Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #41
theduskes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 22b385ea
Carrier: Telus
Unhappy updated my 8830 and now my connection is FUBAR

Please Login to Remove!

I updated the 8830 firmware from telus....
Ever since (yesterday) I have been losing the 1XEV constantly!!!
I am very perturbed..can someone help me?
PS..The only way to get the networking back is to remove the battery...
Sucks to be me right now...:(

Last edited by theduskes; 11-07-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #42
graffixx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)
That is the current vz version
Thanks. So this release is different, from Telus, and should be compatible with my 8830 from VZW?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #43
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixx View Post
Thanks. So this release is different, from Telus, and should be compatible with my 8830 from VZW?
i honestly dont know what they fixed/broke this patch time, most of the time, the patches fix some running bugs, might make a new one.

you can install this, if i remeber you have to delete the vendor.xlm file for it to update, the code itself knows what phone/carrier/what to install tho.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #44
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Anyone got the Release Notes from the Telus 4.2.2.176?
I'd like to compare it to the Release Notes from the upcoming VZW 4.2.2.176.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #45
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The carriers rarely publish the release notes. However, if they do/did you'd find those versions are identical.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #46
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Yup, didn't expect the carrier to neccessary publish the release notes, but was hoping an individual would have managed to get a hold of the notes, like was done with VZW's 4.2.2.148 release notes here -
Issues Resolved:
xxx8226;Call Collision - During voice call, user receives incoming call (call waiting). User ends first call and answers 2nd call. User then ends 2nd call. Tries to make outgoing call and can't because device thinks it is still on a call xxx8226;GSM to CDMA Reconnect - While in GSM mode, if device or radio was powered down with no coverage or left on during flight back to US, device would not reestablish data connectivity in CDMA coverage until battery was removed and reinserted.
xxx8226;GSM System Determination - Multiple issues resolved with acquiring network connectivity while in GSM.
xxx8226;Calendar Sync - Three issues resolved with this firmware update.
xxx8226;CDMA Radio Fixes - Corrected SIP fallback issue experienced in some markets resulting in Error 348 on the handheld device.
Enhancements:
xxx8226;Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks. Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
xxx8226;Stereo Bluetooth - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets.
xxx8226;Keypad Backlighting - Keypad backlighting will now engage in low-to-medium lighting conditions improving usability.
xxx8226;Ringer Volume - A 6dB boost to audio notifications while the device is holstered.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #47
mzman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Overseas

Can I expect my Verizon 8830 to work overseas with this new Telus OS? I have a (Verizon) supplied SIM card. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #48
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, it will still work overseas.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #49
Firefishe2

Default 8830 gps yada yada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
i honestly dont know what they fixed/broke this patch time, most of the time, the patches fix some running bugs, might make a new one.

you can install this, if i remeber you have to delete the vendor.xlm file for it to update, the code itself knows what phone/carrier/what to install tho.
Is there any way to trick the verizon 8830 into thinking that it's a telus? Or to get a telus hardware flash for the verizon? I am fed up and want to get my vzw 8830's gps working.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #50
Spencer_CDS

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefishe2 View Post
Is there any way to trick the verizon 8830 into thinking that it's a telus? Or to get a telus hardware flash for the verizon? I am fed up and want to get my vzw 8830's gps working.
Unfortunately, no. That wouldn't be applicable, to my knowledge.

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #51
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
It's done in low level mode on the phone. There's a way to get the phone into that mode to make changes like carrier ID and other stuff. Unfortunatly it's a closely guarded secret by RIM. It may even take something like a special service battery to get it in that mode. I've seen this before on other electronics.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #52
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

I downloaded Telus .176 update, removed vendor.xml, and installed on computer, but was not prompted for upgrade when launching BB manager. Hmmm...
Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #53
mzman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Memory

Is anyone experiencing faster memory usage with this version of software? I am on a Verizon 8830. I seem to be losing about 1MB per hour, doing nothing but sending and receiving a few e-mails.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #54
Firefishe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
It's done in low level mode on the phone. There's a way to get the phone into that mode to make changes like carrier ID and other stuff. Unfortunatly it's a closely guarded secret by RIM. It may even take something like a special service battery to get it in that mode. I've seen this before on other electronics.
Hey, Civic, thanks for replying .

