Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR
Default Buy through Amazon, unlock through GSMPS

Please Login to Remove!

For the sake of posterity and "giving something back" (god I feel like a big-time entertainer just using this phrase) I'm going to chronicle my Amazon experience.

My objectives (having read a number of posts on this forum, and having some serious gadgetlust for the 8700, but not wanting to wait for TMO to release the handset, and not wanting to pay the usurious rates Cingular is charging) are as follows:

1) Order the 8700c off of Amazon with a Cingular plan to get the $150 pricing (which is more than sufficient for my purposes as it beats the hell out of the unlocked price)

2) Kick Cingular to the curb within 3 days of activation to cancel my contract and avoid paying an activation fee

3) Avoid having to give the phone back to Amazon as the Cingular Ts & Cs suggest I might need to do if I get preferred pricing (the operative word being "MIGHT" -- I'm not going to be greedy about the $150 rebate that would make the phone free)

4) Find Adam at GSM Phone Source and get my shiznit unlocked

5) Swap my SIM, load up, and enjoy the dawn of a new day

The odyssey begins below...

==========================

This is probably a question for Adam from GSMPS. I've tried searching in the other threads but I haven't found anything really that covers this. Apologies therefore if it's a duplicate post, but I thought some people would be interested in this...

Based on some digging and info from another thread I've found the 8700c on Amazon for $149 if you get it with a Cingular plan (which I don't want).

Near as I can figure from the fine print , you have to activate the phone but then you can cancel, and according to one poster Amazon couldn't care less whether you keep the phone.

My next step would be to go to GSMPS and get the phone unlocked so I can pop my SIM card out of my 7100T and into my new 8700c.

I have a question:

I'm pretty sure I need to activate the phone as I think Cingular would just start billing me anyway and I'd want to get out of the contract.

Does activating the phone on the Cingular change anything in terms of the process GSMPhoneService would have to go through in order to unlock my device? I would have to believe that unlocking is still possible and that, by activating it, I haven't done anything irretrievably bad that would prohibit me from unlocking it.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by jddphd; 02-22-2006 at 09:51 PM..
Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM   #2
All4Sky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Unlocking goes by IMEI and should not matter whether you activate it with cingular first or not.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Sky
Unlocking goes by IMEI and should not matter whether you activate it with cingular first or not.
Exactly what I was going to say
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
jddphd

cheers

[opens new tab in firefox]
[types www.amazon.com]
Old 02-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
jddphd

[springs for the faster shipping because he needs instant gratification]

[hits PLACE ORDER]

[smiles happily, anticipating phone on Friday]

[hopes Adam is around Friday for unlock purposes!]
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd
[springs for the faster shipping because he needs instant gratification]

[hits PLACE ORDER]

[smiles happily, anticipating phone on Friday]

[hopes Adam is around Friday for unlock purposes!]
Total Amazon Price: $168.97

($149.99 for the phone, $18.98 for one-day shipping -- it was an extra $7 over the 2-day)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
FightingDevil

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I hope this works out....I can't wait for T-Mo to get the 8700 either! If it does, I'm second in line behind you, JD!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
dinga

Model: 8700
Default This deal works for me!

Just want let you guys know, this deal really works! You got the green light! See my post in other thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...629#post178629
Old 02-23-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
jddphd

you were my inspiration dinga

my reason for creating this thread was because i believed you, but had a couple questions about the process you went through, so i figured i'd go through it and take note of the specifics of my experience. cheers for being one of the pioneers.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
FightingDevil

I just called Amazon and talked to a Wireless Rep. She told me that Cingular might tell me I have to return the phone, but Amazon doesn't care. If I want to pay the full price before rebate, that's up to me!!

Order placed!!

Question for you guys: Did you unlock using your Cingular SIM? I still have to go to my local T-Mobile store to get a SIM and an account. Should I unlock with the Cingular SIM, then cancel? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
dinga

Model: 8700

I cancelled cingular account first, then unlock the phone with already inactive cingular SIM and magic code from Adam.

Oh, just one thing for newbies: "jog dial" button is the track wheel on the right side. I couldn't unlock it at begining because I keep pressing on the green "dial" button
Old 02-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
FightingDevil

Sounds like a plan to me!! Amazon Prime next day delivery has it coming tomorrow...hopefully I can run home and sign for it and email Adam the IMEI so I can hit the T-Mobile store on Saturday and activate it for them!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

wouldn't it just be easier to break into a Cingular store and snatch one for yourself? No shipping charges, no waiting....instant gratification, and not much different from what you're trying to accomplish....which is to get the Blackberry for a steal
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingDevil
I just called Amazon and talked to a Wireless Rep. She told me that Cingular might tell me I have to return the phone, but Amazon doesn't care. If I want to pay the full price before rebate, that's up to me!!
Well that's the 2nd person who's heard from Amazon that we can keep the thing if we cancel the plan & they aren't going to demand the phone back. Good news.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
swizz152

Model: 8320

I was thinking about going this route and read the fine print on Cingular's website...

