I also recognize that there's an assload of people for whom the iPhone is the better device. And, by the way, as much as people don't like to admit it, blackberry and iPhone share the same market space. Sure, on one extreme blackberry is geared toward enterprise users, and, on the other extreme, the iPhone is devoted to people who don't need work email. But, in the middle, there's a huge group of people for whom both phones would suffice.

Let's leave all of the fanboism to the apple fanbois. They've been doing it longer than we have, and they're much better at it. Let's all resolve to stick to constructive comments regarding both devices. You want to point out that the iPhone lacks support for A2DP? Great. You want to explain why mobile Safari kicks the blackberry's ass? Super. Soon we'll have tons of threads comparing the 3G battery life of the bold vs. the iphone. Have at it.

But let's try to keep the fanboi shtick to a minimum.

Mods: I think this is main forum worthy, but feel free to move to rants and raves.

Last edited by Spamdumpster; 06-11-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

Agreed!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Well said. Just because one likes their device more, doesn't mean that it's competitor isn't the reason it is good. Competition breeds better products. Fanboyism breeds worthless fodder.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Reasonable post , I agree to the extent that the name of this forum gives me the initial clue of why there might be just a slight tinge of impartiality here.

But while you notice the extremism, another user just yesterday commented that he had never seen a such balance as on this site.

So I guess one's persepective comes into play, we're human and all different.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Amazing post. fair and impartial judgment for everyone depending on their needs not which ever company we may be more attached to. And yes i am one of those boarded line people, i change my mind every time i see the other device so i think i will leave it to price.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
I've been bothered by all of the RIM & blackberry fanboism expressed on this site.
It happens on any forum site specific to a particular product. Welcome to the intertubes and prepare to be endlessly bothered if the fanboy-ism here bothers you as it's not even the worst of the worst.

Most people have a hard time seeing past their own noses. If it doesn't meet their needs/wants it must be crap. And let's not forget how rampant brand loyalty is in our society. There's really very little to "get" about it.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-12-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Good post, but with all the variations in views here, this one falls in the pool with mine and all the others. But I like what your saying.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
It happens on any forum site specific to a particular product. Welcome to the intertubes and prepare to be endlessly bothered if the fanboy-ism here bothers you as it's not even the worst of the worst.

Most people have a hard time seeing past their own noses. If it doesn't meet their needs/wants it must be crap. And let's not forget how rampant brand loyalty is in our society. There's really very little to "get" about it.
Just because it happens on most sites, doesn't make it ok. All of the members here should strive to make this better than most internet forums.

I expect better from this forum because it is a blackberry forum, and blackberrys are designed for professionals. I'm a mac owner and I spend time on macrumors and other forums. I see the fanboism there and it bothers me. But I expect that from mac users more than from blackberry users.

With regards your comment about brand loyalty: Most people trash other brands because of their insecurity regarding a choice that they made. People here trash the iPhone to make themselves feel better that they chose blackberry (or are required by work to use a blackberry). I don't need to put down the iPhone to feel better about using a blackberry.

One disclaimer: Now that I think about it, fanboism is fine for people who make their living from blackberry and blackberry-related products and services. Everyone else should grow up, take the high road, and recognize that the iPhone is a great device just like my 8820 and the Bold are great devices.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (via telepathy)

Great post.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 06-12-2008 at 04:13 PM..
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
jlink38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Good post. The worst is the Mac/Windows fanboism, or even worse yet, the XP/Vista fanboism (would that be a civil war? lol)
Closed Thread