The funny thing is, some versions of Google Maps, MapQuest Navigator, AmAze GPS, MGMaps/Navizon, all recognize that the hardware is there; those programs just can't get the gps data stream.

They recognize it, of course, when GPS is set to "Location On" in the Options>Advanced Options>GPS dialog--and do not recognize it when it is set to "911 Only."

My question is "How low do you have to go?". It sounds, to me that the JSR-179 API is being partially blocked.

Ergo: if this the case, what part of that API needs to be patched? Why can't we write our own patch for that matter?

--Firefishe
Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #55
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Hey, Civic, thanks for replying .

The funny thing is, some versions of Google Maps, MapQuest Navigator, AmAze GPS, MGMaps/Navizon, all recognize that the hardware is there; those programs just can't get the gps data stream.

They recognize it, of course, when GPS is set to "Location On" in the Options>Advanced Options>GPS dialog--and do not recognize it when it is set to "911 Only."

My question is "How low do you have to go?". It sounds, to me that the JSR-179 API is being partially blocked.

Ergo: if this the case, what part of that API needs to be patched? Why can't we write our own patch for that matter?

--Firefishe

There's a section of the JSR-179 API that requires the application to set the right PDI IP address and port to link up. I think this may be what's being blocked. Honestly, I can't be sure at the current moment (now that more info has become apperent) if the lockout really is on the phone via vendor ID and phone model checks (as I initially thought) or if it's a linkup on the network that's being blocked by VZW themselves. I still belive it's in the hardware/software, but after seeing some error log lines when apps try to hit the internal GPS I'm starting to semi-doubt the initial findings. What we need is someone with a VZW 8830 to go and activate it on Sprint (since they allow that now) and see if autonomous GPS starts working. If it does, then we know it's network/service specific. I really doubt it though.

As for writing our own code, the lockouts were first believed to be in the firmware file via vendor ID checks. Because of this and because of the ARM security the device has onboard it's not possible to write your own code unless you could sign it like RIM does... which just ain't going to happen.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #56
wabbit

you can connect a vz phone on sprint now?
i'll make a temp acct to see :O

edit: i'll try this soon as i figure out how to unbrick my phone ><

Last edited by wabbit; 11-12-2007 at 01:47 AM..
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #57
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Sprint just settled a lawsuit that was brought against them because users couldn't unlock the phones they buy from Sprint so they can go on another network. Rumor had it that because of this Sprint was going to let its customers bring CDMA phones to them and let them on the network with them if they were unlocked. Verizon does not lock the phones with a specific code like Sprint does so this shouldn't require you to get anything from them to make it work.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #58
wabbit

Quote:
Sprint just settled a lawsuit that was brought against them because users couldn't unlock the phones they buy from Sprint so they can go on another network. Rumor had it that because of this Sprint was going to let its customers bring CDMA phones to them and let them on the network with them if they were unlocked. Verizon does not lock the phones with a specific code like Sprint does so this shouldn't require you to get anything from them to make it work.
bringing my vz phone to sprint, woudnt the internal carrier id still be vz, to my understading thats set on the phone, even unlocked phones gsm when you switch sim's they still splash screen the original carrier.

oh and after 3 hrs i was able to unbrick the phone.

this sfi in the release does some funny stuff, i had this sfi with a working .168 i think the 8820 java/os no sfi and the phone would not even turn the raido on, they remaped everything in the new sfi for the phone, also if i tried to push .148 after i had the 176 running it did not even see the phone with vendor and device xlm's deleted 10 wipes, some messing around i was able to load a 3.0.0.67 i think and back to the 8820's java so it dont memory leak in 2 days to zero ram.

now to get rid of vz nav, tho vz nav wont run with a .168 i think i gatta peek the phone os. the code for vz nav seems to be in the sfi on how to get gps.

and its a pain to get rid of the .176 dist sfi file =/
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #59
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Yes, the carrier will still stay the same, but if the lockout is network related changing carriers will allow it to work. Like I said, since we can't change the carrier ID on the phone easily to verify the lockout that way, a carrier change would be easier. If it still doesn't work then, then we know it truly is linked to carrier ID specific checks/code in the sfi file.