"If I terminate this Agreement before expiration of my Service Commitment, I will pay Cingular an Early Termination Fee of $175 for each wireless telephone number associate with this service. If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply. Minutes will be depleted according to usage in the following order: night and weekend minutes, mobile to mobile minutes, anytime minutes and rollover minutes. "

So according to what Cingular says, the phone has to be returned. That is however on their website under the presumption the 8700 was purchased there. Buying from Amazon allows us to avoid sending the phone back?

Just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
jddphd

You read that on Cingular's website. The Ts & Cs on Amazon's are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
30 DAY CANCELLATION POLICY: I may terminate this Agreement within thirty (30) days after activating service without paying an Early Termination Fee. I will pay for service fees and charges incurred through the termination date, but Cingular will refund my activation fee, if any, if I terminate within three (3) days of activating the service. Also, I may (emphasis added) have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with this Agreement. If I terminate after the 30th day but before expiration of the Agreement's Service Commitment, I will pay Cingular an Early Termination Fee for each wireless telephone number associated with the service.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
jddphd

YOUR AMAZON ORDER HAS SHIPPED!

Hooray!

BUT...

I received another email indicating that my phone had already been activated!

You know what that means?

It means it's a damn good thing that I got the fast delivery option! Had I cheaped out and chosen standard delivery/shipping I might have been outside the 3 day window they allow for refunding my $35 activation fee!

THOSE BASTARDS!

Mental note: It seems like the 2-day shipping is the minimum you want to do. I paid for $19 for next day and 2 day would have cost me $12. It's actually the only way you'll end up ahead of the game. I'd probably recommend the next-day option frankly, in the event it takes them a while to fulfill your order. It's about 24 hours since I put my order in. I put it in the 22nd, it's now the 23rd (10:30 ET) and it should be here tomorrow the 24th. My estimated delivery has been the 24th since I first submitted my order.

Note that their shipping advice indicates the package was sent UPS NEXT DAY SAVER, which suggests to me that it won't arrive till tomorrow afternoon (here's hoping Adam of GSMPS fame doesn't head out to his local tavern early tomorrow ).

One caveat here while I'm at it: YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! I'm happy to document my experience, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen the same way for you. Anyone who's ever shopped at Amazon knows that sometimes there are delays between when they say your order will be ready and when it actually ships. So don't blame me if your sh*t arrives late!

Last edited by jddphd; 02-24-2006 at 08:19 AM..
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #18
swizz152

Model: 8320

Quote:
You read that on Cingular's website. The Ts & Cs on Amazon's are different.
Cool.. I'll be watching, to see how your experience works out.. thanks for taking out the time...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #19
jddphd

Feb 24, 2006 08:05:00 AM ALEXANDRIA VA US Out for delivery
Feb 24, 2006 08:00:00 AM ALEXANDRIA VA US Arrival Scan
Feb 24, 2006 06:54:00 AM CHANTILLY VA US Departure Scan
Feb 24, 2006 06:24:00 AM CHANTILLY VA US Arrival Scan
Feb 24, 2006 05:03:00 AM LOUISVILLE KY US Departure Scan
Feb 24, 2006 12:57:00 AM LOUISVILLE KY US Shipment picked up from seller's facility
Feb 23, 2006 08:58:33 PM US Carrier notified to pick up package
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
FightingDevil

Quote:
YOUR AMAZON ORDER HAS SHIPPED!

Note that their shipping advice indicates the package was sent UPS NEXT DAY SAVER, which suggests to me that it won't arrive till tomorrow afternoon (here's hoping Adam of GSMPS fame doesn't head out to his local tavern early tomorrow ).

One caveat here while I'm at it: YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! I'm happy to document my experience, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen the same way for you. Anyone who's ever shopped at Amazon knows that sometimes there are delays between when they say your order will be ready and when it actually ships. So don't blame me if your sh*t arrives late!
How true...I have to call Amazon at 10am. My order seems to be delayed by something on Cingular's side, missing information or something like that! I paid for next day shipping, so the pro-rated charges shouldn't be too bad!!
Closed Thread