Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #1
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default If you have a 8700 try out JiveSlide - Online Photo Viewing

Please Login to Remove!

Now I don’t want to get flamed here for possibly posting this in a section that is 8700 only discussion but I have a 8700r and I have loaded our newly released product JiveSlide on it and it really shows off just how good the display is. JiveSlide lets you access your shared “Public” photos on Yahoo Photo’s. The idea is that you never have to load pictures on and off your BlackBerry you just go get them from the Net.

Visit us at: www.jiveslide.com - Download your free copy and see for yourself.

We are looking for active BlackBerry users to give us some feedback on our product. The software and service is free and all that we ask is that you tell a friend and spread the word if you like it. If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me directly at – [email address].

So flame me if you will – but give it a whirl first and I think you will love it. When you start JiveSlide up there is a demo slide show called Expressions and you can get a great sense of just how awesome the 8700 display is. Everyone I show my 8700 to and sees photographs is blown away.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Ok - flame for advertising (you should check with the forum moderator before advertising on this site). But still, pretty cool application. Makes me nervous that there's no information on your site about how much this will cost when it's out of Beta.

But for now - very cool app!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Don’t be nervous!

Hi,

Ohhh I can understand that you would be nervous, but once we are out of BETA we will have a stable version. The plan here is to never sell it – just offer the service. I am the president of the company and my plan was take what we built – give it to the community – some of you in the community will want to do some custom BlackBerry development and you may think of using us as a development firm. I funded the development of JiveSlide because I thought it was super cool idea – I never have time to load pictures onto my BlackBerry and when I can view them, (Airports, Taxis, Meetings), I don’t have them! I have my name plastered all over my website with my personal phone number to make sure that there is a real name, and a real person behind this product. All I want is for people to use it and show their friends.

[ASIDE] I was just thinking – just to prove we are not lying, Mark Rejhon the “Super Moderator” has his offices about 1 mile from our office in Ottawa, Canada. He could come by – check us out and tell you that we are for real. It’s just a thought because you may not know me but everyone knows Mark!

Cheers,

Eric

PS – I know I should be flamed but really when you saw the pictures on your 8700 did it not make you go WOW? I love the display on these units and having something that looks like an actual photograph is just so totally cool – I am a guy – this is a guy thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
Ok - flame for advertising (you should check with the forum moderator before advertising on this site). But still, pretty cool application. Makes me nervous that there's no information on your site about how much this will cost when it's out of Beta.

But for now - very cool app!

Last edited by Edewhirst; 12-03-2005 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Added note at the bottom
Old 12-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
crs
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Doesn't work...could not open tunnel...
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Quick question.

Hi,

Just curious - are you able to browse the Web using the Web Browser that ships with the BlackBerry? We use only HTTP and the same settings as your browser so I just want to track down where we might be going wrong. Also you are using a Cingular 8700c correct?

Thanks,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsch
Doesn't work...could not open tunnel...
Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I received the same error message, "Fetch error: could not open tunnel"

I am on an 8700c, Cingular service with both Cingular Browser and Internet Browser installed and used sucessfully.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
crs

Yes I can browse the web and have both browsers as well. I'm the developer of PocketDay, so I am quite intimate with the communication nuances of the BlackBerry. On Cingular devices, you have to use the WAP settings for communications. I am NOT on a BES environment. I assume that your communications string has no information attached to it, which means you are trying to use the device default comm settings. This only works for BES environments and for users that have native tcp/ip access like NExtel and Verizon users. T-Mobile users may get this to work because they can setup a direct APN settings for the device.

I'm happy to help you get this working as it looks pretty cool. Are you a PocketDay user?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Not a PocketDay user and, to be honest, I just installed this out of curiosity. Really have no interest in tinkering with it to get it to work as I doubt I would use it after the first day. Thank you for your offer, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Thanks for the info

I am currently not a PocketDay user but went to your website and I think I will be! That is a totally cool app you have there and my Business Partner was talking about how it would be cool to have something just like what you have – nice! As for the communications part I think you are right – I would appreciate any info you have and we can make the modification to the app and update the release for all users.

