BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
tratan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8700c unlocked used with t-mobile...will I lose my zen (and others unlocked) theme if I download this version?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #42
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Dimension Zen Today and Icon are the default installed themes, although their look has changed a little.
The rest that can be unlocked are here: How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ
Any 4.1.0 themes you had (aside from those made in theme builder) will not work in 4.2.1
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #43
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
YMMV, but I love 4.2 over 4.1.
And what, pray tell, does "YMMV" mean?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Well everyone, I tried 4.2... for about an hour or 2. I hated it. I need to get to bed, so I'll be brief right now. I'll fill in the rest of the story in a day or 2. But long story short, it actually IMPAIRED some of the functions I use. And I had a HORRIBLE night/early morning because of it. Just getting my rolled back to 4.1.0.346 was far more of a hassle than it should've been. But I'll tell that story later. For now, I'll just say that 4.2 gets a big, fat HELL NO from me!
OK, following up on this post from last night, here's the problems I experienced:
  1. 4.2 decided I had too many wallpapers stored in my "Pictures" section, because it deleted a couple AND refused to let me save any new ones! It was limiting me to a cap of 12 MB, although I could increase it, if I chose, to 15 MB! Ooooh, that's just soooo much better than 4.1.0.346, which apparently has NO cap! *rolls eyes*
  2. My themes for 4.1 did not work correctly, and I didn't like the changes in the 4.2 version of Dimension Zen!
  3. I could no longer use my tethered modem function (although I may have only needed to spend a couple minutes checking all my modem settings in case any got changed or deleted)
  4. When I went to roll back the OS to 4.1.0.346, my BlackBerry got hung-up on one of the reboots. It would turn on for a couple seconds, then turn off with a solid red LED for a few seconds, then come on for a few seconds, then off... first time that's ever happened to me. I had to call T-Mobile, who transferred me to a RIM tech support rep. It took an hour or more on the phone to finally get the working again! Of course, it might've gone quicker if they'd given me a tech support rep who was in the USA or Canada instead of SINGAPORE! The guy didn't understand English as well as was necessary, so I kept having to explain things 2-3 times to get him to understand what I was saying!
So, that's it, I'm done with 4.2. I won't try again until T-Mobile officially releases it... if they ever release it. Apparently, T-Mobile's testers do a better job of certifying these OS releases than any other carrier's testers, and that's why they haven't released it yet. That's just my educated guess, anyway.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #44
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Nothing you've mentioned is a bug - mostly just personal dislikes or resistance to change - so count on t-mobile delivering the same "problems"
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #45
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
And what, pray tell, does "YMMV" mean?!?
Internet speak for "Your Mileage May Vary".
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #46
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
And what, pray tell, does "YMMV" mean?!? OK, following up on this post from last night, here's the problems I experienced:
  1. 4.2 decided I had too many wallpapers stored in my "Pictures" section, because it deleted a couple AND refused to let me save any new ones! It was limiting me to a cap of 12 MB, although I could increase it, if I chose, to 15 MB! Ooooh, that's just soooo much better than 4.1.0.346, which apparently has NO cap! *rolls eyes*
  2. My themes for 4.1 did not work correctly, and I didn't like the changes in the 4.2 version of Dimension Zen!
  3. I could no longer use my tethered modem function (although I may have only needed to spend a couple minutes checking all my modem settings in case any got changed or deleted)
  4. When I went to roll back the OS to 4.1.0.346, my BlackBerry got hung-up on one of the reboots. It would turn on for a couple seconds, then turn off with a solid red LED for a few seconds, then come on for a few seconds, then off... first time that's ever happened to me. I had to call T-Mobile, who transferred me to a RIM tech support rep. It took an hour or more on the phone to finally get the working again! Of course, it might've gone quicker if they'd given me a tech support rep who was in the USA or Canada instead of SINGAPORE! The guy didn't understand English as well as was necessary, so I kept having to explain things 2-3 times to get him to understand what I was saying!
So, that's it, I'm done with 4.2. I won't try again until T-Mobile officially releases it... if they ever release it. Apparently, T-Mobile's testers do a better job of certifying these OS releases than any other carrier's testers, and that's why they haven't released it yet. That's just my educated guess, anyway.
WOW, I've upgraded my bb each time a newer version of 4.2 has come out and have never had a single problem. I guess some people are just luckier than others.........or whatever. And one other thing, what exactly makes your guess "educated"? Seems to me that you just said it because it sounds good since there is no way to be educated at making a guess like that.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #47
Volfan

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

4.2 working great here with T-Mobile and BES.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #48
A4Pike

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

Right, my turn... and yes, I have SEARCHED...

Where in the world do I change the theme sounds now? I want to change the sound for text messages, and there is no option... HELP!!!!

Thanks...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 AM   #49
A4Pike

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Pike View Post
Right, my turn... and yes, I have SEARCHED...

Where in the world do I change the theme sounds now? I want to change the sound for text messages, and there is no option... HELP!!!!

Thanks...
Nevermind... I am a friggin idiot...

hahahaha
Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #50
sunshinedc

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMo

Aiight. Help me out here peeps.

I did the upgrade, and hate the new version of Zen. You can't change the icons around? WTF?

I downloaded the alx file, but how do I install it? I looked at this guide but it didn't seem to help. Not only are the directories different now, I can't find the alx to replace.

If the version of Zen attached to this thread isn't the original, just tell me to shut it and I'll move on with my life.

Grassyass
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #51
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinedc View Post
Aiight. Help me out here peeps.