BTW, what do you mean by it was hard to get rid of the SFI? I've been able to backdate the SFI and OS on my phone to any release so far, but I always do it by only loading that specific OS on the phone (never more then one as that will mess with the upgrade/downgrade capabilities of Desktop Manager). Are you saying that once the new Telus OS got loaded they phone didn't want to downgrade to lower OSs/SFIs afterwards?

BTW, mixing SFIs and OS files will cause funky things to happen. This is because there's a version signature check done on all files by the ARM onboard the phone. When things don't match up it won't work. Sometimes you generate a Java error and sometimes things flat out funk out, depending on the combination you're running and what files you mixed and matched.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-12-2007 at 01:12 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #60
wabbit

Quote:
Yes, the carrier will still stay the same, but if the lockout is network related changing carriers will allow it to work. Like I said, since we can't change the carrier ID on the phone easily to verify the lockout that way, a carrier change would be easier. If it still doesn't work then, then we know it truly is linked to carrier ID specific checks/code in the sfi file.

BTW, what do you mean by it was hard to get rid of the SFI? I've been able to backdate the SFI and OS on my phone to any release so far, but I always do it by only loading that specific OS on the phone (never more then one as that will mess with the upgrade/downgrade capabilities of Desktop Manager). Are you saying that once the new Telus OS got loaded they phone didn't want to downgrade to lower OSs/SFIs afterwards?

BTW, mixing SFIs and OS files will cause funky things to happen. This is because there's a version signature check done on all files by the ARM onboard the phone. When things don't match up it won't work. Sometimes you generate a Java error and sometimes things flat out funk out, depending on the combination you're running and what files you mixed and matched.

this is what i did,

installed telus .176 for vz nav, it worked, the vz nav worked, but lets say the phone was not usable, 2 days 5 megs ram free, the os is actually about 5-8 megs bigger then prior etc. i was droping 1evdo to 1x, battery would die with just the 5 running apps, in under 5 hrs, and vz nav would get no gps source when running you have to reboot the bb, (alt shit del) would fix it.

so i decided, this isnt worth it, i found my original .148 vz firmware

so i backed up the bb, and wiped with JL_Cmder.

i ran the vz 148 exe, it asked to repair or remove, i selected remove, then i went to /program files/common files, the rim and other data was still their, and deleted it manualy. reran the 148 exe it installed, and started the loader.
the kicker was the loader didnt list anything, no newer version etc.

so this is the only version that for some reason is harder to downgrade then other, the .66 to 148 and vice versa is no problem

i tried to delete vendor / device xlm's didnt help

so what did do, again remove, but i copied the cdma / java folders out
i installed the telus again, deleted the java/cdma folders and moved the .148 into it, after all its just cods, etc, the bb should resolve that but it didnt, i got some fail code.

i did a buncha reboots thinking the pc, tried a diffrent pc, etc. finally i think i wiped the unit like 3-4 times in a row, and it took the 148 upload using the 176 loader.

just weird, after that, i redid the firmware again loading the java of the 8820 4.2.2.169 since this app version i can keep a good 1 1/2 months and only loose about 5 megs ram total if i were to pull the battery.

idk it just took 2 hrs to put, 3.0.0.67 platform and 4.2.2.148 app version on.

i do know from all this mess, i got it once to install, but it didnt reflash the platform so i was 3.0.0.76 i think is the telus, and radio off, turn radio on was giving errors.

it was something new i saw that i wasnt used too, normally if i wipe the unit, the loader sees that and pushes the cods/sfi in the directory, the .176 prevented this. like they dont want you to downgrade for some reason.
Closed Thread