Thanks for your offer to help and I will try out PocketDay later on today.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Yes I can browse the web and have both browsers as well. I'm the developer of PocketDay, so I am quite intimate with the communication nuances of the BlackBerry. On Cingular devices, you have to use the WAP settings for communications. I am NOT on a BES environment. I assume that your communications string has no information attached to it, which means you are trying to use the device default comm settings. This only works for BES environments and for users that have native tcp/ip access like NExtel and Verizon users. T-Mobile users may get this to work because they can setup a direct APN settings for the device.

I'm happy to help you get this working as it looks pretty cool. Are you a PocketDay user?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
crs

Eric,

From a development perspective, many GSM users require WAP settings. You can find how to do this in the BB APP Developers guides. Basically you have to add the wap settings to the end of your connection URL.

You'll need a screen to let users enter APN, Gateway IP address, Port, username and password.

Mark
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Looks like we need to tweak not you!

Hi jonlevine,

Thanks for your input – it looks like we need to add some further support for certain providers. I understand how you would not want to mess around with trying to get it working - we will do the messing around on our end and then post a new version that works without you having to do anything on your end.

I appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
Not a PocketDay user and, to be honest, I just installed this out of curiosity. Really have no interest in tinkering with it to get it to work as I doubt I would use it after the first day. Thank you for your offer, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Thanks for the info

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that info – we will be adding that to current version.

I downloaded PocketDay and have been running it – totally cool app – you did a wicked job on it.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Eric,

From a development perspective, many GSM users require WAP settings. You can find how to do this in the BB APP Developers guides. Basically you have to add the wap settings to the end of your connection URL.

You'll need a screen to let users enter APN, Gateway IP address, Port, username and password.

Mark
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #13
kjaslow

I had downloaded your app a while ago. All your demo images worked. Then, I connected to my sister-in-laws album...worked fine. So, then I decided that I'd like to have my Thanksgiving pictures available using this app, so I uploaded the album to Yahoo, and connected to the album using JiveSlide. Only then did I get the 'Fetch' error. Could the picture format have anything to do with my Fetch error?

If it matters, I'm on Cingular...
Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #14
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Can you try now?

Hi,

I had my sys admin look in the logs and we think we see what the problem is. Could you possibly give it another try on your end? We are pretty sure we have it fixed. The picture format was an issue on our end but we corrected the problem and now things should work for you.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
I had downloaded your app a while ago. All your demo images worked. Then, I connected to my sister-in-laws album...worked fine. So, then I decided that I'd like to have my Thanksgiving pictures available using this app, so I uploaded the album to Yahoo, and connected to the album using JiveSlide. Only then did I get the 'Fetch' error. Could the picture format have anything to do with my Fetch error?

If it matters, I'm on Cingular...
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 AM   #15
crawford
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

Cool application.

Does this service work for Rogers users who have photo albums hosted on Yahoo? I have a Yahoo account accessed through my [email address] address, but when I type that into Jiveslide, I get the following message: "Error: Invalid Yahoo username"
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 AM   #16
kjaslow

Looks like it's a problem for very large albums. I loaded an album with just 20 photos and it worked fine. But my album with 80 photos gave the 'Fetch' error after displaying the pictures....
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 AM   #17
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford
Cool application.

Does this service work for Rogers users who have photo albums hosted on Yahoo? I have a Yahoo account accessed through my [email address] address, but when I type that into Jiveslide, I get the following message: "Error: Invalid Yahoo username"
Try just putting in your Yahoo username instead. Worked for me.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 AM   #18
crawford

I don't understand... I'm not sure that I have a Yahoo username. I log on to rogers webmail and yahoo services using my rogers.com email address. Everything there appears to be hosted on Yahoo servers. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 AM   #19
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford
I don't understand... I'm not sure that I have a Yahoo username. I log on to rogers webmail and yahoo services using my rogers.com email address. Everything there appears to be hosted on Yahoo servers. Thanks.
What would be your ROGERS.COM email address? I am not aware of one of these.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 AM   #20
crawford

A while back, Rogers migrated all of their email accounts to Yahoo servers (along with their webspaces to Geocities and their news servers to Giganews, but that's another story).

So now Rogers users who want to access webmail go to the Yahoo mail login page and type [email address] as their Yahoo login.
Closed Thread