I did the upgrade, and hate the new version of Zen. You can't change the icons around? WTF?

Grassyass
Yes you can. Scroll the wheel to the last icon on the home screen (6th position) and click the wheel. On the resulting page move the icons where you want them. The first 5 icons will be the ones that show up when you go back to the home screen. (by pushing the button below the scroll wheel a few tmes.)

I assume you know to alt+click wheel to move each icon, right?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #52
sunshinedc

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMo

No, I did not! Woo hoo! You are my new BFF.

Thanks Scott
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #53
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well, same issue as the previous Vodafone install. I no longer have the Send option when composing new emails or replying to one after upgrading to 4.2. I did a re-activation and discovered that a bunch of services appear to be missing. I'm guessing my BES is on 4.1 handheld software higher than that won't work?

Last edited by dcpuser; 06-21-2007 at 02:20 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #54
SugarDaddy

Model: 8120
Exclamation Whats Going On?

WTF.......I had migrated into this handheld release from AT&T successfully, I had used it for a couple of days without any problems. My phone is an 8700g from Tmobile USA. I have the latest release of the Desktop Manager from the BB website, as well as the latest 4.2 handheld OS release from AT&T. All of a sudden ever since 8PM today, my network will not initialize??? And the Network settings are set to AT&T and Automatic? When I do manual I get an error message on the last screenshot. I called Tmobile (didnt mention I had OS 4.2, so they don't blame me for messing up the phone), they said their network is fine. I always get full EDGE reception in my house in LA, so this is strange. Anybody else ran into this today??

**UPDATE**......So let me elaborate on how this happened....on Thursday my phone was working fine, perfect during the day, when I was about to make a call at around 8PM today, it wouldnt go through, but although I had data going in and out successfully....and like 5 minutes later, the whole connection went out, no inbound outbound calls, no data, and I got the " Initialization Failed " message on top....so I what I did is I went back to Tmobiles latest 4.1 release and it worked fine, then I uninstalled Desktop Manager as well as the Tmobile 4.1 release and installed the latest Desktop Manager release 4.2.2 from the BB website, and downloaded this release of the AT&T Handheld OS, and SUCCESSFULLY managed to wipe and install this version. The connection did detect as TMOBILE (everything suddenly worked perfectly once again), but once I went into my BIS settings on the Tmobile.com website to send my Service Books, that's when it happened once again. Now I ask WTF is happening? Is this an OS issue? Tmobile issue? Or AT&T is smart to block out other providers? I doubt it's the phone or the SIM card. Any input?

**UPDATE 2** I managed to successfully wipe and reinstall from another computer I have at home, and now the network is T-MOBILE but it is showing up as GSM and not EDGE? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

**UPDATE 3** It works OK now, EDGE network did detect after a while the phone was on. A day of torture and headache, but as long is it's fixed now I'm happy.

If anyone runs into the same problem, try Installing latest BB Desktop Manager and the Handheld Software on another computer and wipe and reinstall the OS.

"

Last edited by SugarDaddy; 06-22-2007 at 02:55 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #55
Volfan

I had to resend my service books just the other day and all is still working great here! 8700g on Tmobile.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #56
Svenster

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Same issue here, but I have 8700c and BES and upgraded to 4.2 on Tuesday. First couple days, no problems then Friday evening, the 8700c lost network reception and now it will not detect any networks. The signal meter just shows an "X", tried pulling the battery numerious times, turned wireless on and off, when into setup and turned wireless on and off, and it still shows the dreded "X" in the signal icon. Anyone have any ideas that I can try?

Last edited by Svenster; 06-25-2007 at 12:35 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #57
Votech

Default Can't sync wirelessly after upgrade

On Monday I downloaded and installed the latest handheld (4.1.0.346) and desktop (4.2.1.17b) software available from the the T-Mobile site to my 8700g. After upgrading, I could no longer receive or send e-mail on my using my work e-mail account. I had our I.T people remove and reinstall my I.D. on the BES but still could not complete the enterprise activation. On my 3rd call to T-Mobile a very nice young lady was able to activite my e-mail for me. However, my Outlook Calendar, Notes, Tasks and addressbook will not sync wirelessly with my like they had before. I have checked the options on my and the option to reconcile wirelessly is present for my e-mail only, not the other PIM functions.

I suspect I may have selected a wrong option in setting up the Desktop Manager software but so far nobody can tell me for sure.
When installing the software, under Integration Options, I selected Exchange Server (which our company uses). Should I have selected Enterprise Server (which our company also uses) instead? Will selecting that option restore my ability to sync wirelessly with my office data?
I know I can count on the members of this forum to get a newbie back on the right track
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #58
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

All you needed to do was call your BES admin and have them give you a new activation password.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #59
Votech

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

All you needed to do was call your BES admin and have them give you a new activation password.

Thanks John for the reply but I wish it was that easy. I did exactly what you suggested yesterday but still could not activate. T-Mobile phone support just had me perform a wipe of my which did nothing. I will try again with the BES Admin in the morning. T-Mobile says my problem has nothing to do upgrading the handheld software
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

And, for once, they are correct. If the activation is not completing then you likely have something corrupt in your data being sync'd. Make sure you are in good coverage area (3-4 bars min.) Do a security wipe on the device (Options >Security Options >General Settings >menu key-Wipe handheld) and then have your IT dept give you another activation password. Many times it just takes a long time for the sync. The biggest culprit is phone logs. They need to be cleaned out from time to time as the BES records them all. thousands of phone logs can make the activation take hours.
Closed Thread